British Speedway Forum
SCB

Buster Chapman - Is He Good For The Sport?

I thought this season league racing was much better compared to years gone by, Shame that this last transfer movement has caused a bit of a stir but on the whole this does seem to have been the best league season in a while. Crowds are in general up, results arent as wide as years gone by, the racing Ive seen (hands up Ive only seen via TV/YouTube) seems to be decent.

GB isnt going to get anywhere near Poland crowds, but we should at the very least strive for what Sweden have. And it's pretty simple how that can be done, only have to look at Belle Vue Wolves the other day. Have a well prepared race track and competitive admission price and you'll be well on your way...

Competitive admission, Its the same for all BT meetings. Didn't add that bit did you.. :o

Aces 51 wrote " This same man is Chairman of the BSPA. It doesn't inspire confidence. Would anybody appoint someone not making a success of their own local business to run a national company? He promised by now to have delivered openness and transparency, a new rule book and a league sponsor but has failed to do so. There can be no excuse for not achieving the first two promises and this is a man who now admits to being petrified of rider power. The sport hasn't got the luxury of time to wait and see if he can eventually deliver what is required. Where is the plan to rebuild the sport? Is it yet another secret to be kept away from those who play a vital role in keeping the sport alive, the fans. Does it even exist? Speedway is on life support and fans are not seeing anything to encourage a belief that those in charge even know what many of the problems are, let alone have workable solutions.

Perhaps it is time for Chapman to step aside and concentrate on rebuilding his own club. The BSPA need someone with the vision and ability to take the sport forward. If there is nobody within their ranks with those abilities they must acknowledge it and look elsewhere for the right person. That is what any sensible business would do. The basic concept of four riders racing on a well prepared track is as capable now of attracting fans as it has ever been. It is all of the other aspects that need action, the rules, the facilities, the PR, the publicity, the continuity of riders in teams, making fans feel valued etc."

​I agree and said elsewhere (but it seem more pertinent in this thread ) -

If the BSPA are serious about wanting to ( needing to ) re-build the sport then they should be asking Buster to step aside. Fans at KL would love to see something of the "old" earlier, energised Buster rebuilding the Stars as a credible club - at any level within speedway. Because it looks as if ( from the outside and no-one knows what it looks like from the inside ) that no-one there has the vision and leadership needed at club level. It would be easy to get the feeling that the sport will not continue at KL next season.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Competitive admission, Its the same for all BT meetings. Didn't add that bit did you.. :o

I didnt know that bit sorry

Point I am making though is more people come if its cheaper..

Yep they would, definately in the summer..

waytogo28 spot on with his comments,Buster seems to have taken on more than he can chew.there doesn't seem to be much delegation amongst the BSPA members

It's a fallacy that lowering the admission by say 50%, means you will get over 100% increase in the gate levels.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

It's a fallacy that lowering the admission by say 50%, means you will get over 50% increase in the gate levels.

If you lower admission by 50% you need a 100% increase in gate levels to offset it

It's a fallacy that lowering the admission by say 50%, means you will get over 50% increase in the gate levels.

Yep we would down here. But if the league keeps dropping we will all be watching NDS eventually. Chapman needs a vote of no confidence.

Edited by Starman2006

I mentioned the good crowd at BV the other week when BT were there with the cameras, and wondered if it had been tried before - that is lower the price regularly to £10.

The comment I got back was the crowds will be there for a few weeks then start to dwindle down to the die hards, so the club is worse off.

If you lower admission by 50% you need a 100% increase in gate levels to offset it

you're back!?!? Did you spend the last couple of years recovering from meeting up with Sidney :rofl:

In all seriousness, welcome back, I for one have missed your postings. Hopefully the NSS has been enough to tempt you back to live speedway as well.

i dont think its even a fallacy, i don't think anyone belives it to be true. And as Oldace mentions you would need a 100% increase not a 50% increase.

What it does show though is that speedway has the potential to significantly improve attendances, and that there is some element of price elasticity in terms of demand, at least on a short term basis.

And people attending a 50% full stadium I would say are more likely to enjoy the experience and want to return than those attending a meeting with a 30% full stadium.

• Like 1

you're back!?!? Did you spend the last couple of years recovering from meeting up with Sidney :rofl:

In all seriousness, welcome back, I for one have missed your postings. Hopefully the NSS has been enough to tempt you back to live speedway as well.

i dont think its even a fallacy, i don't think anyone belives it to be true. And as Oldace mentions you would need a 100% increase not a 50% increase.

What it does show though is that speedway has the potential to significantly improve attendances, and that there is some element of price elasticity in terms of demand, at least on a short term basis.

And people attending a 50% full stadium I would say are more likely to enjoy the experience and want to return than those attending a meeting with a 30% full stadium.

I totally agree.

The problem is getting more folk to attend. How you do that - I don't know.

I totally agree.

The problem is getting more folk to attend. How you do that - I don't know.

A range of ways, most of which have been proposed on here countless times. And none of which, surpising as it may be, is continually diluting the product.

A range of ways, most of which have been proposed on here countless times. And none of which, surpising as it may be, is continually diluting the product.

They would get one back if they got rid of Double Points wkha1.

Actually they might get a few more to return if that happened.

• Like 1

you're correct, you wouldn't, 50 or 100, but you would get an increase and that would be something to build on

this overall lack of income should be compensated by lowering costs - machinery, foreign travel, etc - big ask I know

As I said once before Newcastle get around the same crowd as Blyth Spartans or Gateshead on a good run - they don't fly footballers in from all over Europe

time to get real and accept where we are in the entertainment pecking order, you could take yr other half for a meal or pictures for less than 2 tix for Brough

Correct.