British Speedway Forum
stevebrum

Wolves V Belle Vue 18/4/17

I grew up watching at Hyde Road so was probably a bit spoilt...there were some great meetings there...but there were plenty of dire ones as well...

I used to visit Wolves quite a lot in the Ermolenko and Correy days and it was definitely my favourite small track...you rarely saw a bad meeting there..used to follow Bradford and they were quite poor there ..I think often a big size track visiting a small size track is quite often never the best..and vice versa as well ..I remember Belle Vue 64 Eastbourne 14 !!

Never been to the new Belle Vue yet and it looks different to Wolves for sure ..but I've always liked Wolves as a track..definitely the best small track I ever saw...

• Like 1

I used to watch all my speedway on the big fast northern tracks.BV at the old Hyde Rd,Sheffield and one of my favourites the Shay at Halifax.After watching at the dog track for so long the NSS is so much better.Would watch speedway anywhere though.

It's not and that's going to keep the sport here at the level it is, if your happy with that then good for you

In a perfect world and with hundreds of millions I'd knock down every stadium and build the whole thing again.

I'm happy with what I have to watch yes thanks.

In a perfect world every track would be perfectly prepared and all the star riders would be here.

I'm thankful what I have. Ask the many fans who are trackless.

The NSS is an example of what can be achieved. It's hardly likely to be repeated at many other tracks.

I'm sure there are many tracks that you visit that you may deem inferior. But if the fans are happy enough to support their local track it's pretty demeaning to tell them your product is rubbish.

Be grateful you have what you have and you aren't a Coventry fan, for example.

• Like 2

I'm happy with what I have to watch yes thanks.

In a perfect world every track would be perfectly prepared and all the star riders would be here.

I'm thankful what I have. Ask the many fans who are trackless.

The NSS is an example of what can be achieved. It's hardly likely to be repeated at many other tracks.

I'm sure there are many tracks that you visit that you may deem inferior. But if the fans are happy enough to support their local track it's pretty demeaning to tell them your product is rubbish.

Be grateful you have what you have and you aren't a Coventry fan, for example.

Not talking about star riders. Track prep is easy, but too many get it wrong.

I'm talking about the size of tracks, that's where I'd build differently. The bikes now are volatile under low revs and small tracks are very challenging.

As a BV I endured many years of piss taking on this very forum about our old stadium/team/Track etc etc.

I guess what comes around goes around, it's not personal Steve 👍

When it is very grippy then yes engine power is needed, but when it slickens off and although throttle is wide open it takes a lot of skill to ride the right lines with keep your momentum up, riders like Worrall and Cook have found some great lines to pass riders.

Spot on.

Get your wheels out of line on the thing and you are toast. It's so easy to lose speed but equally as easy to gain it. That's what makes the track as good as it is. It's not all about horsepower, that will fast become a misconception

Not talking about star riders. Track prep is easy, but too many get it wrong.

I'm talking about the size of tracks, that's where I'd build differently. The bikes now are volatile under low revs and small tracks are very challenging.

As a BV I endured many years of piss taking on this very forum about our old stadium/team/Track etc etc.

I guess what comes around goes around, it's not personal Steve

Our tracks have always been different shapes and sizes hence why everyone wanted to ride over here for education.

And for me That's the beauty of our leagues.

Bikes are more volatile i grant you but for me the good riders know how to ride technical tracks as it's it own art form in itself. That's why I prefer watching racing on a smaller circuit. You get to see who has a good technical ability.

Nothing personal either.

The racing at monmore may not be as fast or close as NSS but it produces some cracking races when the right riders are involved. Google Darcy Ward and Tai Woffiden.

• Like 1

Our tracks have always been different shapes and sizes hence why everyone wanted to ride over here for education.

And for me That's the beauty of our leagues.

Bikes are more volatile i grant you but for me the good riders know how to ride technical tracks as it's it own art form in itself. That's why I prefer watching racing on a smaller circuit. You get to see who has a good technical ability.

