British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swindon V Rye House Thursday 20th July Sgbp

It does seem to be the case that something has happened to bends 1 and 2. It is the case that riders using the outside of bend 2, the bit that Killer used to ride right next to the fence, has lost its speed and grip and that now riders are cutting back and finding a faster line on the inside.

Apart from that it was a good meeting, especially watching Jason back to form getting a max but all the others put in good performances.

I am a little surprised that Adam did not score more from reserve but I appreciate the exclusion did not help him.

The team seems now to have a more balanced look with jason, Nick and David putting in good scores, Tobi and BWD scoring a decent 6 or 7 and the reserves going ok.

We have now won 7 out of the last 7 meetings but many need to attend next week to roar as we see off those pirates.

I agree, the whole of bends 1&2 seem to be ridden completely differently to years past. Perhaps it's the bikes and not the track?

It was interesting to read Toby's comments about Swindon being a 'tight track'...god help him at smaller tracks then. Saying you have to ride the middle of the track as the dirt moves outside. Which as you have noted...there doesn't seem to be any advantage anymore going round the outside...perhaps only on bends 3 and 4.

Swindon's track is tight, long straights into sharp/tight bends, always has been. Obvs nowhere near as tight as Wolves, Eastbourne & Lakeside but it can be a challenge. He will be comparing that to the open track of Poland.

• Like 1

I agree, the whole of bends 1&2 seem to be ridden completely differently to years past. Perhaps it's the bikes and not the track?

It was interesting to read Toby's comments about Swindon being a 'tight track'...god help him at smaller tracks then. Saying you have to ride the middle of the track as the dirt moves outside. Which as you have noted...there doesn't seem to be any advantage anymore going round the outside...perhaps only on bends 3 and 4.

Having thought about bend 2, it is strange because a couple of times this season one or two riders have stormed round the outside of bend 2 and have overtaken those on a tighter line.

I will speak to a couple of the riders and see if they can give me a valid reason for it.

• Like 1

Swindon's track is tight, long straights into sharp/tight bends, always has been. Obvs nowhere near as tight as Wolves, Eastbourne & Lakeside but it can be a challenge. He will be comparing that to the open track of Poland.

Oh for sure, I agree...but it is probably one of the less tight tracks in the UK...that was my point, which I didn't put across very well.

I may have misread what you put in fairness :lol:

Oh for sure, I agree...but it is probably one of the less tight tracks in the UK...that was my point, which I didn't put across very well.

• Like 1

Have they reduced the banking on the corners at Blunsdon?...it certainly looks like it.

It was noticeable how much the riders can really attack bends 3 and 4 and try to make passing moves...but the opposite on bends 1 and 2.

I know it's downhill on the home straight....and it was with a breeze behind...but I've never witnessed riders at Blunsdon struggle around bends 1 and 2 so much.

A dip into bend 1 also seems to have formed. Leading to many of the riders drifting wide, having to lock up or even get out of shape.

I agree with what was said before about the track preparation...it was excellent.

It occurred to me how important it was to get a decent start at Blunsdon...I can't recall seeing so many restarts before there.

Enjoyed watching the new Pole adapt...reminded me a little of Renat Gaforov.

As for Doyle...obviously got fast machinery, but imo, shouldn't be in the same sentence as Leigh Adams, who was different class in many ways. ;-)

I did say Doyle reminded me of Adams for a second or two! That said, Doyle is more likely to become a GP world champion. Something the little master unfortunately was never able to do.

• Like 1

Another great win for the Rockinest ones :t:

Six different Robins got a heat win at Poole, followed by five last night.

Such a shame we won't be able to keep this young side together for future seasons !

Keep it up Swindon :t:

• Like 2