British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Sheffield Tigers ( S G B Championship) - Sunday, June 11th (5.30pm)

Scunny needed that hopefully it was the turning point.

Douglas and Auty looking like their old selves. Was Douglas on GTR or his GM?

Well done Scunthorpe, you totally deserved your win, as for Sheffield, Oh dear, when are our promoters going to realise that Todd Kurtz and Rob Branford are not doing the business for the Tigers, time for a change or two, Ok Scunthorpe had a little bit of luck when David Wallinger fell in heat four and was ruled out for the rest of the meeting, meaning that Aarnio had two extra rides, he outscored the dreadful Branford, and our other reserve Layne Cuppitt on his own, but that does not mean Kurtz and Branford can have an afternoon off, they let down the Tigers badly, as I said time for a change.

Edited by STEPHEN 333

Well done Scunthorpe, you totally deserved your win, as for Sheffield, Oh dear, when are our promoters going to realise that Todd Kurtz and Rob Branford are not doing the business for the Tigers, time for a change or two, Ok Scunthorpe had a little bit of luck when David Wallinger fell in heat four and was ruled out for the rest of the meeting, meaning that Aarnio had two extra rides, he outscored the dreadful Branford, and our other reserve Layne Cuppitt on his own, but that does not mean Kurtz and Branford can have an afternoon off, they let down the Tigers badly, as I said time for a change.

Is this a new rule, I thought Scunny would have to run one race with only 1 rider. Surely this rule is open to abuse.

Is this a new rule, I thought Scunny would have to run one race with only 1 rider. Surely this rule is open to abuse.

I thought the same thing yesterday Eric, I always presumed that a reserve had to have 3 riders, even if injured?

Also, since when has the SGP warning rule for jump starts been brought into our leagues? Rob mentioned it over the tannoy yesterday after Branford had moved on 1...

As for the meeting, it really came to life at about heat 10. Poor from the Tigers to not even pick up a point but when it was merely a 4 man team, it will always catch up with you in the end.

Don't agree with the criticism on some riders get though. The reason Kurtz and Branford are on such low averages is down to consistency. Rob's a reserve on a very low average and Todd has been on similar average for a few years now.. That's how you have to build teams with big scoring heat leaders.

Chopping and changing riders so much just because they have a bad meeting now and again, especially on away tracks, is not the answer in my opinion.

Well done Scorpions on the win yesterday. A shame about bad luck for MPT when his bike packed up when getting to the 2nd bend on the 1st lap in heat 1. and similar for Josh having passed opposition to suddenly come to a halt in a later heat. Some lost points there, otherwise the team rode well. Good to have you back Josh looking more like your old self. Hope these are signs of upping the tempo from here on! A nasty looking crash into the fence for our guest reserve who walked away from it. I hope he's not seriously injured and not too much damage to his bike. I hate losing at home so yesterday I come away happy! Thank you team!

• Like 1

I think it's unfair to single out Branford, he fell in Heat 6 and seemed to really struggle after that. Plus all the Tigers bar Howarth seemed to have at least one duff race during the meeting. It would be an understatement to say I'm not well up with the rules, but someone yesterday suggested that if a reserve is withdrawn from the meeting by the Track Doctor, then they are able to fill his rides.

Edited by Tigerblade

Having been critical of Josh Autys performances of late on an other forum I feel its only fair to give credit when its due,Josh's efforts in this meeting were much more like the Josh we all know,along with a much improved Ryan Douglas they provided solid support to Lewis and MPT,a good TEAM performance and a well deserved result.

Most of our rule book is open to abuse.

Don't things change if its an injury replacement ?

If a rider is ruled out through an injury sustained in the meeting, then they don't need to take the minimum number of rides. The rule has been like that for a very long time - going back to the 70s and 80s at least, if not further. Occasionally a team may gain through it.

It's not really open to too much abuse, since it relies on a rider falling off and hurting themselves. But I've known a few controversies down the years. Oxford once had Alun Rossiter pull out of a meeting having aggravated an injury (he hadn't actually fallen off), and then gave 7 (match-winning) rides to fellow reserve Steve Johnston. Strictly speaking, the injury really should have taken place during the actual meeting.

All the best

Rob