British Speedway Forum

Why is it a farce? Home advantage is so strong in speedway that an away result of any kind should be worth more.

i dont agree with you a draw is a draw in any sport its a good job we see it different though

Joke rules in speedway...should never be rewarded for failure. But I suppose whilst whilst fans think joke rules are okay then it's always gonna be a joke.

• Like 1

In don't see it as rewarding failure.....you are gaining a point and denying the home team one (in the original system) by putting up a good away performance in a sport where home advantage can be enormous and it can keep meetings alive where they may otherwise be over long before heat 15. The BSPA have very few good ideas but this was one and IMO worked well before they mucked around with it.

• Like 1

The aggregate score didn’t offer much of anything other than favouring sides who had home advantage. It didn’t really offer much to fans on the night as most in attendance don’t particularly care about meetings they didn’t attend, the current system makes the in the moment meeting better and adds value to that, which is a good thing.

Is it a joke rule etc that wouldn’t work in football or other sports, yeah maybe - but it is a completely different sport with a different set of circumstances and rules, football is more credible than speedway etc and so on but it doesn’t mean I am that bothered for using the offside rule at a speedway meeting, or a scrum – it’s a different sport, it likely will throw up rules other sports don’t use…shock horror.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Joke rules in speedway...should never be rewarded for failure. But I suppose whilst whilst fans think joke rules are okay then it's always gonna be a joke.

Do people think Rugby Union is a joke too?

From Wikipedia:

• 4 points for winning a match
  • 2 points for drawing a match
  • 0 points for losing a match
  • 1 losing bonus point for losing by 7 points (or fewer)
  • 1 try bonus point for scoring 4 tries (or more)

In this system, winning teams get 4 or 5 points; drawing teams 2 or 3 points; and losing teams 0, 1, or 2 points.

Obviously I'm not as old as some...but when speedway was in its heyday and drawing massive crowds and so on..does anybody know the tactical rules and scoring system???

Obviously something was working way better back then than it does now..

Do people think Rugby Union is a joke too?

From Wikipedia:

• 4 points for winning a match
  • 2 points for drawing a match
  • 0 points for losing a match
  • 1 losing bonus point for losing by 7 points (or fewer)
  • 1 try bonus point for scoring 4 tries (or more)
In this system, winning teams get 4 or 5 points; drawing teams 2 or 3 points; and losing teams 0, 1, or 2 points.

Yeah I think it's a joke..but I don't watch rugby, so don't really care about their rules...like someone said...different sports. I just don't think failure should be rewarded...but that's me...Maybe its me and the way I think that's the joke🤔🤔

I don't watch football either so don't really know about their rules either.

Edited by baldyman

I really don’t think the oft used line about the crowds the sport used to attract is the hammer blow, argument ender some appear to think it is when used as a counter to nuances people don’t like . It is now the best part of 40 years since speedway attracted crowds to brag about, crowds were on the slide wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before most of the rules that have apparently driven fans away were introduced.

I highly doubt crowds would return in their 1,000s as some appear to think if the sport removed tactical rules, doubling up etc.

• Like 4

Now that I do agree with...speedway will never be anything more than a tin pot sport..and will one day die in its current form as the oldies do.

Is speedway actually growing in Poland???

Are they getting bigger crowds than say 10 years ago? If so how are they doing it?.

Edited by baldyman

Cricket offers losing bonus points too. Don't think either rugby union or cricket are or ever have been joke sports.

There is plenty wrong with speedway in the UK but the scoring system ain't one of em.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

Now that I do agree with...speedway will never be anything more than a tin pot sport..and will one day die in its current form as the oldies do.

I agree to a certain extent, but it has been that way for the best part of 15/20 years, it is as tin pot as lower league football and other local community sports that as a general rule don’t attract massive attendances.

If the delusion is removed and people stop comparing attendances to 40/50 years ago and compare them to 10/20 years ago…..more likely to see speedway has been in a pretty consistent place in this country for a long time, it isn’t a big sport, little point thinking about it as one.

Speaking about speedway in a way that it is a rule change away from being like the 70's is moon howler behaviour - it is best to make the best small sport it can be, and it seems for the most part fans much prefer the loosing bonus point system

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Agree completely..I was wrong all along...just need to think of it differently..so maybe all speedway needs to keep it going is to somehow reduce its costs to its participants.

To be honest I don't know why I get so bothered about things..cos I hardly go anymore anyway.

Edited by baldyman

Agree completely..I was wrong all along...just need to think of it differently..so maybe all speedway needs to keep it going is to somehow reduce its costs to its participants.

well that would be a start

To be honest I don't know why I get so bothered about things..cos I hardly go anymore anyway.

Me too - I havent been for about 3 weeks now 😜
  • Like 5

There are very few positive ideas that has come from Speedway these past 20 yrs, but the points scoring is one of the best. It encourages teams to put in more effort in thier away matches knowing they could be rewarded with a point, which could be massive at the end of the season when chasing them all important playoff places...

Going to places like Wolves or Lakeside, where home advantage was always more evident, to finish within 6points there is worth a point...

Actually I don't know why it was changed last year, guaranteeing 3pts for a home win, I thought it was better before.

• Like 6

Actually I don't know why it was changed last year, guaranteeing 3pts for a home win, I thought it was better before.

It was changed because Jon Cook claimed when his team didnt win all the point at home fans felt like they had lost. Ironically the next season they lost quite a few at home anyway :D What next, give the home team 3 points just for turning up so you never leave having felt like you have lost?

3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4 was a good system, I'd like to see it go back.