British Speedway Forum

Picture ID

Andrew

22 minutes ago, Chadster said:

The fans in the stadium shot appear to be wearing a mix of colours that are dark and light, maybe the blue and yellow of Harringay?

Funny how we imagine colours on a black & white photo, I convinced myself they were claret & blue.:blink:

On 27/03/2018 at 9:24 AM, nw42 said:

I never went there but could the stadium be Custom House?   This could be from the other side of the glass behind the riders in pic 1.

p810423348-3.jpg

Definitely not West ham. The original pits bend never had any glass enclosures. I reckon it is harringay.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Thank you! Amazing what conclusions you can draw from the colours in a black and white photo!

Indeed it is but did you ever visit Harringay, perhaps your subliminal memory was also sending you messages.

I was also just thinking about the journey those Belle Vue riders will have undertaken that day, assuming they were mostly northern based it must have meant a hell of a drive, pre motorways etc, no doubt they would all travel home following the meeting too, that's a long day for the cause.  There is a scarf wearing Aces supporter in the picture too, again that would have been quite a commitment.

As they say, every picture tells a story.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2018 at 8:27 AM, iris123 said:

Not sure who it is,but if you do a google photo search you get a photo of this rider alone.And it mentions flat track.The last photo is of the infamous Jack Parker

with respectJack Parker was just famous, not infamous 

23 hours ago, nw42 said:

Indeed it is but did you ever visit Harringay, perhaps your subliminal memory was also sending you messages.

I was also just thinking about the journey those Belle Vue riders will have undertaken that day, assuming they were mostly northern based it must have meant a hell of a drive, pre motorways etc, no doubt they would all travel home following the meeting too, that's a long day for the cause.  There is a scarf wearing Aces supporter in the picture too, again that would have been quite a commitment.

As they say, every picture tells a story.

I never went to Harringay so it was just the scarves that got me thinking. Agree  with you about the commitment of those riders in those days, especially for the Aces and Odsal travelling to the 5 London tracks. Most of the riders would have one bike, transported in the boot of their car. Looking at the photo again, another thing that struck me was the number of women spectators. Would have been unusual in others sports at the time, I would imagine.