British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Exactly How Much Weaker Is This Years League?

I think the Elite teams from last year will have a shock reverting back to the Premier League race format. Last year Heat Leaders v Heat Leaders, Second Strings v Second Strings and Reserves v Reserves gave an unbalanced score, this year much harder for a reserve to go through the card (Newman nearly an 8 point average last season) whereas some good heat leaders barely got a 7 point average (Freddie Lindgren last season)

The big mistake though will be, with so many double up riders at the end of the season, as I understand the bottom team in the Premiership (possibly Coventry) will play the top Championship team (possibly Ipswich) then Heat 1 race card will have Danny King (Coventry) v Danny King r/r (Ipswich) Oh dear it could only happen in speedway.

• Like 1

The big mistake though will be, with so many double up riders at the end of the season, as I understand the bottom team in the Premiership (possibly Coventry) will play the top Championship team (possibly Ipswich) then Heat 1 race card will have Danny King (Coventry) v Danny King r/r (Ipswich) Oh dear it could only happen in speedway.

actually it would be Danny King (Coventry) guest v Danny King (Ipswich) 😜😛

Until buster sorts out no double uppers then the sport will not be taken seriously and its at the level now where riders should not be professional and should get income from elsewhere.well some will be pro still but you get what I mean we live in a world of status

Would be better if teams owned the bikes, paid the costs etc and riders just turned up to race then what they earn prize money wise would be enough over a 30 meeting season

But sponsorship and gate receipts would have.to increase to allow teams to do this

I don't think this is a problem Buster can sort. The true state of the game is that there isn't enough riders to fill all the team spots without paying over the odds for the top ones, and secondly there are a lot of riders who what to ride more in the effort to earn an extra dollar.

The days when speedway was a part-time game has long gone, and riders need to earn as much as possible to meet their increasing costs. For these reasons 'Double Uppers' will always be part of the sport nowadays.... Probably making a unified rule regarding fixture clashes would be a better way to go........

If you have two regional divisons of 12 then you have more than enough riders for 6 man squads there is really no excuse.

Riders need to earn more but clubs need to earn more, thats why maybe standard engines to reduce cost, 13 heats so less cost to both rider and club

Riders race more to earn more but with more races their costs are higher.

30 meetings a season would be enough, speedway is at the level of the national league in football, some teams or players are full time some are not

If you have two regional divisons of 12 then you have more than enough riders for 6 man squads there is really no excuse.

Riders need to earn more but clubs need to earn more, thats why maybe standard engines to reduce cost, 13 heats so less cost to both rider and club

Riders race more to earn more but with more races their costs are higher.

30 meetings a season would be enough, speedway is at the level of the national league in football, some teams or players are full time some are not

13 heats would mean cheaper entrance then so never going to happen.

There is no way enough riders to fill all the team spots for just one team if the leagues were ever to merge. Perish the thought if that were to happen.

I don't know how much weaker the league is in comparison to last year...but I do know it looks weak....when I first started to go it was the big names that I wanted to see..those were the names I wanted to see..the names that made me go back every week....I went to Ellesmere Port some weeks as well and it just wasn't the same..nothing to do with racing quality ..it was just a feeling that I knew the riders were not as good...I would see Steve Finch go through the card and be a hero to the fans there knowing I would see him riding for Belle Vue the next night and score a couple of points ...so I liked the fact I was watching the big names..the stars of the sport.

Looking at today's teams it doesn't excited me...it doesn't make me want to make the effort to actually go to meetings any more.

How much are entry prices at the moment ?..I honestly don't know....I can get a season ticket at Lancashire cricket for every T20 and one day match for my son for £30..or a fiver per match for T20'sale .great value...I would suspect that speedway doesn't give quite the same value for money for the standard of riders currently on display.

This is more about guaranteeing rider availability than cutting costs - would be nice to see regular teams of 7 riders - rather than R/R and Guests. Costs appear to be the same as last year as admission prices remain the same.

I don't think this is a problem Buster can sort. The true state of the game is that there isn't enough riders to fill all the team spots without paying over the odds for the top ones, and secondly there are a lot of riders who what to ride more in the effort to earn an extra dollar.

The days when speedway was a part-time game has long gone, and riders need to earn as much as possible to meet their increasing costs. For these reasons 'Double Uppers' will always be part of the sport nowadays.... Probably making a unified rule regarding fixture clashes would be a better way to go........

I think speedway in this country will have to revert back to being an amateur sport the money will not be there for it to remain professional. The riders will have to go back to working as well

Since when has speedway riders (in all divisions it would seem) think they have a divine right to be professional. I remember riders strapping their bikes on the boot of the car (heats leaders in the Championship no less) none of this great big van with multiple bikes in them.

Don't give me the response of "well they risk their lives" yes they do, but so do grasstrack riders who sometimes have to pay to enter a meeting with a pittance for prize money. Yes, I will like the riders to earn MORE but its simple economics. reduce your outlay on equipment and get a part time job to fund your speedway addiction.