British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Tai Woffinden Best Ever!?

Perhaps the GP's should be cut down to 8 riders for the series as the others are just also rans... And then in a few years 6... And then down to 4...

Edited by iainb

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

Agreed... But to say there were no other serious contenders is wrong. Wasn't Tommy Knudsen kind of joint favourite in 1986 until Hans knocked him off in his desperation to win his first world title?

I never really felt it with Knudsen the way I did with Nielsen and Gundersen. Good as he was, I will always remember him mainly for falling off when doing a w

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

At the beginning of the year based on early performances and performances from the previous year and known quality of riders I'd have said (in no particular order) Zmarzlik, Dudek, Janowski, Doyle, Hancock & Lindgren, of course they all fell away for one reason or another over the course of the season but I wouldn't have been surprised if any of these had claimed top spot

This year I would agree there were several contenders. Next year I reckon there are 3 main contenders.

Zmarzlik - can he make the final step-up that his ability indicates he can?

Doyle - how he will now respond to no longer being Champion and how much does he want it now that he has already won it once?

Woffinden - obviously.

17 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Sorry. I thought we had concluded that for most world finals in the 80s there were only 2 Or 3 riders with a chance of winning, and less if it were a gp.

I gave u 5 for this year. Where i come from, 5 Is more than 3.

You put 3 and Emil as an after thought, after two GPs it was obvious Doyle wasn't a threat

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

Next year I reckon there are 3 main contenders.

Zmarzlik - can he make the final step-up that his ability indicates he can?

Doyle - how he will now respond to no longer being Champion and how much does he want it now that he has already won it once?

Woffinden - obviously.

Don't think you can ever count Hancock out, Dudek is consistent if nothing else, Janowski if he can eliminate his couple of duffers and Lindgren surely if (as with the others) injury free.

Maybe Emil too if he can turn his career around and recapture his speed of a few years ago

3 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

You put 3 and Emil as an after thought, after two GPs it was obvious Doyle wasn't a threat

Obviously the longer you go into the competition the less contenders there are. And although Doyle wasn't a threat for the title at the start of the year he was certainly a threat of spoiling others chances at the end of the year

Edited by iainb

Just now, iainb said:

Don't think you can ever count Hancock out, Dudek is consistent if nothing else, Janowski if he can eliminate his couple of duffers and Lindgren surely if (as with the others) injury free.

Maybe Emil too if he can turn his career around and recapture his speed of a few years ago

Not saying it is beyond anyone else, but I only see it being one of those 3 next year - and I'm no longer convinced that Jason Doyle really wants it badly enough. Likewise Hancock.

Lindgren a possible dark horse. Janowski needs to up his game once he realises he is up with the leaders.

7 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm no longer convinced Jason Doyle really wants it badly enough. Likewise Hancock.

I'm sure if they didn't want it they wouldn't be riding in the GP's... Have you seen the prize money on offer? I can't see they're making a profit from it compared to Poland

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'm sure if they didn't want it they wouldn't be riding in the GP's... Have you seen the prize money on offer? I can't see they're making a profit from it compared to Poland

I don't mean want it. I mean WANT it.

49 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Well at the start of the year Doyle as reigning champ, Zmarzlik, Lindgren who started the season on fire, Emil. 

So Woffinden had 3 serious rivals one possible rival, ten chances instead of one, the backing of three team mates and when he wins he is the best ever.

How stupid am I, to not understand how great a rider he is, in fact the best ever hahaha

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Well at the start of the year Doyle as reigning champ, Zmarzlik, Lindgren who started the season on fire, Emil. 

And the backing of the series main sponsor just in case. 

Edited by MARK246
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

So Woffinden had 3 serious rivals one possible rival, ten chances instead of one, the backing of three team mates and when he wins he is the best ever.

How stupid am I, to not understand how great a rider he is, in fact the best ever hahaha

Best British rider ever

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

More than Hans Nielsen had. Hans had one serious rival.

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

More than Hans Nielsen had. Hans had one serious rival.

But in 5 rides one mistake is crucial over 70 races it is what it is 

13 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

But in 5 rides one mistake is crucial over 70 races it is what it is 

Likewise, you can be fortunate and  win a one-off because another rider who should have won made that one mistake that you mention.

Apples and oranges.

6 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Likewise, you can be fortunate and  win a one-off because another rider who should have won made that one mistake that you mention.

Apples and oranges.

...and this year went down to the 229th race of 230 before Woffinden clinched it. That’s a pretty fine room for error.