British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Greg Hancock Hurt?

He misses his 2nd GP in 22 years. Who thinks there is any current rider that will ever match that record?

Oh and I think he's qualified every year, no wildcards. (2001 into 2002?)

he went to the gp challenge one year and came through with Scott Nichols and Lukas Dryml

he went to the gp challenge one year and came through with Scott Nichols and Lukas Dryml

He took the "easy" route to qualification that year eh? :wink:

Greg has withdrawn from Saturday's GP

Good.... we may get a racer instead. #NoMoreHanCOCK

I can't believe some of you want to give a wildcard to a man who will be 48 next season. Hardly the future of the SGP is he? Go with the future.

Good.... we may get a racer instead. #NoMoreHanCOCK

I can't believe some of you want to give a wildcard to a man who will be 48 next season. Hardly the future of the SGP is he? Go with the future.

ten years ago noo-one would have said he was the future of the GPS, but he has won three world titles since then...fact is that in 2018 id expect him to perform as well or better than any of the other wildcard candidates.

Let me ask this...

He will be missing tonight, and what will the GP be missing? What will fans miss with Hancock's abscense? He doesn't bring anything to the series... other than an OAP looking ridiculous in a green energy drink cap.

• Like 2

Let me ask this...

He will be missing tonight, and what will the GP be missing? What will fans miss with Hancock's abscense? He doesn't bring anything to the series... other than an OAP looking ridiculous in a green energy drink cap.

And of course the world champion 2 of the last 3 years...it's like saying what did Maugrr bring, given he wasn't a racer like Collins or Olsen.

But he clearly was not going to be WC this season, and age doesn't bring quicker gating reactions, and great fitness levels as a general rule. He is the past world champion, he won't be a future world champion so time to give the place and chance to someone else... after all, that's what he did to great plaudits for the SWC.

But he clearly was not going to be WC this season, and age doesn't bring quicker gating reactions, and great fitness levels as a general rule. He is the past world champion, he won't be a future world champion so time to give the place and chance to someone else... after all, that's what he did to great plaudits for the SWC.

Was he?

He was still in the top 8 and a decent performance at Cardiff, a track he has excelled on throughout his career, would have seen him as high as 4th going in to this meeting tonight.

I'm far from a Hancock fan, but I don't let that bias make me talk utter drivel.

• Like 1

Was he?

He was still in the top 8 and a decent performance at Cardiff, a track he has excelled on throughout his career, would have seen him as high as 4th going in to this meeting tonight.

I'm far from a Hancock fan, but I don't let that bias make me talk utter drivel.

He was not going to be WC this season... you might call that claim utter drivel, I call that claim 'fact', he was NOT going to be WC. But I will bow to your judgement on talking utter drivel, you know more about that than me.

He was not going to be WC this season... you might call that claim utter drivel, I call that claim 'fact', he was NOT going to be WC. But I will bow to your judgement on talking utter drivel, you know more about that than me.

DOESN'T mean he won't be World Champion next year.

I can call it drivel because it can't be proven and most certainly cannot be claimed as 'fact'.

As said, a decent performance at Cardiff he would have been 4th.

He is SECOND in the Polish League averages.

Now, if you can name me ONE rider who is better and more deserving than Hancock of a wildcard (should Hancock want one) then maybe you have a case.

• Like 1

Now, if you can name me ONE rider who is better and more deserving than Hancock of a wildcard (should Hancock want one) then maybe you have a case.

The point is, if he can announce he is pulling out of the last two SWC because he wants to give the younger riders a chance (being the kind generous non-selfish man he is), then why can the same not be applied to the SGP by the race organisers? In the SGP he was only just in the top 8 by 2 points. He scored 7 in his last full GP before injury. Yes he may have climbed, but you can't assure me either that form would not have continued and he may well of dropped out of the top 8.

Reading between the lines it looks like he will get the pick anyway. That doesn't meant it can't be challenged.

Last night's GP was fantastic, Hancock was not missed.... so time to move on. He will rightly go down in the history books for being the rider with the most appearances and world titles, but a championship is meant to be ruthless and it can't be run on emotion and history books, it's time to allow someone else to make history, time to move on.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

The point is, if he can announce he is pulling out of the last two SWC because he wants to give the younger riders a chance (being the kind generous non-selfish man he is), then why can the same not be applied to the SGP by the race organisers? In the SGP he was only just in the top 8 by 2 points. He scored 7 in his last full GP before injury. Yes he may have climbed, but you can't assure me either that form would not have continued and he may well of dropped out of the top 8.

Reading between the lines it looks like he will get the pick anyway. That doesn't meant it can't be challenged.

Last night's GP was fantastic, Hancock was not missed.... so time to move on. He will rightly go down in the history books for being the rider with the most appearances and world titles, but a championship is meant to be ruthless and it can't be run on emotion and history books, it's time to allow someone else to make history, time to move on.

Time to move on, how many times you said that ?

The Return, both Tony Rickardsson (5) and Ivan Mauger (6) have more titles then Greg though.

Edited by Ghostwalker

The Return, both Tony Rickardsson (5) and Ivan Mauger (6) have more titles then Greg though.

TONY won't be happy with you nicking one off him