British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillipsr

Swindon Vs Rye House

Sorry Shadders thought you were going for the last time, only asked as I have never been to the Abbey Stadium, Berrington Lough and Powderhall yes but not Swindon.

Lucky guy. Not been to either of those. Walked round the Lough a few years ago amongst the weeds and derelict buildings before they completely flattened it. Very eerie and dead quiet

Edited by Shads

At around start time I'll be standing in my kitchen in Hoddesdon cooking dinner after a 12 hour shift at work.

First game was October 1970, 4-0 v Everton. My uncle bought a ticket off a tout and bribed the gate man to let me and my brother under the turnstile in the upper east. We sat on his knees. Next game was Boxing Day same year, 0-0 v Southampton on a snow covered pitch.

Didn't go again until 1975 when I became a North Bank regular when my parents allowed me to go with mates, until 1882 when I decided I wanted some comfort and nabbed a season ticket in the lower East, almost directly behind the away dugout about half way up. Gave that up after the last game at Highbury. I still remember the ticket number. Block J, row L, seat 80. How sad is that?

Nearest thing to a proper pie shop (one that serves liquor) is in Skipton. Been there once. Run by an ex pat up from the smoke. It's not bad, but it looks more like a cafe than a pie shop. Piddling amount of liquor they serve up too.

Blimey shads you are fecking old you went till 1882 ?

• Like 1

Blimey shads you are fecking old you went till 1882 ?

Oh balls. I must make an appointment at the opticians. Arsenal weren't even formed until 1886. Not even gonna bother to edit that post 😂

Edited by Shads

When I got to Berrington Lough it P##sed down which was ironic as the team sponsors were DryBorough

At around start time I'll be standing in my kitchen in Hoddesdon cooking dinner after a 12 hour shift at work. First game was October 1970, 4-0 v Everton. My uncle bought a ticket off a tout and bribed the gate man to let me and my brother under the turnstile in the upper east. We sat on his knees. Next game was Boxing Day same year, 0-0 v Southampton on a snow covered pitch.

Didn't go again until 1975 when I became a North Bank regular when my parents allowed me to go with mates, until 1882 when I decided I wanted some comfort and nabbed a season ticket in the lower East, almost directly behind the away dugout about half way up. Gave that up after the last game at Highbury. I still remember the ticket number. Block J, row L, seat 80. How sad is that?

Nearest thing to a proper pie shop (one that serves liquor) is in Skipton. Been there once. Run by an ex pat up from the smoke. It's not bad, but it looks more like a cafe than a pie shop. Piddling amount of liquor they serve up too.

First game 1962 a draw with Cardiff, then a regular from 1966, tube from souf London on my own at the age of 10, before moving to Swindon, and getting a train up in the 70s to watch Liam Brady save them from relegation. You didn't need a season ticket, just turned up and paid at the turnstile. Pie and mash at Chapel Market then few jars at The Arsenal Tavern. The 60s and 70s were barren times apart from the 71 Double and couple of cups.

In the Adver BWD column today was saying Doyley very unhappy with new tyre regs.

Will go 49-41 to the Robins.

Been once in the last 2 seasons, the LC defeat to Southampton was the last straw. Don't think I've seen a league match there for 3 or 4 years. Highbury was my temple. This place just feels like a corporate machine just there to empty your wallet. To me, Arsenal FC died the day we left Highbury.

Know exactly where you are coming from. I went to school on the forecourt of West Ham as an eleven year old in 66 watching Bobby More training with the like of Hurst Peters Brooking Bonds etc through my Maths class window. My dad first took me as a three year old, i continued it with my Boy at a similar age. Season ticket holder for thirty odd years i last saw football live as a season ticket holder in the last Upton Park season. I was dead set against the move to Stratford, my boy still goes and reckons its awful. I'll never go back and as Shads says asrenal died when they left the great ground that was Highbury west ham too died last may as far as i am concerned. As for Swindon tonight i love the place for no other reason that 1970 was first time i ever went to Speedway outside of London following West Ham and spent a miserable 4 hrs return journey on the coach. Good track to watch from though. Just think that Doyle and Morris will score enough to put the tie beyond us. Hope i'm wrong but i can see three defeats in three nights coming up.

• Like 1

Know exactly where you are coming from. I went to school on the forecourt of West Ham as an eleven year old in 66 watching Bobby More training with the like of Hurst Peters Brooking Bonds etc through my Maths class window. My dad first took me as a three year old, i continued it with my Boy at a similar age. Season ticket holder for thirty odd years i last saw football live as a season ticket holder in the last Upton Park season. I was dead set against the move to Stratford, my boy still goes and reckons its awful. I'll never go back and as Shads says asrenal died when they left the great ground that was Highbury west ham too died last may as far as i am concerned. As for Swindon tonight i love the place for no other reason that 1970 was first time i ever went to Speedway outside of London following West Ham and spent a miserable 4 hrs return journey on the coach. Good track to watch from though. Just think that Doyle and Morris will score enough to put the tie beyond us. Hope i'm wrong but i can see three defeats in three nights coming up.

Upton Park was the place to go for entertainment in London in the 60s, had lots of players with surnames beginning with B. Saw some good games there.

Watched speedway at New Cross Ackney West Am Wimbledon before moving to Swindon. The fans at Blunsdon were more passionate and bigger crowds than in the capital. 1970 was the year the M4 opened, and unfortunately the Lokeren tragedy which was the end of Speedway at Custom House.

The Shabbey Abbey hasn't changed a lot in 47 years, and don't know if we will ever get a new stadium.

Edited by beefy keefy

Bring your chair as there are only about 50 in main stand. Bring a portaloo. Plenty of decent eating places nearby, Jovial Monk, Robins Farm, Harvester,

Cold Harbour, and Monica's, excellent fish n chips by the Monk. You can park there and short walk to stadium, or pay to park at stadium. Couple of snack bars and bars in stadium. Enjoy your visit to The Abbey, and wrap up well, nearly always cold on Blunsdon Hill.

From the Monk, what is the quickest walking route to the stadium?

I know once you could cut straight over the field across the road from the monk which led behind the market but not sure now with it being built on so safe bet is turn left out of the monk and follow the road til the bend where on the right side is a path that still cuts through the existing and houses being built which takes you onto Lady Lane allow about 10 minutes

Come out of the Monk and go to the roundabout next to it.

Turn left and walk to next roundabout go straight across this. Where the road does a sharp turn left there is a footpath on the right.

Walk up the footpath and when it gets to the road turn right.

200 yds along this road is the stadium on the right.

When you leave you may need a torch as sometimes it is difficult to keep on the path

As Orlovski and shocker said, just follow the crowds. Would definitely take torch.

• Like 1

Lucky guy. Not been to either of those. Walked round the Lough a few years ago amongst the weeds and derelict buildings before they completely flattened it. Very eerie and dead quiet

We used to go to Scotland every year as I have an auntie and uncle who live in Edinburgh (still do to this day). In the late 70's he took us to Powderhall to watch Edinburgh v Belle Vue in an inter league challenge. I remember Peter Collins and Chris Morton were riding for Belle Vue. I thought it was wonderful. He also took us to see Hearts v Airdrie in a League Cup game and was a terrible 0-0 draw.

Can anyone tell me what time the car park and the stadium opens please?