British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1950 Queries

The further back I go the more that needs resolving. Please excuse the length of the list (edited) and let me know if you can assist. The list is in club order:

06/04 Bothwell v Speedway World Novices - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

26/11 Bothwell v The Rest - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

11/06 California v Rye House - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

30/07 Eastbourne v California - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

19/08 Eastbourne v Rye House - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

15/04 High Beech v Epping Foresters - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

22/07 High Beech v Rye House- CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

23/04 & 30/07 & 06/08 all at Rye House - dates only - DID ANYTHING TAKE PLACE?

Edited by daveallan81
Updated

18/03 Bothwell Best Pairs - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT
18th March - Winners: Tommy Miller and Duncan Hendrie.  2nd: Willie Gordon and Jock Pryde.  3rd: Niven Mcreadie and Gordon Mitchell

ALSO NOTE THESE BOTHWELL FIXTURES:
27th May Bothwell Bulls v High Beech postponed (the High Beech transport lorry caught fire at Leicester).  At short notice a challenge was arranged, result Bothwell Bulls 41 Glasgow Select 39.
22nd October Bothwell Bulls 65 Newtongrange Rockets 17 (challenge)

04/08 Bristol All-Star Guest Night - tie between Cyril Brine & Dick Bradley - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?
4th August – Bristol Best Pairs, tie for 1st place between Dick Bradley (13)/Ernie Roccio (7) 20 and Cyril Brine (13)/Jack Mountford (7) 20 (£10 prize shared). £10 prize for the top home rider – Bradley (13); £10 prize for the top visiting rider – Brine (13).  The programme confirmed the nature of this event and Speedway Echo confirmed.

13/10 Bristol Best Pairs - tie between D. Bradley & K. Middleditch and C. Boss & D. Close - ANY OUTRIGHT WINNER?

13th October – programme shows that there was a £10 prize shared between Bradley (11)/Middleditch (11) 22 & Boss (12)/Close (10) 22 with a tie for 1st place. Eric Salmon won £10 prize as the top scoring home rider (15) and Middleditch £10 for the top visiting rider (11).

11th June California 50 Rye House 51 

17/03 High Beech West Ham Juniors v Stoke - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT
Possibly not staged as an article in Speedway Gazette stated that ‘speedway returns to High Beech on Easter Saturday’ (8th April)

15/04 High Beech v Epping Foresters - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT
15th April confirmed, result not known.

ALSO NOTE THESE FIXTURES:

10th September 1950
Newtongrange Rockets 30 Bothwell Bulls 51

2nd December 1950
Newtongrange Rockets 24 Bothwell Bulls 45 (
meeting curtailed due to icy conditions)

08/04 Oxford v Exeter 52-32 - CONFIRM DATE & RESULT
Saturday 8th April Oxford 52 Exeter 32 confirmed

31/08 Oxford v Liverpool Rained Off -  - CONFIRM DATE
31st August confirmed

28/03 Southampton C. (Charles?) Knott Trophy winner (Bob?) Oakley - CONFIRM DATE, EVENT & WINNER
28th March - Charles Knott Trophy, winner Bob Oakley 15, 2nd Craighead 14, 3rd May 12

13/06 Southampton Supporters' Trophy winner Roy Craighead - CONFIRM DATE & WINNER
13th June, winner Roy Craighead, 2nd= Wotton and McFarlane 12

27/06 Southampton v Southern Stars 40-44 - CONFIRM DATE & RESULT
27th June Southampton 40 Southern Stars 44

18/07 Southampton Future Stars Trophy winner Bill Holden - CONFIRM DATE & WINNER
18th July, winner Bill Holden 15, 2nd Alan Kidd 13, 3rd= Hayles, McNaughton, Bridges, Taylor 11

25/07 Southampton World Championship QR winner Merv Harding - CONFIRM DATE & WINNER
25th July, winner Merv Harding 13, 2nd Mason 12, 3rd= Bob Oakley, Craighead, Potter 11

27/06 St. Austell - date only - DID ANYTHING TAKE PLACE?

