British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Swindon Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/17

Seems an odd decision. Swindon fans will turn up regardless for this one. Won't entice those that have decided to watch on TV. If the average attendance is 2000 paying the normal amount of £17, means the gate would be 34,000. A extra 1400 fans need to turn up to break even. Doesn't seem great business sense to me.

Is it not all about getting the 'occasional' attendee in the area to give it a go ?

• Like 1

TBH from a business perspective Flange is right on this occasion, revenues would surely have been maximised by reversing the pricing. BUT it's a nice touch and should ensure a massive crowd and great atmosphere and hopefully lead to a bumper crowd for the final at say $20

Of course it could also be that Poole are an unattractive opposition so the meeting needs discounting, whereas the mighty Aces are much more of a draw card and hence justify full price admission

Can't hear you, take your head out from were its shouldn't be..

As only around 20 % of homes have BT Sport don't think the attendance will be greatly affected.

Over 3000 turned out for the televised five quid meeting, poor weather, and nearly 3000 for the 25 quid double header on the sunny Bank Holiday Monday that wasn't televised.

Should be somewhere around this figure for the play-off semi if the weather is ok.

Fair play to Swindon.

Edited by beefy keefy
  • Like 2

As only around 20 % of homes have BT Sport don't think the attendance will be greatly affected.

Over 3000 turned out for the televised five quid meeting, poor weather, and nearly 3000 for the 25 quid double header on the sunny Bank Holiday Monday that wasn't televised.

Should be somewhere around this figure for the play-off semi if the weather is ok.

Fair play to Swindon.

A packed stadium in front of the cameras is ideal for encouraging sponsors. A decent sponsor can bring in more than several packed stadiums.

• Like 1

Fair play to Swindon.

Maybe only 20 per cent of homes have BT sport but how many have access to a dodgy streaming service, I saw on a football forum recently that 25 per cent of all live football is streamed illegally.

Concessions - £5, Under 11's free. Why are people moaning about this, If the club can afford it which clearly they can otherwise they wouldn't offer it, what's the issue.

I'm with foreverblue on this one and the discount won't make much difference to the crowd.

£7 off adults, what's the deal for concessions? If it's the same that's a £21,000 'gesture'.

Wow! Swindon giving away nearly as much as the total gate receipts at a normal meeting at wolves.

#loadsamoney

Shut your mouth and look at my wad! Err, don't you mean look at my new stadium?

Seems an odd decision. Swindon fans will turn up regardless for this one. Won't entice those that have decided to watch on TV. If the average attendance is 2000 paying the normal amount of £17, means the gate would be 34,000. A extra 1400 fans need to turn up to break even. Doesn't seem great business sense to me.

Maybe a sponsor has offer to pay more if their are more fans in the stadium. OK they might lose say 10 or 15% from the gate but if a sponsor is offering you enough that it will cover it and then some.

Sponsor always seems to be forgotten, what is a sponsor more likely to want to sponsor? 1000 people all spread out and bored. Or 4000 people squashed in, making noise and having a good time?

Concessions - £5, Under 11's free. Why are people moaning about this, If the club can afford it which clearly they can otherwise they wouldn't offer it, what's the issue.

Just some small minded people anyway it is up to the management.

Edited by A ORLOV

Swindon have quite a few sponsors this season (For example 10 paid a min 5k at the start of the season to try & be the main sponsor - £50K in the back pocket before a wheel was turned) due to Lee Kilby's hard work. They have since gained more throughout the town. The club has improve it's commercial activities massively.

Maybe a sponsor has offer to pay more if their are more fans in the stadium. OK they might lose say 10 or 15% from the gate but if a sponsor is offering you enough that it will cover it and then some.

Sponsor always seems to be forgotten, what is a sponsor more likely to want to sponsor? 1000 people all spread out and bored. Or 4000 people squashed in, making noise and having a good time?

• Like 1

Really, how many league titles have you won in the last 16 odd years, let me tell you, none.

😂😂😂. Caught a little one...
  • Like 7

Swindon have quite a few sponsors this season (For example 10 paid a min 5k at the start of the season to try & be the main sponsor - £50K in the back pocket before a wheel was turned) due to Lee Kilby's hard work. They have since gained more throughout the town. The club has improve it's commercial activities massively.

Lee has done a great job as Commercial Manager. Mike of M&S Truck and Van Rentals, and Dom of Pebley Beach, and many others, put a lot of money into the club, and saved them from going under in 2013.

• Like 1

Well lets be honest here you could count the Swindon fans at Poole on your fingers and toes. Pitiful Swindon support and pretty disgraceful that hardly any made the effort to support their team. I am sure there will be a lot more Poole fans coming up for the second leg to support the Pirates even though the result is a forgone conclusion.

As for the crowd at Poole, it was very decent. Not small at all as some on here are trying to say. And when you consider off race night, on tv and weather had been iffy earlier in the day, pretty good considering.

Monday was my first meeting in three years. If the crowd can be considered decent, the game is in even bigger bother than I thought!

Walked straight in at after 7 and great swathes of empty space.

Just spoke to rosco he's hoping to used Newman again if we race Wolves away in the final .

Monday was my first meeting in three years. If the crowd can be considered decent, the game is in even bigger bother than I thought!

Walked straight in at after 7 and great swathes of empty space.

thats the way it is these days