British Speedway Forum
Norfolk Bear

They Say Never Go Back.

I seem to be in the minority but I don’t mind the newer TS rule.

I found the older rule equally unfair and while there is a misty eyed idea of juniors turning over heat leaders, it rarely happened – what more often happened was a visiting Number 1 would blast away and typically win Heat 8 by a mile in a race massively stacked in their favour and displacing another rider from the race in the process.

My natural assumption is riders on a Double Points sub have been turned over far more often than Tactical substitutes were.

I also feel there is something more satisfying in seeing a side kill the rule of double points when it is used.

Make that two of us then because I don't mind it either and actually prefer it to the TS now it can only be used once. It also makes things more interesting wondering when or if a team mate is going to let his 'other half' through so he gets the double points. Seems someone hadn't told KK this week. :D

I thought that getting off the bike was banned a couple of season's ago, but, more than likely the 'Powers that be" hadn't got the guts to see it through.

I think riders can get completely off the bike as long as they are hanging onto the handlebars. :unsure:

Make that two of us then because I don't mind it either and actually prefer it to the TS now it can only be used once. It also makes things more interesting wondering when or if a team mate is going to let his 'other half' through so he gets the double points. Seems someone hadn't told KK this week. :D

I think riders can get completely off the bike as long as they are hanging onto the handlebars. :unsure:

Interesting viewpoints and goes to show that people have different opinions about the T/S ruling (old and new)

As Bwitcher says , probably 99% prefer the TS to the double points ride. I certainly do.

The only issue is if people start trying to say the old rule was "fairer" when blatantly in most circumstances it was far more advantageous to the trailing team than the new rule

That said I recall someone doing the stats, and the old rule didn't change the meeting outcome significantly more than the new rule (as measured by team using it picking up a draw or win).

I generally refrain from using assumptions whatever the subject personally. Seen evidence of that regarding other matters on this forum.

Having a background in statistics personally it's generally the case that a goodly sample is taken before arriving at any given figure rather than plucking figures out of the air based on assumptions and/or opinions.

It appears to be the case regarding the matter under discussion, in this instance, which on the face of it appears to side with the old T/S ruling but a broader picture would be advantageous before drawing a defining conclusion. I guess that older fans would be drawn more to the old ruling but it would be interesting to get a view from present day fans who have no experience of what the ruling once was but based on the present ruling (of which I have no working knowledge)?

Hence a vote from a cross section of fans of all ages would prove interesting as I commented elsewhere.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I generally refrain from using assumptions whatever the subject personally. Seen evidence of that regarding other matters on this forum.

Having a background in statistics personally it's generally the case that a goodly sample is taken before arriving at any given figure rather than plucking figures out of the air based on assumptions and/or opinions.

It appears to be the case regarding the matter under discussion, in this instance, which on the face of it appears to side with the old T/S ruling but a broader picture would be advantageous before drawing a defining conclusion. I guess that older fans would be drawn more to the old ruling but it would be interesting to get a view from present day fans who have no experience of what the ruling once was but based on the present ruling (of which I have no working knowledge)?

Hence a vote from a cross section of fans of all ages would prove interesting as I commented elsewhere.

What we need is a Poll asking which do you prefer.

i) Old Tactical Substitute.

ii) New Tactical Ride (Double Points).

iii) No Tacticals at all. Results to be decided on Points scored on the Track only - no enhancements.

What do you reckon steve?

• Like 1

What we need is a Poll asking which do you prefer.

i) Old Tactical Substitute.

ii) New Tactical Ride (Double Points).

iii) No Tacticals at all. Results to be decided on Points scored on the Track only - no enhancements.

What do you reckon steve?

Sounds reasonable to me dear boy!

Views have been expressed many times on the subject but not by a large enough sample to arrive at any one conclusion.

To re-iterate my preferred choice would be i) but I am of the old school as it was a system that I grew up with and accepted as part and parcel of the sport hence why an input from modern day participants would make for an interesting comparison.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1