British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Jack Holder And The (lack Of A) 9 Month Ban

Might it have something to do with the ridiculous schedule for BV and the Colts during September.

Seems crazy packing so many meetings in the month. For instance Mon 21st @BV, Tuesday 22nd @ IOW, Wednesday 23rd @ Birmingham

The whole month is busy. Cant see how bikes or bodies can cope with it effectively.

If that true then Belle Vue Colts should suffer the same fate as Peterborough, once again we have a club riding rough shod over the rules and short changing the public. IMO the BSPA must act.

They certainly aren't riding, its only the reason I am uncertain of.

Might it have something to do with the ridiculous schedule for BV and the Colts during September.

Seems crazy packing so many meetings in the month. For instance Mon 21st @BV, Tuesday 22nd @ IOW, Wednesday 23rd @ Birmingham

The whole month is busy. Cant see how bikes or bodies can cope with it effectively.

I really don't see what that has to do with it. If you are unable to ride in all the fixtures, you shouldn't have committed to 3 leagues in the first place.

In addition, why should Isle of Wight lose out - they could just as easily miss a home meeting. Finally, how on earth have guest facilities been allowed ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

This is one of the reasons I said at the start of the season why riders should NOT ride in 3 leagues(we had josh Bailey). These lads are young, still growing & are not used to all the travel. Also, the bikes will take a hammering but if, like Bewley, if you are doing well then the wages will offset the upkeep but if you have been struggling like Smith it would be harder for the upkeep of the bikes even with having an ex rider as a father.

Guests should not be allowed but the reason they have done this, probably, is as this is the lowest league, NL riders will be used. It should be the juniors in MDL or SDL leagues(if the leagues are correct :oops: )

Edited by IronScorpion

This is one of the reasons I said at the start of the season why riders should NOT ride in 3 leagues(we had josh Bailey). These lads are young, still growing & are not used to all the travel. Also, the bikes will take a hammering but if, like Bewley, if you are doing well then the wages will offset the upkeep but if you have been struggling like Smith it would be harder for the upkeep of the bikes even with having an ex rider as a father.

Their schedule for the second half of August is crazy, and I think that someone at Belle Vue should have thought it through beforehand, rather than punishing IOW for what would probably be one of their biggest meetings of the season.

16/8 Rye House, 17/8 Glasgow, 18 Belle Vue, 19 Leicester, 20 Newcastle, 21 Belle Vue, 22 IOW, 23 Birmingham, 24 day off, 25 Belle Vue, 26 Glasgow, 27 day off, 28 Poole at 11.00, then 2 meetings at Wolverhampton, 29 day off, 30 Belle Vue, 31 Sheffield.

• Like 2

Guests should not be allowed but the reason they have done this, probably, is as this is the lowest league, NL riders will be used. It should be the juniors in MDL or SDL leagues(if the leagues are correct :oops: )

You're right that this meeting has been picked because it does least damage to Belle Vue.

But what about Isle of Wight ? The appearance of Bewley and Smith was a major selling point for Tuesday but now they aren't going to be there for no reason other than it suits Belle Vue for them not to be.

Lets hope Payne and Shuttleworth are, otherwise its 3 guests and rider replacement.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

I am told (although this has to be verified) that Dan Bewley and Jack Smith have been given permission to miss the Colts meeting on the Isle of Wight on Tuesday by Belle Vue.

Can someone tell me the difference between that and what Peterborough have done because I can't see one.

Presumably whatever punishment Peterborough and Holder get (if any) will be applied to Belle Vue as well.

This is just not on. Isle of Wight work extremely hard to ensure promotion of speedway on the Island and are then treated with contempt by another club.

Riders can miss NL meetings for any reason. It's a development league.

Wether you think that's right or not is open to debate, but the rules allow it.

You're right that this meeting has been picked because it does least damage to Belle Vue.

But what about Isle of Wight ? The appearance of Bewley and Smith was a major selling point for Tuesday but now they aren't going to be there for no reason other than it suits Belle Vue for them not to be.

Lets hope Payne and Shuttleworth are, otherwise its 3 guests and rider replacement.

Payne? Who is he LOL, never been seen for 3 months? Meant to be Berwick's number 7, shuttleworth walked out of Worky's number 7 spot as well

Riders can miss NL meetings for any reason. It's a development league.

Wether you think that's right or not is open to debate, but the rules allow it.

I think there us a recognition that in the NL rider circumstances are different due to the levels of pay and age. As the rule says - work, education, holiday are accepted as reasons for absence.

Simply withdrawing a rider for no reason whatsoever, however, is just wrong and I would say breaks both the intention and the spirit of that rule and indeed possibly the letter of it.

What's worse is that Isle of Wight suffer the consequences of it here, not Belle Vue when it is the latter who are culpable.

What if Isle of Wight had promoted this match on the basis that Bewley and Smith would be there - and in a limited way they did - only to find that they had cheated their customers through no fault of their own but through the selfish actions of another promotion ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Perhaps the riders are taking a holiday.

Its another thing wrong with British speedway, but it is far removed from the Jack Holder/Peterborough where JH is riding in Poland (not even Britain) furthering his career.

• Like 1

Its another thing wrong with British speedway, but it is far removed from the Jack Holder/Peterborough where JH is riding

Its another thing wrong with British speedway, but it is far removed from the Jack Holder/Peterborough where JH is riding in Poland (not even Britain) furthering his career.

If they are its a very short one unless they aren't riding on Wednesday.

You can see the reasoning behind the rule (and its a good one) but, typically, there are always those who abuse it and do it in a selfish, arrogant way that has their sole interests at heary and cares nothing for the impact on other clubs and their business.

The fact that it is by far and away the best promoted club in the country who are on the receiving end - one who has pulled out all the stops in attempts to ensure that they survive and prosper - simply makes it all the harder to stomach.

Dan has, to his huge credit, contacted IOW and said that he is not riding due to commitments at the weekend in Latvia.

shuttleworth should be serving a ban from witholding services from workington

shuttleworth should be serving a ban from witholding services from workington

He got a 12-day ban

Edited by Steve Park

I think there us a recognition that in the NL rider circumstances are different due to the levels of pay and age. As the rule says - work, education, holiday are accepted as reasons for absence.

Simply withdrawing a rider for no reason whatsoever, however, is just wrong and I would say breaks both the intention and the spirit of that rule and indeed possibly the letter of it.

What's worse is that Isle of Wight suffer the consequences of it here, not Belle Vue when it is the latter who are culpable.

What if Isle of Wight had promoted this match on the basis that Bewley and Smith would be there - and in a limited way they did - only to find that they had cheated their customers through no fault of their own but through the selfish actions of another promotion ?

I font see how you can say it might break the letter of the law.

The law states a rider can miss a meeting for any reason. That's pretty clear and surprisingly unambiguous.

I'd say it's also within the spirit of the law, which is that this is a development league and other activities take priority so I'm not sure how you can compare this to the holder situation, where quite clearly the rules were broken.

I agree it's not particularly fair on IoW and could understand them being annoyed.

• Like 2

but also you could argue if its a develpoment league then no riders riding in the top league should be classed as eligable to ride in a development league

and vice versa any riders riding in the development league should not be classed as experienced enough for the top league

• Like 6