British Speedway Forum
IAN2

Hull City Of Culture 2017

Why are there TWO Threads running on this subject? Could I suggest that the Threads be merged by the Mods please?

maybe its a 'cultural' thing ? you no, people talking about the same thing, but only in a different language,,,

Why are there TWO Threads running on this subject? Could I suggest that the Threads be merged by the Mods please?

Beats me....

It is a belief that for a town to be declared a city it must have a cathedral. Apparently this is not the case. There is no Cathedral in Hull. This a Google reply I received in regard to the matter:

"Do you need a cathedral to be a city?

NO. All UK towns (through their local council) can apply to become a city, whether they have an Anglican cathedral or not. There are 18 cities without a cathedral and 13 towns which have an Anglican cathedral but do not have city status."

It is a belief that for a town to be declared a city it must have a cathedral. Apparently this is not the case. There is no Cathedral in Hull. This a Google reply I received in regard to the matter:

"Do you need a cathedral to be a city?

NO. All UK towns (through their local council) can apply to become a city, whether they have an Anglican cathedral or not. There are 18 cities without a cathedral and 13 towns which have an Anglican cathedral but do not have city status."

Surely in Penge you haven't missed the numerous applications from nearby Croydon to achieve "city" status?Only 5 miles away!!!! :neutral:

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/the-debate-goes-on-why-isn-t-croydon-a-city/story-30241523-detail/story.html

Edited by iris123

"Do you need a cathedral to be a city?[/size]

is White City, a city ?

• Like 1

... and the Vikings easily being the most successful professional sporting team in the city.

You're joking, right? Hull Vikings more successful (in any terms) than Hull City FC, Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers RLFC? You really need to give your head a shake. Compared to football and rugby league, speedway in Hull lasted about five minutes.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

I was reffering to team success, ony once have speedway crowds exceeded that of rugby, fotball, and ice hocey for that matter. Unfortunately speedway in Hull never benefitted from being £100,000's in debt and no one giving a stuff, or help towards a stadium of its own and / or a stadium provided for it (sale of KC shares ?), nor many other avenues of assistance enjoyed by the ice hockey and both rugby and football teams in Hull. Yet, when both rugby teams at different and also the same time, were on their uppers and almost going out of existance, both were grateful for the income speedway provided, as was the ice hokcy wehn the indoor ice speedway meetings were held there. And at one time the speedway promotion were required to co-sign cheques of one of the rugby clubs. And at one time Craven Park could have been bought lock, stock, barrel and speedway track for less than £600,000 (!). But as is often the way, both clubs soon developed very short memories and when their situations improved, were quick to give speedway the boot. That said, as always, there was much more to the demise of speedway in the town than immediately met the eye or was made public.

But I, for one, hold no grudge as none sports of football, rugby or ice hockey do anything for me, and I gain no pleasure in the fortunes or problems of either sport. Indeed the only reason for me to visit the stadia of either sport thas been, or would be, a ground share with speedway, which other than the ice hockey arena is not impossible anymore....

Edited by Martin Mauger

You're joking, right? Hull Vikings more successful (in any terms) than Hull City FC, Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers RLFC? You really need to give your head a shake. Compared to football and rugby league, speedway in Hull lasted about five minutes.

​Speedway failed to last two seasons when first introduced at the old Hedon track in 1948. They upped and moved to Swindon. I had an interest because a neighbour when my family was living at Lewisham in 'Sarf" London was a top rider for the club. He was the legtraiier Mick Mitchell.

Edited by Guest

Incedentally, one item on the City Of Culture programme, so a little bird told me, that I am looking forward to is a huge tribute to and celebration of Mick Ronson, one of Hull's coolest sons.

Obviously I've heard of Mick Mitchell, rode for Hull a good few decades before my time, he and George Craig were heroes of my father when he was but a wee boy. Various prolems arose from operating out of Hedon, correct me if I'm wrong, bit I believe the train service stopping at Hedon Halt was cancelled as was the bus service from Hull and few folk owned cars in those days.

Perhaps you, or anyone, can shed any light on a ride called Alf Downs who apparently had try outs at Hedon ? He is the uncle of friends of mine who hail from the Hedon area and they have shown me pics of their uncle in the fromt garden astride a speedway bike complete with helmet and leathers, but no body colour. Any info appreciated as so far I've drawn a blank....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Incedentally, one item on the City Of Culture programme, so a little bird told me, that I am looking forward to is a huge tribute to and celebration of Mick Ronson, one of Hull's coolest sons.

Obviously I've heard of Mick Mitchell, rode for Hull a good few decades before my time, he and George Craig were heroes of my father when he was but a wee boy. Various prolems arose from operating out of Hedon, correct me if I'm wrong, bit I believe the train service stopping at Hedon Halt was cancelled as was the bus service from Hull and few folk owned cars in those days.

Perhaps you, or anyone, can shed any light on a ride called Alf Downs who apparently had try outs at Hedon ? He is the uncle of friends of mine who hail from the Hedon area and they have shown me pics of their uncle in the fromt garden astride a speedway bike complete with helmet and leathers, but no body colour. Any info appreciated as so far I've drawn a blank....

I made a check in the A-Z of speedway and could find no mention of Alf Downs, although it did name a Phil Downs - but unfortunately at present has no career details for that rider.

​Rearding Mick Mitchell, who had links to New Cross and Bristol. He raced several times at the same tracks as George Craig, and of course both were members of the Swindon team when it entered league race in 1949. I have aa recollection that George later emigrated to Perth, West Australia, and for many years was a regular visitor to the Claremont Speedway in Perth.