British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Genesis

Can you identify these?

http://community.webshots.com/user/nickwells4156

Click on the above link if you may be able to identify some 1930's riders - any help very much appreciated. Thanks!

1. ?

2. Arthur Atkinson + ?

3. Bluey Wilkinson

4. ?

5. ?

6. Danny Dunton (1940s)

7. Jack Bronco Dixon

8. Arthur Atkinson

9. Tommy Croombs

10. ?

11. Phil Bishop

10) Jimmy Gibb ??

5) kinda looks like Ron Johnson, but I guess Miro would have got that if it was him.

And I'm far too young for this anyway :)

Don't count on me await Norbold for the definative version

is no1 wearing a false beard?

Dad reckons number 5 is Geoff Pymar and agrees with Jimmy Gibb for number 10.

Number 1 possibly an American - Ray Tauser ?

1. No idea ???

2. Arthur Atkinson/Bluey Wilkinson

3. Bluey Wilkinson

4. George Saunders

5. No sure, but is not Ron Johnson (Charlie Spinks perhaps??)

6. Danny Dunton

7. Bronco Dixon

8. Ken Brett

9 Tommy Croombs

10. Dont Know (Eric Chitty was Canadian/West ham but it does not look like him?)

11. Phil Bishop.

Thats my best shot Nick. The Bulk of them appear to be West Ham riders.

Edited by Dick Darstadly

I agree with Dick's list.

No. 1 is not Ray Tauser

No. 5 does look like Charlie Spinks. It's definitely NOT Ron Johnson

No. 10 is not Eric Chitty. Don't think it's Jimmy Gibb either (but I could be wrong!)

Vintage Speedway mag also had a question about a Canadian team from 1938 and had problems naming the riders.All they could do was name the riders that were on the tour.Bob Sparks,Elwood Stilwell,Bruce Venier, and Eddie Baker.The photo looks to be taken at the same time.Maybe one of them.VSM vol9.No4 if anyone has it :)

Thanks for all that information everyone. If I ever manage to get names for the unidentified I will post them. Since putting those on webshot I have found some team photos including a Canadian one. I know the other three are 1936 and guess the Canadian one is too? If you fancy a look click the link below and then select newest to bring up the album. Again, any help on these greatly appreciated. Not sure how much more I have got amongst everything I am trying to look through but if any more speedway I will be putting them on webshot as and when.

Thanks again for the help so far! I do have quite a bit of New Cross that I have already sent to Dick D and that will go on webshot in due course as well.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nickwells4156

Canadian team is same as i mentioned taken in 1938,at Custom House.Kneeling is George Pepper,J.Hoskins,Eric Chitty and his daughter then Jimmy Gibb :D

Good news, many thanks for that Iris! Just found some more as well, so will put them up when I can. Anybody want to chip any more in? Cheers, NIck

Anyone heard of a rider called lloyld goffe im sure he had a motorcycle shop at twyford in berkshire,its just that i remember seeing a 30/40s picture of speedway on the wall in his shop 20 yrs ago could he be in the picture.

Lloyd Goffe rode for Harringay in the late 40s. Apparently he used to put cotton wool on his backside inside his leathers because he sweated so much.

Lloyd Goffe rode for Harringay in the late 40s. Apparently he used to put cotton wool on his backside inside his leathers because he sweated so much.

First time ever I felt that I needed to say this to you Norbold......

......... too much information !!!

:D

Just a thought, but? If we have this interest in the old black n white images why don't we get a site together to swap info and images

If anyone possesses the IT knowledge to set up a Yahoo list or similar you could count on my help. Speedway History is being lost or degraded everyday, also why let all this fall into the hands of the money makers who expect us to pay for retro mags and books when the history is there in the heads and collections of our older supporters.

Anyway fancy setting this up with me?