British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Unknown Riders

, Late Nigel Sparshott,

Thanks again Frigbo.

As i missed a lot over the last decade or so what happened to Nigel?

, Late Nigel Sparshott,

Thanks again Frigbo.

As i missed a lot over the last decade or so what happened to Nigel?

Car accident in the early to mid nineties.

Re. the West Ham photo: There were three Courtnell brothers, Terry, Teddy and Maury but Terry is the best known and rode for West Ham in 1955 and 1956 after the closure of Yarmouth, then released to Oxford were he had some success. (Maury was also around Oxford too I believe and was noted for adopting a 'Teddy Boy' style).

Found a photo of Terry in 1956 with Oxford riders Newton, Genz and Byford, who were with him in that car crash along with Trevor Redmond in which he was killed.

Obituary in the Speedway Star said: "Terry Courtnell will be remebered as long as there are speedway machines and riders with hearts as big as his to ride them"

Here remembered.

Edited by miro

Was relying on you Norbold for the Dons riders.

Sorry about that. :oops:

I think you're right about Ronnie Moore but I'm afraid I don't know who the other rider is.

Thanks again :D

Guess you never know what stories will turn up when you ask about riders from the past.Happy as well as sad.It was only while talking to a supporter last year that i heard of Simon Wiggs death .I guess the fact that we still fondly remember or think of these guys is a consolation however small.It was for that reason i put a photo of Tommy Jansson on the site

Put 2 more on of ,i think John Dews and Christer Sjosten that i would swap if anyones interested :unsure:

Weymouth;

Brian Woodward Newport (Somerton Park) no8 kneeling right hand side. Now clerk of the course at Queensway Meadows.

It was only while talking to a supporter last year that i heard  of Simon Wiggs death

I'm also a returning fan, after sporadic attendance over the past few years due to work committments I'm now trying to get back to seeing racing on a regular basis.

What happened to Wiggy? He was one of the first riders I saw racing during his somewhat unhappy year with Hackney in 1987.

Poole '88 - Far left is Robbie Fuller, Kneeling on the left Craig Boyce, and on the bike Steve schofield of course. Tony Langdon has already been named believe.

Edited by Robyn1972

Don`t know the exact details as it was told to me in german and my medical knowledge of german isnt that good but he had a brain tumor,not sure if that was the cause or quite when he died.Wasn`t a track accident though