British Speedway Forum

How about keeping it simple

3pts for a win

2pts for a draw

0pts if you loose

No black/white double points

If you want bonus points - add points of both Home and Away meetings and winner gets a bonus point.

How about keeping it simple

3pts for a win

2pts for a draw

0pts if you loose

No black/white double points

If you want bonus points - add points of both Home and Away meetings and winner gets a bonus point.

I think it's just a case of everything being made artificially closer these days to try and keep people's interest.

42 point limit, Monday & Thursday race nights, No double point ride but tac sub allowed when 6 points down, no average conversions, young foreign riders assessed at 5, GP riders who've not appeared in the UK before 8, bonus point bought back over two meetings....

I think it's just a case of everything being made artificially closer these days to try and keep people's interest.

And you most certainly don't want that do you!

Keep fan's interest, improve the excitement/enjoyment factor of meetings etc..

You're right, it's terrible!

• Like 1

And you most certainly don't want that do you!

Keep fan's interest, improve the excitement/enjoyment factor of meetings etc..

You're right, it's terrible!

I'm sorry..but it doesn't do that for me...I just like watching 4 blokes going for it..win or lose I'm not that bothered if the racing is good. They should be trying to make the racing close...not artificially though.

However the scoring is done, I just hope it's stuck to for a long time, as constant rule changes don't seem to be the answer

Edited by baldyman

I'm sorry..but it doesn't do that for me...I just like watching 4 blokes going for it..win or lose I'm not that bothered if the racing is good. They should be trying to make the racing close...not artificially though.

It's no different to tactical substitutes in the "old" days. They, too, were to keep matches artificially close.

As for the idea of 4 blokes going for it - this is a common factor I see from people who think the sport should be just that. For me, personally, if it was just that then I'd lose interest pretty quick. I love things like averages, working out team etc. That's what caught my interest in the beginning and probably plays a large part in what maintains it.

• Like 2

Well said, Grachan. The nuances of speedway are part of its appeal.

Yeah it's appealing alright...you can tell by the massive crowds..column inches in national newspapers and the fact that it's always on mainstream TV. Each to their own and all that.

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 1

Yeah it's appealing alright...you can tell by the massive crowds..column inches in national newspapers and the fact that it's always on mainstream TV

Maybe that's partly because, to a lot of people, it just looks like 4 blokes riding round a track and they don't see beyond that.

Personally I think they should play up the statistical side more and have in depth discussions on it when on the tv.

It needs to appeal to those who just like to see 4 blokes riding round a track, sure, but you are going to get that anyway. But the scoring and averages are a major part of speedway's appeal for me.

I prefer the old ts rule to the tr rule, for example, not because you see more of the top riders but because it used to provoke in depth tactical discussions as to who was best to use and in what race to get the most out of it. Speedway misses that.

• Like 1

I don't know if there is one or anyone is thinking of doing one, but with modern technology and to keep people that enjoy statistics up to date..would a phone app be of any use? Fill in programme on your phone?? Even if it's something for the younger fans??

Edited by baldyman

That may be the case for you but it certainly isn't with the over whelming majority of other fans.

I don't know if there is one or anyone is thinking of doing one, but with modern technology and to keep people that enjoy statistics up to date..would a phone app be of any use? Fill in programme on your phone?? Even if it's something for the younger fans??

There were at least 2 phone apps in existence a couple of years ago.