Nothing personal either.

You do but that skill is getting harder and harder since the new silencers came in. That is basically what I'm basing my argument around.

A really good example on Monday was the difference between Bewley and Smith. Bewley looked as though he'd been riding the thing for years, Smith couldn't turn the bike when the track was grippy at the start. As a motorcyclist you have to be a really good one to make Wolves work. Even Lindgren had issues at the start.

I just think with the new silencers and the quality of riders in the league, that if will be difficult to see the quality of racing we once did at Monmore

Small tracks do require different skills but provide a huge home track advantage because the home riders have so many more opportunities to gain those skills. It was the same at the dog track, which was the point Scott Nicholls made when he said we had a big home advantage there which we wouldn't have at the NSS. Where it is a test is for away team riders from big tracks and usually the better riders soon get to grips with the challenge.

It is a matter of personal preference as to whether you prefer watching riders use that home advantage on a well prepared small track or the fast racing on the wide open spaces of a well prepared big track.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

You do but that skill is getting harder and harder since the new silencers came in. That is basically what I'm basing my argument around.

A really good example on Monday was the difference between Bewley and Smith. Bewley looked as though he'd been riding the thing for years, Smith couldn't turn the bike when the track was grippy at the start. As a motorcyclist you have to be a really good one to make Wolves work. Even Lindgren had issues at the start.

I just think with the new silencers and the quality of riders in the league, that if will be difficult to see the quality of racing we once did at Monmore

There are plenty of wolves fans who will say the racing hasn't been at its highest standard for a couple of years and the bikes now may play a huge part in that.

However it's worth noting that quite a few riders just don't know how to set their bike up for Monmore. That has little to do with the bikes and silencers changing in recent years.

Smith could barely turn the bike in heat 2 but that's more to do with the track being much gripper than he is used to quite probably.

The bikes seem to perform better on slicker tracks which for me is a shame. Tracks need dirt on them to provide entrainment throughout the meeting IMHO.

A track like the NSS will provide entertainment slick or grippy dependant on the skill of the rider.

I think Stevebrum often wrongly equates best prepared with produces good racing. It doesn't necessarily follow. However, over many years I have seen some good racing at Monmore Green, although less so in recent years. Last night I thought the racing was good, not excellent. I thought that because despite some strung out races there were a sufficient number of close tussles with a sprinkling of passes. I certainly didn't come away regarding it as a borefest or even anything remotely resembling that.

I don't get the complaint about Aces fans decrying other tracks. Yes, we are fortunate to have the NSS, I enjoyed my speedway more last year than at anytime time since we left Hyde Road. I saw speedway of a standard I thought no longer possible with modern machinery. However, surely we are still entitled to express an opinion about other tracks just as ever other fan. If I go to Poole and it is poorly prepared can I no longer say so or compare it to the NSS.

You are indeed fortunate to watch your speedway at the NSS. Since 2010 when the new silencers came in the modern bikes demand large tracks with plenty of room to race , ideally flat out all the way round. Unfortunately Monmore Green is not like this,its small with throttle control the major key. I would argue with anyone that Monmore green pre 2011 produced speedway racing on a par with any track in the country. Unfortunately this is not the case anymore ( Wolves own Chemical Ali Stevebrum will tell you different ) . The racing is now poor, riders strung out, mostly gate and go and 95 % of passes are up the inside with riders mostly visitors drifting wide, if you get one outside pass in a meeting you have done well. This is not a criticism of the track preparation,its excellent. The people I stand with now choose not to go on a Monday night because the racing is not good enough not because of double points, delays, presentation etc. This is the reason crowds are down at Monmore, you don't need to count you can see it with your eyes, although its denied by the management deny it. Although i've had 6 years to get used to the new product at Monmore I can't , it still narks me to Know what we had. I will watch less speedway at Monmore this year than any of the last 30.

