British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Diamonds Vs Edinburgh Monarchs Sgbc 30th July 2017 6.30pm

My argument exactly!!! unfortunately certain people on here talk out of their arses most of the time like I said previously on other threads they weren't whingeing when we were winning the league and KOC, yes we're having a bad season, and I'm sure they'll look at how the team is built abit differently next season.

I think you have just been very unlucky.

Going with two 2 pointers was a bit of a gamble but had Phillips not been injured it may well have been a very different season.

Ad 3-4 points to each of the match scores and it doesnt look far from being a team challenging for the play offs to me.

• Like 1

The promotion took a chance on having two big hitters in the side in the hope that other riders would step up to the mark which hasn't happened, IF we had not gone with the top two we have morris could maybe have been at 6 which imo would have made a big difference to the season overall, but hindsight is a great thing and where as the season has been disappointing I've still enjoyed it.

• Like 1

is the on going work at the stadium any closer to being complete? as this will be my forth missed fixture and with no match next weekend either!

Btw, looks like the access is now clear and open.

• Like 1

The promotion took a chance on having two big hitters in the side in the hope that other riders would step up to the mark which hasn't happened, IF we had not gone with the top two we have morris could maybe have been at 6 which imo would have made a big difference to the season overall, but hindsight is a great thing and where as the season has been disappointing I've still enjoyed it.

unfortunately with the rules about like for like changes and only a 40 point limit being retained for the whole season it was almost impossible to make a drastic restructure from the original template
  • Like 2

unfortunately with the rules about like for like changes and only a 40 point limit being retained for the whole season it was almost impossible to make a drastic restructure from the original template

Could you tell other ppl on here that please Edited by andys

Why do people feel the need to critise George, he along with other people who have put money into the club should applauded for keeping it going since 1997, The rules of the sport make it difficult for a team manager to influence the result of a match so there is little he can do when things go wrong.

With regard to the team there was very few people complaining when the side was put together during the winter and having both Robert and Steve at the top end made it weak at the bottom, at least the promotion have tried to do something about the bottom end the problem being that most of the 2 pointers coming out of the national league are not good enough yet for the championship. In my opinion what has really hampered Newcastle this season was the reduction in the points limit during the winter.

• Like 1

earlier you had said that George was useless, and am sure av heard that he would like to step-down sometime. Surely there must be lots of folk that would be able to step in.

as for Ludvig, if he is a 7pt man, thats what he is,,, am sure there's plenty around.

as for being pretty unique, there seems to be a rule book that changes like the wind and, whats in it seems ambigious at best.

the rules make the sport complicated, but speedway does seem to make easy things hard ;)

ruffdiamond I did say that & I stand by it you are correct, however it is alright George saying he "would like to step down" and actually doing so it all appears to be hot air and nothing more.

Speedway is dying on its arse we all know this as supporters of any club, however Newcastle don't help themselves at times either. So there for I stand by my comments and opinions and respect yours and others likewise!

Would there be speedway at Newcastle without George? Difficult to envisage speedway surviving for long at Newcastle without the continued devotion of the English family. I stand to be shot down in flames from those who know better!

I don't entirely by that rule of thought & don't think you could ever guarantee one way or another yes it maybe a factor or a risk if you prefer, but with all clubs up and down the country having changed owners etc never say never again if you ask me!

Btw, looks like the access is now clear and open.

Thanks ruffdiamond Can anyone confirm this please?

Why do people feel the need to critise George, he along with other people who have put money into the club should applauded for keeping it going since 1997, The rules of the sport make it difficult for a team manager to influence the result of a match so there is little he can do when things go wrong.

With regard to the team there was very few people complaining when the side was put together during the winter and having both Robert and Steve at the top end made it weak at the bottom, at least the promotion have tried to do something about the bottom end the problem being that most of the 2 pointers coming out of the national league are not good enough yet for the championship. In my opinion what has really hampered Newcastle this season was the reduction in the points limit during the winter.

diamonds54 Why not critise George or anybody else for that matter I also agree on your comment about him putting money in to the club but so does every supporter of speedway, so what you are saying is put your money in and shut up? to which I for one would never do that.

