British Speedway Forum
iainb

Why Not Work With The Poles?

It would if said Tracks are in rented Stadia. They may only have the option of one night only.

If it wasn't, then your solution is going to close down a Track.

Do I take it that certain Tracks are expendable then?

Because I think that that situation would be highly probable.

Which club races on the only available night at their current stadium?

Which club races on the only available night at their current stadium?

No idea - but are you saying I am wrong?

No idea - but are you saying I am wrong?

Yes. I don't believe that having two fixed race nights per league is an insurmountable challenge. You have to set this against the backdrop of what stadium owners are facing - namely a general decline across the board. Are the stadium owners really so inflexible and stubborn that they wouldn't facilitate speedway moving?

As others have said, stadium availability seems to be flexible enough to allow teams to ride on a Monday when TV cameras are in town. Why then could this flexibility not be applied to a permanent change of race nights for the handful of teams effected?

Yes. I don't believe that having two fixed race nights per league is an insurmountable challenge. You have to set this against the backdrop of what stadium owners are facing - namely a general decline across the board. Are the stadium owners really so inflexible and stubborn that they wouldn't facilitate speedway moving?

As others have said, stadium availability seems to be flexible enough to allow teams to ride on a Monday when TV cameras are in town. Why then could this flexibility not be applied to a permanent change of race nights for the handful of teams effected?

There are some clubs (Rye House and Leicester for starters) who claim that they can lose money or make less when they have to change from their regular race night. There is no compromise from other countries so why should clubs here be forced to change, many of whom are on tight budgets as it is?

• Like 1

There are some clubs (Rye House and Leicester for starters) who claim that they can lose money or make less when they have to change from their regular race night. There is no compromise from other countries so why should clubs here be forced to change, many of whom are on tight budgets as it is?

Other countries have fixed race nights, therefore it is easier for us to work around them, rather than the other way around.

As for losing money, I find it hard to believe that Rye House/Leicester running on a night when half the riders are missing due to GPs, SEC, doubling-up and other assorted reasons doesn't cost them more than moving to a regular race night of Wednesday/Thursday.

It makes the polish league very marketable in the uk if a team was linked to a uk team. And vice versa.

Maybe you would get a situation where a profitable polish club promotes a uk club in need of a promoter. Example being Birmingham. Cuts a deal with its own riders to pretty much ride for both teams where within the rules. They could train riders on both tracks. Also sell their own league to the uk fans. Merch etc

I think it's unlikely but would be very interesting

• Like 1

Other countries have fixed race nights, therefore it is easier for us to work around them, rather than the other way around.

As for losing money, I find it hard to believe that Rye House/Leicester running on a night when half the riders are missing due to GPs, SEC, doubling-up and other assorted reasons doesn't cost them more than moving to a regular race night of Wednesday/Thursday.

Alright then they are both liars!

It makes the polish league very marketable in the uk if a team was linked to a uk team. And vice versa.

Maybe you would get a situation where a profitable polish club promotes a uk club in need of a promoter. Example being Birmingham. Cuts a deal with its own riders to pretty much ride for both teams where within the rules. They could train riders on both tracks. Also sell their own league to the uk fans. Merch etc

I think it's unlikely but would be very interesting

They don't need it, soon theirs will be the only professional league anyway, they are sewing it all up bit by bit, they already make riders miss meetings elsewhere to attend practice sessions at their Polish club, they already hold a quarter of the GPs and have a quarter of the riders, meanwhile Sweden is considering major pruning of their own leagues.

Alright then they are both liars!

I don't think they are lying, but i think there is a strong case of "head in the sand" and "we've always done it this way and we're not changing" which plagues British speedway.

I don't think they are lying, but i think there is a strong case of "head in the sand" and "we've always done it this way and we're not changing" which plagues British speedway.

If you are the Tenant of the Stadium, to a certain extent you are at the mercy of the Landlord.

If Speedway picks two days a week that will suit some Tracks they may find that those two days are impossible for other Tracks and vice versa. What I am saying is that the two night Plan may be very good in theory - but in practice it could, I repeat could, force certain Tracks out of business.

Is that what you want? You have to admit that it is possible.

So if Sweden and Poland compromise by running on Tuesdayand Sunday respectively you'd be ok with pl clubs compromising u running only two nights?

If you ran Monday and Wednesday that would be a change only for Poole Somerset and Leicester. All those sides have been able to ride at home on Monday for televised fixtures. If Leicester or Somerset were to say it wasn't financially viable Surely two other clubs could step up for whom those nights are not an issue.

If you are the Tenant of the Stadium, to a certain extent you are at the mercy of the Landlord.

If Speedway picks two days a week that will suit some Tracks they may find that those two days are impossible for other Tracks and vice versa. What I am saying is that the two night Plan may be very good in theory - but in practice it could, I repeat could, force certain Tracks out of business.

Is that what you want? You have to admit that it is possible.

And not changing race nights could put clubs out of business.

Personally I would make PL two nights and give the CL the other 5. So clubs would all have the option to run.

I'd also say landlords in some cases will need the revenue from speedway as much as speedway needs the stadium.

Edited by waihekeaces1
  • Like 1

So if Sweden and Poland compromise by running on Tuesdayand Sunday respectively you'd be ok with pl clubs compromising u running only two nights?

If you ran Monday and Wednesday that would be a change only for Poole Somerset and Leicester. All those sides have been able to ride at home on Monday for televised fixtures. If Leicester or Somerset were to say it wasn't financially viable Surely two other clubs could step up for whom those nights are not an issue.

Personally I would make PL two nights and give the CL the other 5. So clubs would all have the option to run.

I'd also say landlords in some cases will need the revenue from speedway as much as speedway needs the stadium.

Possibly so - but that would be a gamble.

I can't comment on Rye House but there was a good crowd at Leicester last Saturday in spite of multiple riders being missing and the poor team Kings Lynn put out. (Two guests and rider replacement for Lions and four guests/rider replacement for Stars.) If that had been held on a Wednesday or Thursday I think the attendance would have been halved.

So you would throw teams out of the league and promote others who have shown no desire to be promoted previously? I would rather say 'clubs should ride on whatever day they feel will be the most attractive for their fans (including Tuesday nights and Sunday afternoons) and any riders who can't/wont commit to that shouldn't be considered because they are obviously not in need of the work'.

• Like 1

I would rather say 'clubs should ride on whatever day they feel will be the most attractive for their fans (including Tuesday nights and Sunday afternoons) and any riders who can't/wont commit to that shouldn't be considered because they are obviously not in need of the work'.

We already have Sweden on a Tuesday, Denmark on a Wednesday, GPs (and qualifiers), SEC, Pairs and other assorted meetings on a Saturday and Poland on a Sunday, with as BV52 says increasing number of Polish fixtures on a Friday.

Unless Britain puts a stake in the ground and says "these are our nights" we will simply have to accept British speedway getting squeezed from all sides.