British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

White City

noticed last month they've started to demolish the last trace of the London White City site - the covered walkways that went alongside the railway track.

I can't picture that miro, where exactly were they situated in relation to the track - was it on the other side of the road next to the car-wash?

regarding the Manchester venue found this

http://manchesterhistory.net/whitecity/home.html:

'The prospectus of the White City Company indicates that it was formed in February of 1907 for, "the purpose of establishing and carrying on a pleasure garden of the highest class to be called the "White City".'

One year before London then or the same company planning both at the same time?

There was another White City in Onchan IoM, I bet there were lots... maybe two words that became associated with a bit of quality fun in those days ?

noticed last month they've started to demolish the last trace of the London White City site - the covered walkways that went alongside the railway track.

pity stadiums and such places arent counted as heritage...

bravenet connection cannot be made

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that is very likely as plans were made in the early 1890's for the whole of Trafford Park to be made into a funfair, sports & pleasure gardens.

So it is very likely the idea and name came from Manchester :approve:

Kevin

Coming off the A40 and going down the dual carriageway towards Shepherds Bush, they were away to your right, big covered bridge-type structures with windows, sat there for 90 years doing nothing.

Thanks miro, I still can't picture them but I'll have a look next time I'm in the area.

Just to emphasise how much the name caught on generally we have a prewar council estate in Gloucester called White City - well the houses are rather light in colour. There is even a White City Community Project. No trace of speedway sadly ;-)

Edited by rmc