British Speedway Forum

Trouble is they are running out of places !! staging clubs- like Gorican, Krsko . Daugavpils etc etc need to be able to make a profit on staging a GP and sadly it looks as if they try but it just doesn`t stack up and they say enough is enough. that`s why BSI are always looking for new places to make a few quid for themselves ;)

Of course.That is no surprise.Humphrey has been stating that for a decade or so,much to Phils chagrin :P Just waiting for f-s-p to make a bid :t:

• Like 2

PLENTY of places want a SGP but sadly they are mostly in Poland. Current problems centre around the lack top riders who put bums on seats.

If the likes of Rickardsson, Pedersen at his best, Crump, etc were still riding the scenario would be very different.

The SGP can only be as good as the riders competing and at present the only country with a healthy stock of talent is, again, Poland.

Looks like next year's World Champion will be crowned in Torun, which is a good thing.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

PLENTY of places want a SGP but sadly they are mostly in Poland. Current problems centre around the lack top riders who put bums on seats.

If the likes of Rickardsson, Pedersen at his best, Crump, etc were still riding the scenario would be very different.

The SGP can only be as good as the riders competing and at present the only country with a healthy stock of talent is, again, Poland.

Looks like next year's World Champion will be crowned in Torun, which is a good thing.

Would agree with most of that

Have to disagree (Sorry Phil!) With all the advantages the Polish boys already have I think it isnt ideal to have the final round there. Also think it is such a shame they couldn't make the Etihad work. Superb venue in a wonderful city on a completely Neutral track. Seems a lot fairer and more prestigious to me. And all the riders love going there.

I like the idea of the champ being crowned at a European venue as that is where the vast majority of the GP fan base lies.

If it's in Poland so what. How many Poles have won a world title in the last 25 years ? This statistic may improve as they have 4 very good riders in the GP series but it's not certain a Pole will win.

Torben Olsen, Managing Director of Speedway GP marketer BSI, will be able to present races at several new venues in the future. "But that depends on the interest there," says the Dane.

For the third time, the Speedway GP will be on the 28th of October 2017 at the magnificent Etihad Stadium in Melbourne's Docklands. Australia is the only World Cup run outside Europe, since the 1995 Grand Prix there was only one other Overseas GP: in Auckland / New Zealand. In the Western Springs Stadium, from 2012 to 2014, the last race there won sensationally Martin Smolinski, thereby providing the only German Grand Prix victory.

Who on earth is proof reading this?

I guess FIFA, the ICC and World Rugby would be surprised to learn they've never run a World Cup outside of Europe, and no doubt many other sports too. And as for Auckland being the only other 'Overseas GP', has the ill-fated Sydney GP in 2002 already been air-brushed out of history?

But I think the key point is 'depends on the interest there'... namely someone willing to stump up the readies.

And promoters willing to pay the asking price...

Written off the Australian GP already then...?

Also think it is such a shame they couldn't make the Etihad work. Superb venue in a wonderful city on a completely Neutral track.

Usual story of the novelty of the first GP at a new venue attracting a half-credible audience, and then nothing being done to build on that, before blaming the local promoters for a lack of effort when they pull the plug in light of unsustainable crowds.

Of course, the get out for Melbourne is the stadium has been taken over by the AFL.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Having been there last year, I saw zero in the way promotion. I dont believe its BSI's fault alone. But does seem silly to go all that way and not promote it.

Who on earth is proof reading this?

Probably no-one.I thought it was just a google translate copied and pasted

I like the idea of the champ being crowned at a European venue as that is where the vast majority of the GP fan base lies.

If there's an Australian GP, it realistically needs to be at the end of the European season. All decent Australian venues will be hosting Aussie Rules and Rugby League from March onwards.

Having been there last year, I saw zero in the way promotion. I dont believe its BSI's fault alone. But does seem silly to go all that way and not promote it.

Whoever's fault it is, it seems to be recurring pattern.

Of course.That is no surprise.Humphrey has been stating that for a decade or so,much to Phils chagrin :P Just waiting for f-s-p to make a bid :t:

I dont have the money and would not put anyone else's money on the line for this. The "product" is spoiled over here. And it's not BSI's fault.

Wales has no speedway clubs but the fans flock to this independent nation so clearly any country could in theory host a round assuming that close by you have a Country that hosts speedway on a regular basis. Why not try France, Spain or Portugal for the end of the season GP finale. As an outside option Cyprus or anywhere in Southern Europe/North Africa where the good weather is guaranteed.

• Like 1

Have to disagree (Sorry Phil!) With all the advantages the Polish boys already have I think it isnt ideal to have the final round there. Also think it is such a shame they couldn't make the Etihad work. Superb venue in a wonderful city on a completely Neutral track. Seems a lot fairer and more prestigious to me. And all the riders love going there.

NOT sure about your last comment. The novelty has worn off and riders aren't over-enthusiastic about travelling round the world at the end of a tiring season. If NZ does return (not next year) it will hopefully start the season when everyone including riders are fresh and roaring to start a new campaign.

Torun, in my view, is perfect for the finale. Terrific stadium and track, full-house making an electric atmosphere, speedway mad town, what's not to like?

Probably no-one.I thought it was just a google translate copied and pasted

IT was ...

Wales has no speedway clubs but the fans flock to this independent nation so clearly any country could in theory host a round assuming that close by you have a Country that hosts speedway on a regular basis. Why not try France, Spain or Portugal for the end of the season GP finale. As an outside option Cyprus or anywhere in Southern Europe/North Africa where the good weather is guaranteed.

Wales isn't independent,is it?It is part of Britain and it was the British Final that acts as a qualifier for the Cardiff GP and it is riders from the British leagues riding on British passes or licences that enter the British Final.Maybe if the meeting was moved to Dublin then we can say it is held in an independent country.....

Wales isn't independent,is it?It is part of Britain and it was the British Final that acts as a qualifier for the Cardiff GP and it is riders from the British leagues riding on British passes or licences that enter the British Final.Maybe if the meeting was moved to Dublin then we can say it is held in an independent country.....

If you live in Wales you are independent. Why would you wish to associate yourself with the rest ✌️✌️. The point is that given it has no speedway teams and effectively it is Scottish and English teams that are the nearest you get you could in theory draw the same parallel by having it in a non speedway nation in Europe providing it is easy to get to by plane, train, car or shanksy pony. In reality who cares apart from the odd 10000 who bother to trek around Europe (exception being Poland and Wales who manage a few more).

If you live in Wales you are independent.

Think they tried with letter bombs back in the 70s and failed miserably.If you live in wales you hold the same passport as someone in England or Scotland until things change,which doesn't seem realistic.You are comparing apples and kiwi fruit

The fact is Wales did have a speedway team running at the same time Cardiff was on the GP schedule.....because that closed down we now only have Cardiff

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1