British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

Help Save British Motosport!

I have just seen this on the SGB Website and thought it worthy to share with Forum Members.

There is a Petition to sign.

I have taken this verbatim from the SCB Website:

BRITISH Speedway fans, riders, management and officials are encouraged to sign an online petition following recent talk of new Government insurance being introduced for vehicles that could drastically impact all motor and motorcycle sport.

In the landmark ‘Vnuk’ case, the European Court of Justice ruled in 2014 that the EU’s 2009 Motor Insurance Directive required insurance policies to cover all possible third-party accidents in all places and at all times. In some countries, including the United Kingdom and Ireland, governments had interpreted the law as meaning that it only applies to vehicles driven on public roads, however it is now clear that the judgment means that national laws must be changed to ensure that all mechanically propelled vehicles are insured for third-party losses regardless of type of use, in all places, at any time. This applies to everything from Formula One racing cars, to mobility scooters, to antique trams and everything in-between. Industry experts have already claimed that the risks associated with providing insurance cover to all motorised vehicles mean that they would be prohibitively expensive to insure, thus effectively outlawing all motorsport activities across the United Kingdom.

HM Government opened a consultation on Wednesday 21st December with two clear options. First, to pursue the “Comprehensive option” which would involve changing UK motor insurance law to comply with the Motor Insurance Directive as interpreted in the Vnuk judgement. Second, the Government’s preferred “Amended Directive option” which would involve changing UK law on motor insurance to implement the Motor Insurance Directive as amended, should the European Commission pursue its proposal to amend it.

While the United Kingdom remains a member of the European Union, the UK is obligated to make this change. We, the undersigned petition HM Government through the Secretary of State for Transport, The Rt. Hon. Chris Grayling, M.P., asking that HM Government under no circumstances implements the 'Vnuk' judgement in a way that encompasses vehicles involved in motor and motorcycle sport activities.

Full details are available here: http://www.fightvnuk.co.uk

Please sign the petition here: http://bit.ly/2i6Cgsf

This petition will be delivered to:
Secretary of State for Transport, The Rt. Hon. Chris Grayling.

Share This: facebook.png twitter.png
I have just signed.
Edited by The White Knight

Think this is the third time this has been posted over the past couple of months?ACU press release and threat to speedway?

• Like 1

Think this is the third time this has been posted over the past couple of months?ACU press release and threat to speedway?

I did have a look iris123 - but I couldn't see anything.

Was the Petition included on the other ones?

Petition signed. Typical EU balderdash!!

to help save British Motosport, folk should vote with their feet and not with their fingers ;)

More alarmist nonsense by the usual EU bashers.

The European Commission has already announced that it intends to fix this issue, by changing the wording of the European Motor Insurance Directive, to make it clear that it is only intended to cover vehicles being used for transport purposes on public roads or on areas accessible to the public.

• Like 1