British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

My point was that football will never use play offs to decide champions.Whoever wins the league is rightly called the champions.Promotion and relegation play offs are a different thing entirely.

Champions League?

If the answer is 'tv' then why are leagues that aren't televised also operating a play off system?

But why does TV want play-offs? Because it gets viewers. So the viewers must like them. And who are the viewer? The fans. Odd that.

Champions League?

Which should have been re-branded to European League Winners as it contains teams who finish 2nd,3rd or 4th in their respective leagues just to appease TV & Sponsors

Which should have been re-branded to European League Winners as it contains teams who finish 2nd,3rd or 4th in their respective leagues just to appease TV & Sponsors

Yeah, because the fans hate it don't they.

All those empty stadiums for the teams who finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

The absolute despair when your team clinches a Champions League place.

Damn those tv and sponsor people!

• Like 1

What's Champions League got to do with it ? We all know that's a knock out style competition after the group stages.I was talking about play offs to decide champions after all league matches

What's Champions League got to do with it ? We all know that's a knock out style competition after the group stages.I was talking about play offs to decide champions after all league matches

Yes, many countries have them, you're wrong.

• Like 1

Speedway at it's absolute best.

Superb atmosphere, riders giving their absolute all.

I didn't know riders were not giving their all in other matches , what you describe should be standard in all matches , you shouldn't have to pay extra for basically you making the event atmosphere bettter
  • Like 2

The only way to make it work and have the two separate 'champions' if you will is as mentioned earlier in the thread and turn it into an 'event'. A weekend of speedway at the NSS etc.

However.. there is one big problem with that of course and that is the weather which may decide not to play ball!

You could move the British GP back. Then have the play off final at Cardiff on Friday night followed by the GP on Saturday.

That's what I call an event

Seems from rumours that speedway on TV is no longer the cash cow it was (if ever ) and the play-offs were brought in to suit TV, do we still need them.

Would it not be better to have a league with champions and an end of season cup competition so that clubs season doesn't end in August?

BT could always show the cup comp if they wanted to go into October.

Disclaimer....I've always been against play-offs

No because that would be boring. The play offs is speedways money shot. It's what it all leads up to.

I didn't know riders were not giving their all in other matches , what you describe should be standard in all matches , you shouldn't have to pay extra for basically you making the event atmosphere bettter

Don't go then, it's really that simple.

Don't go then, it's really that simple.

im not going , not just because of things like the price rise , just lost interest in British speedway and that is where we are , if the sport can't get someone like me to go it's doing something wrong and needs to change it thinking , I'm not lost to the sport just the British version
  • Like 2

im not going , not just because of things like the price rise , just lost interest in British speedway and that is where we are , if the sport can't get someone like me to go it's doing something wrong and needs to change it thinking , I'm not lost to the sport just the British version

So the price is irrelevant then.

not interested in any other sports but when money is tight and the sport is struggling to attract fans it shouldn't be making the public pay extra , you get nothing extra for your money , the riders don't get anything extra , the costs are the same so why should the fans be charged extra ?

yet again tell me the difference from any other sport ? You get plenty extra in terms that you see a grand final with every rider trying a 100 % and with a chance of your team become league champions..every club is losing money and you want to stop them giving them a chance of getting some of it back . Edited by orion
  • Like 1

If they charge more for the Play-Offs, then what about some of the weakened line-ups and the early cancellations they offer from March-August? Surely they should drop some of the prices.

yet again tell me the difference from any other sport ? You get plenty extra in terms that you see a grand final with every rider trying a 100 % and with a chance of your team become league champions..every club is losing money and you want to stop them giving them a chance of getting some of it back .

I guess your not reading my other posts of why I feel I no longer have a team to follow