Thanks ruffdiamond Can anyone confirm this please?

well I went thru the gate 3 times and used the downstairs/outside toilets, but it wasn't me who had a pooh and didn't flush ;)

• Like 1

My argument exactly!!! unfortunately certain people on here talk out of their arses most of the time like I said previously on other threads they weren't whingeing when we were winning the league and KOC, yes we're having a bad season, and I'm sure they'll look at how the team is built abit differently next season.

Totally agree. There weren't many complaints when the team was announced. Danny's unfortunate injury came at the wrong time for us. He wa on a 2.00 greensheet but was actually averaging nearer 4.00. People seem to think it's easy to swop a regular 7.00 point rider for a 7.00 point rider who's going to average 9.00. Averages don't tell lies. It was said, for example, we should have made changes and signed Aarnio on 5.28. Well his average has dropped to about 4.8. so it is never that easy. Yes teams do drop under performing sportsmen usually replaced by others in the SQUAD. Berwick have under achieved this season and made SIX changes (not all enforced) and they are still getting tonked home and away.

Nobody, other than the promotion, knows what, if any, attempts have been made to strengthen the side this season. It's easy to say we should sign Joe Bloggs or whoever, but if Joe Bloggs won't come or wants megabucks which would bankrupt the club then it's better to take the pain this season and STILL have a club to support NEXT year. Not everybody has the financial clout of Glasgow's backers.

• Like 1

Today's updates will be provided by Rach. Thanks to Midnight Lady for organising this today. - http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/17052/newcastle-edinburgh-championship-2017-30pm

Can we find out if a fixture could be ran next Monday potentially to reduce the backlog of fixtures that need to be completed. I have posted a potential solution on the Newcastle 2017 thread.

Totally agree. There weren't many complaints when the team was announced. Danny's unfortunate injury came at the wrong time for us. He wa on a 2.00 greensheet but was actually averaging nearer 4.00. People seem to think it's easy to swop a regular 7.00 point rider for a 7.00 point rider who's going to average 9.00. Averages don't tell lies. It was said, for example, we should have made changes and signed Aarnio on 5.28. Well his average has dropped to about 4.8. so it is never that easy. Yes teams do drop under performing sportsmen usually replaced by others in the SQUAD. Berwick have under achieved this season and made SIX changes (not all enforced) and they are still getting tonked home and away.

Nobody, other than the promotion, knows what, if any, attempts have been made to strengthen the side this season. It's easy to say we should sign Joe Bloggs or whoever, but if Joe Bloggs won't come or wants megabucks which would bankrupt the club then it's better to take the pain this season and STILL have a club to support NEXT year. Not everybody has the financial clout of Glasgow's backers.

Ok George cheers 😜

What is the weather doing in Newcastle? It's p*ssing it down where I am, the streets are flooding!!

Also, if anyone thinks "getting rid of George" is a good idea, they need their heads banging together, he's been one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason Newcastle speedway still exists... Sure, our team this year may have struggled, or we might have had an unlucky season... But how many times has George pulled a good move out of the hat down the years? I mean, he did sign Robert Lambert and Steve Worrall this year... That's no small move, and even Lewis Rose is a good move, he and the promotion have tried their best to revive the season, well done to them... Although I do think 2017 is beyond us now (besides the KOC, Against Glasgow.....) And we should look forward to seeing what happens over the next 6 months or so...

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 3

Totally agree. There weren't many complaints when the team was announced.

I personally wasn't a MASSIVE fan of the team, I prefer more strength in depth, however I was excited to see out top 5 perform, although they weren't quite as strong as I hoped they would be

Anyway, back to tonight (if it's even on), I predict 47-43 Edinburgh win... With Steve and Robert knackered after yesterday, I'm just looking forward to watching Robson :t:

Edited by Dandelion

So when you say get rid of george do you mean altogether from the club

Mike7164 the fact you liked this post I put on here says everything I and others need to know about you, it's because of george english and family and alan hedley that we have speedway on tyneside end of story.

• Like 1