British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smithers

Most missed Rider

I blame the 'powers that be' for Penhall retiring when he did.

If they hadn't started bringing in stricter testing for certain substances he may have carried on for a few more years ;)

allegedly

I'd quite like to have my team back first.

Where are you, New Cross?

I'd quite like to have my team back first.

Where are you, New Cross?

Unless they've moved it Norbold, just up the road from Deptford! :evil:

For Eastbourne:

As a points scoring machine - Gordon Kennett

For the wow factor - Kelly Moran

For all round team rider - Reg Trott.

As a non rider but for entertainment purpose - Dave Lanning. :D

"Happiness is watching speedway in the British Summer and going to Oz in the winter! "

Couldn't agree more Bryn, as long as you include NZ in that.

For Wimbledon I would have to say I would like to see riders like Nathan Simpson, and Deon Prinsloo.

Deon was fantastic and I think could have gone far in the sport.

It is great to see Todd Wiltshire back.

And I would have to say I agree that Per (Reading) was fantastic, I went to his benifit meeting at reading and am the proud owner of a fantastic large framed picture of Per.

Strange selection for Wimbledon there Montine...

don't know how long you've been going to Plough Lane, but there have been much better entertainers there.

I was taken to Plough Lane first in '67 and have seen quality entertainers in the forms of Tommy Jansson, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Larry Ross, Ed Jancarz, Mike Ferreira, Roger Johns, Kai Niemi and lots more.

To include Nathan and Deon in there is a bit bit strange.

Anders is not in the life anymore :cry:

But the only time I have been at Plough Lane back in 1981 spring Dons v Sheffield He was in the reserve spot, and Malcolm Simmons, Dave Jessup was in the team also. 44-34 to the dons.

Stefan Salomonsson was a very good teamrider. Allways take points and a very important rider to have in a team.

don't know how long you've been going to Plough Lane, but there have been much better entertainers there.

I was taken to Plough Lane first in '67 and have seen quality entertainers in the forms of Tommy Jansson, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Larry Ross, Ed Jancarz, Mike Ferreira, Roger Johns, Kai Niemi and lots more.

I agree Steve - but were you in the loo when Trevor Hedge was riding :?: :)

Anders is not in the life anymore :cry:  

But the only time I have been at Plough Lane back in 1981 spring Dons v Sheffield He was in the reserve spot, and Malcolm Simmons, Dave Jessup was in the team also. 44-34 to the dons.

Stefan Salomonsson was a very good teamrider. Allways take points and a very important rider to have in a team.

Very sad to hear Anders Eriksson has passed away, when did this happen??

I'm not as old as you steve, I only started to go to speedway back in 1987 so therefore you will have seen a lot of other Wimbledon riders in the extra 20 years that you have been going.

I have heard many different story about some of the riders you have mentioned if I had been there during that time I proberly would have a few different riders. :)

I'm not as old as you think Montine... I was 6 weeks old in 1967 when I first went so grew up watching all the riders mentioned.

I agree Steve - but were you in the loo when Trevor Hedge was riding

To be honest Kevin, I don't really have any memories of Trevor Hedge riding...I only listed people I actually remember watching.

Wimbledon have had so many great entertainers over the years it would be impossible to list them all.

I grew up watching Ivan Mauger as he would always stay with us when in London, so I have lots of memories of him riding at Hackney and being jeered at Wimbledon. I always found it quite funny.

Also have vivid memories of staying at his place in Cheshire a few times and sleeping in the same room as the gold bike.

Another thing I laugh at now was at a party at his house after a BLRC at Hyde Road... Ivan hadn't done very well (think he was with Hull at the time) and I remember asking him what went wrong :D :evil:

He must have thought 'annoying little rubbish'. lol

I grew up watching Ivan Mauger as he would always stay with us when in London, so I have lots of memories of him riding at Hackney and being jeered at Wimbledon.

I can remember watching Ivan Mauger at Plough Lane and being amazed at how soon he started to slide his rear wheel going into the corners. He seemied to start the wheel sliding as he passed the start line, but clearly this was the way to ride the track, because on his day, he was unbeatable around Wimbledon.