British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wombwell 1964 And 1965

There has been comment elsewhere in 'Years Gone By' regarding training-practice action at the old Station Road track in Wombwell in 1964 and 1965.

Is more known about this activity please?

There has been comment elsewhere in 'Years Gone By' regarding training-practice action at the old Station Road track in Wombwell in 1964 and 1965.

Is more known about this activity please?

Seem to remember Sheffield rider Arnold Haley had something to do with it. If you look on the John Somerville Photo Collection at http://www.skidmarks1928.com and go to "Speedway Stadia mainly by John Jarvis", and scroll down to Wombwell there are some pictures of 1960's action.

Bit more info found. Promoters were J.C.Ward and P.A.Hattersley. Frank Varey built and loaned a bike for use. First session in 1964 was on 7th June and last 1st November. Track reopened following year on 7th March. Riders known to have visited track that year included Ray Wilson, Eric Boocock, Stan Holey and Alan Jay.

Edited by HertsRacer
  • Like 1

i think Bob Paulson rode there a few times as well

I think the track was where the athletics stadium / go cart track now are.

easily see on google earth

Edited by The Third Man

Been thru' Wombwell a couple of times recently. I guess that there is no longer any sign of the track...probably had a supermarket built upon it!

Been thru' Wombwell a couple of times recently. I guess that there is no longer any sign of the track...probably had a supermarket built upon it!

I think the track was where the athletics stadium / go cart track now are.

easily see on google earth

• Like 1