British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Wales Top Five

Bit surprised that Howard Cole (Kid Bodie) has not got a mention. I'm sure he was regarded as Welsh in the 60s and 70s. Always open to correction though. As a World Finalist and top league heat leader he would surely come into contention.

Also agree with everyone who has mentioned Ivor Hughes. He looked really good and headed for the top - another of Speedway's tragic might have beens.

Several sources record that Howard Cole was born in Cardiff. Taking this and the probability that Leo McAuliffe was born in London into account, my revised top five is:

1. Freddie Williams

2. Eric Williams

3. Howard Cole

4. Ian Williams

5. Cyril Francis

Another . . . ?

- Glyn Taylor, b. 24 August 1953, Cardiff, Wales

For some reason I always thought Glyn Taylor was a New Zealander or Australian?

For some reason I always thought Glyn Taylor was a New Zealander or Australian?

His father, Chum Taylor from Australia, was with Cardiff in 1952 and at the beginning of the 1953 season, before transferring to Bristol. Glyn was born in Cardiff, but is classed as Australian, same as Bristol-born Jason Crump.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 2

His father, Chum Taylor from Australia, was with Cardiff in 1952 and at the beginning of the 1953 season, before transferring to Bristol. Glyn was born in Cardiff, but is classed as Australian, same as Bristol-born Jason Crump.

Thank you for that BL65 - I appreciate that. :t::approve:

Bit surprised that Howard Cole (Kid Bodie) has not got a mention. I'm sure he was regarded as Welsh in the 60s and 70s. Always open to correction though. As a World Finalist and top league heat leader he would surely come into contention.

Also agree with everyone who has mentioned Ivor Hughes. He looked really good and headed for the top - another of Speedway's tragic might have beens.

Blimey forgotten Howard Cole!

• Like 1