British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

The fact tsunami (the official but unofficial voice of the BSPA) has not been on this thread to defend these rumours speaks volumes

or he might just be on holiday ;)

Can we just pull things back to basics for a moment?

Other than rumours and people being told things by people who apparently know stuff, what EVIDENCE is there that SkySports have pulled the plug? A statement perhaps by one of the affected parties? Although there are no events listed (the season is still some weeks in the distance) this page is still live on the SkySports web site. You'd have thought that if they had pulled the plug, they would have removed this by now?

And likewise, what evidence is there that BT will be providing coverage instead? This last point is especially relevant in view of their £1.2Billion deal to extend their coverage of the Champions League. Even BT don't have a bottomless pit of money.

I believe flagrag who is known to be part of the production team or something like that has alluded to the withdrawal of sky, but hasnt gone into huge detail for obvious reasons.

I think we all hope its rumour mongering but when someone like flagrag virtually confirms it, i think we need to realise its likely to be true.

I'm not so sure he did allude to Sky leaving as he said "...and have already heard some good things about the coverage". Now to me, that implies that he's seen or heard about forthcoming productions. Would he get to hear about BT's forthcoming coverage if he's employed by Sky?

It's a terrible inditement that British Speedway sold out for a mess of pottage. Going back to when the individual Speedway finals which held at Wembley and all the profits were shared out among the British league teams .Now British Speedway has no control on the world championships and do no receive a penny from it. How did they let all this getaway?

NOT strictly true. BSI do pay the BSPA re the British GP although, in fact, they don't have to. The BSPA have nothing to do with the World Championshiop, it is an FIM event and it is the ACU who are an affiliate.

The BSPA have nothing to do with the World Championshiop, it is an FIM event and it is the ACU who are an affiliate.

Yes, but the FIM would have had nothing if the BSPA and other professional leagues didn't allow their contracted riders to be used for free. As with F1, those actually at the coal-face should have insisted on a cut of the money brought in.

And as far as I know, the BSPA are still associate members of the FIM.

• Like 1

And as far as I know, the BSPA are still associate members of the FIM.

Through ACU.

Cant really see that the FIM would have more than one member in any country. Remember some Russian riders being told to drive back home from an ice racing quali in Finland since they were not sent by the correct Russian federation. To this day I cant understand how it happened... :lol::rofl:

As I posted originally all I can confirm at present is that British Speedway will be on TV in 2017 and that there will be some improvements to the coverage and the viewers experience.

Taking off my business hat and as a loyal Speedway fan this is the most important thing that fans can watch Speedway on TV with subscription to the required channels.

On a side note I have been told and have read articles about how BT Sport will be making improvements to their GP coverage with more presentation and interviews being done from the track.

They have just contracted Timeline OB to use their new combined 4K uplink & OB unit to provide the facilities for this.

• Like 8

Cant really see that the FIM would have more than one member in any country.

There's only one recognised national federation per country/territory (which is the ACU for Great Britain), but other motorcycling industry bodies or promoters can be associate members.

The BSPA is listed as an Associate Member on the FIM website http://www.fim-live.com/en/fim/the-federation/associate-members/

There's only one recognised national federation per country/territory (which is the ACU for Great Britain), but other motorcycling industry bodies or promoters can be associate members.

The BSPA is listed as an Associate Member on the FIM website http://www.fim-live.com/en/fim/the-federation/associate-members/

Ok.

I WAS actually at the FIM Congress when the BSPA were granted Associate Membership and their representatives at the CCP meetings were under the mis-apprehension that they would be afforded a vote. Of course they weren't and although allowed to sit at the table, the power remained with the ACU rep.

I WAS actually at the FIM Congress when the BSPA were granted Associate Membership and their representatives at the CCP meetings were under the mis-apprehension that they would be afforded a vote. Of course they weren't and although allowed to sit at the table, the power remained with the ACU rep.

You don't always need to be able to vote. You should still be able to influence things if you're sitting in the room, or more particularly in the bar afterwards.

If they can't even persuade the ACU rep sitting in the CCP to represent their interests, then that's truly woeful.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Can we just pull things back to basics for a moment?

Other than rumours and people being told things by people who apparently know stuff, what EVIDENCE is there that SkySports have pulled the plug? A statement perhaps by one of the affected parties? Although there are no events listed (the season is still some weeks in the distance) this page is still live on the SkySports web site. You'd have thought that if they had pulled the plug, they would have removed this by now?

And likewise, what evidence is there that BT will be providing coverage instead? This last point is especially relevant in view of their £1.2Billion deal to extend their coverage of the Champions League. Even BT don't have a bottomless pit of money.

The subscription television coverage is just a small part of BT Group plc. Last year they bought the British mobile phone operator EE for £12.5 billion, and the companies assets are listed as approx 43 billion dollars, so I don't think they need to worry about the cost of covering speedway (if in fact the rumours are true) too much.

I did not even know about this until Friday and it was Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum that told us about the possibility of Sky not doing speedway this year.

Off stage Kelvin thought it was not going to happen so if them two are not sure something is up because they should be signed up by now I would think.

One that has to be remembered in broadcasting things can change very quickly. One minute you think that you are going on one direction and then another factor can happen which changes the direction that you were previously working on.

Only last week I thought that we was going to be using some specific technology for the upcoming Cricket season I had researched the product at length wrote up my findings ,Negotiated the pricing and agreed the dates. For then two days later being told change of plan we want to do it this way instead. That's just the nature of media and Broadcasting