#crying shame

You are indeed fortunate to watch your speedway at the NSS. Since 2010 when the new silencers came in the modern bikes demand large tracks with plenty of room to race , ideally flat out all the way round. Unfortunately Monmore Green is not like this,its small with throttle control the major key. I would argue with anyone that Monmore green pre 2011 produced speedway racing on a par with any track in the country. Unfortunately this is not the case anymore ( Wolves own Chemical Ali Stevebrum will tell you different ) . The racing is now poor, riders strung out, mostly gate and go and 95 % of passes are up the inside with riders mostly visitors drifting wide, if you get one outside pass in a meeting you have done well. This is not a criticism of the track preparation,its excellent. The people I stand with now choose not to go on a Monday night because the racing is not good enough not because of double points, delays, presentation etc. This is the reason crowds are down at Monmore, you don't need to count you can see it with your eyes, although its denied by the management deny it. Although i've had 6 years to get used to the new product at Monmore I can't , it still narks me to Know what we had. I will watch less speedway at Monmore this year than any of the last 30.

#crying shame

That's a super post and exactly how I see it. I think some wolves fans are struggling to accept it. That meeting on Monday was dull. There were 2 good races, one excellent outside pass from Howarth and some first bend first lap passes because of mistakes, they were not genuine passes.

• Like 1

I think Stevebrum often wrongly equates best prepared with produces good racing. It doesn't necessarily follow. However, over many years I have seen some good racing at Monmore Green, although less so in recent years. Last night I thought the racing was good, not excellent. I thought that because despite some strung out races there were a sufficient number of close tussles with a sprinkling of passes. I certainly didn't come away regarding it as a borefest or even anything remotely resembling that.

I don't get the complaint about Aces fans decrying other tracks. Yes, we are fortunate to have the NSS, I enjoyed my speedway more last year than at anytime time since we left Hyde Road. I saw speedway of a standard I thought no longer possible with modern machinery. However, surely we are still entitled to express an opinion about other tracks just as ever other fan. If I go to Poole and it is poorly prepared can I no longer say so or compare it to the NSS.

the tracks that are well prepared are often described as offering good racing. It doesn't mean to say that all of them do all the time.

If course you are entitled to express an opinion on the racing on other tracks. I am not saying that. However when you add the nugget "compared to racing at the NSS, which are spoiled with great racing in every heat" it becomes redundant.

you can't compare racing at any other track to the NSS because it's clearly a different level to any other track in the UK. Constructive criticism is fine however.

I would argue with anyone that Monmore green pre 2011 produced speedway racing on a par with any track in the country. Unfortunately this is not the case anymore ( Wolves own Chemical Ali Stevebrum will tell you different ) .

Tut tut. Someone who doesn't reads posts very widely.

I have mentioned previously that Wolves racing in recent seasons hasn't been up to it's highest standards. (Especially since the lodgers moved in). You only have to look back at some of my match reports in recent seasons to allude to that.

I often use the phrase ' not the quality we are used to'.

Tuesday for me had some excellent battles. Sorry if that offends you for suggesting it was a good meeting.

However I would suggest reading posts wider before you make pathetic accusations.

Edited by stevebrum

There are plenty of wolves fans who will say the racing hasn't been at its highest standard for a couple of years and the bikes now may play a huge part in that.

However it's worth noting that quite a few riders just don't know how to set their bike up for Monmore. That has little to do with the bikes and silencers changing in recent years.

Smith could barely turn the bike in heat 2 but that's more to do with the track being much gripper than he is used to quite probably.

The bikes seem to perform better on slicker tracks which for me is a shame. Tracks need dirt on them to provide entrainment throughout the meeting IMHO.

A track like the NSS will provide entertainment slick or grippy dependant on the skill of the rider.

Smith had engine problems in heat 2, he was pumping the throttle as had no power which meant he had trouble sliding into bends.

Sounds like a normal meeting from wolves.

Who did howarth pass on the outside?

Can't remember specifically I think it was worral