27th June – no meeting

Also note re Belfast Dunmore 1950:

Saturday 20th May 1950 Dunmore Trophy
Winner: Tommy Turnham 14pts, 2nd= Wally Lloyd 12, Jimmy Clay 12, Ron Johnston 12

Saturday 27th May 1950 Best Pairs
Winners Tommy Lack and Ralph Horne 23 pts, 2nd Malcolm Riddell and Mike Tams 21 pts

Saturday 3rd June 1950
Tommy Turnham’s Team 34 Wally Lloyd’s Team 50

Saturday 1st September Supporters’ Trophy
This was Friday 1st September

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

The further back I go the more that needs resolving. Please excuse the length of the list and let me know if you can assist. The list is in club order:

09/04 California Billy Newell's Team v Trevor Davies' Team - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

Confirmed - completed prog gives result as 65-42 to Newell's team

28/05 California - date only - DID ANYTHING TAKE PLACE?

Open individual winner Trevor Davies 15 (Davies set three new track records), Ted Cook 13, Sims & Peck 11 (completed prog)

Confirmed - completed prog gives result as 50 1/2 - 49 1/2 to Rye House

02/07 California v The Rest - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

Confirmed - completed prog gives result as 58-36 to The Rest

10/09 California Vampires v Meteors - CONFIRM DATE & OBTAIN RESULT

Confirmed - completed prog gives result as 58-38 to Meteors

• Like 1

Thank you both.

I note two different scores being touted for 11/06 California v Rye House - I'm inclined to take the marked programme result but open to persuasion...

BL65 - re. Bothwell 27/05 - Glasgow were at Hanley that day. Is there anything to tell whether this was a Glasgow Select (as in riders from that area) or a Tigers 'reserve' team?

20 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Thank you both.

I note two different scores being touted for 11/06 California v Rye House - I'm inclined to take the marked programme result but open to persuasion...

BL65 - re. Bothwell 27/05 - Glasgow were at Hanley that day. Is there anything to tell whether this was a Glasgow Select (as in riders from that area) or a Tigers 'reserve' team?

There is another example (from 1956) at California where dead heat was scored inconsistently - both second place riders getting 2 points. I think this is what might have happened here.

9 minutes ago, arnieg said:

There is another example (from 1956) at California where dead heat was scored inconsistently - both second place riders getting 2 points. I think this is what might have happened here.

Yes I remember that being discussed. In light of that, I'll be taking the marked programme result as correct until proven otherwise.

29 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Thank you both.

I would go with the marked programme result.

No further details re the Glasgow Select team, but as Bothwell team comprised junior riders/trainees I suspect it would have been a group of junior riders associated with Glasgow teams.  A meeting staged on 13th May as part of the 150th Anniversary Show at Hamilton resulted in a 48-35 in for Bothwell Bulls against a Glasgow 'Giants and Tigers Select'.  The Select team on that occasion comprised Tommy Miller, Peter Dykes, Gundy Harris, Clive Gresser, Bob Lindsay, Frank Kyle, Eric Davis and Jim Black.  The Bothwell team was Ken McKinlay, Willie Gordon, J Green, Nivvie Macreadie, A Robertson, Jim Blythe, Jock Pryde and Fred Rowe.  (Miller also won the Hamilton Cup, from Dykes, McKinlay and Gordon).  I suspect some of the 'Select' riders may also have taken part on 27th May.  

7 minutes ago, BL65 said:

I would go with the marked programme result.

No further details re the Glasgow Select team, but as Bothwell team comprised junior riders/trainees I suspect it would have been a group of junior riders associated with Glasgow teams.  A meeting staged on 13th May as part of the 150th Anniversary Show at Hamilton resulted in a 48-35 in for Bothwell Bulls against a Glasgow 'Giants and Tigers Select'.  The Select team on that occasion comprised Tommy Miller, Peter Dykes, Gundy Harris, Clive Gresser, Bob Lindsay, Frank Kyle, Eric Davis and Jim Black.  The Bothwell team was Ken McKinlay, Willie Gordon, J Green, Nivvie Macreadie, A Robertson, Jim Blythe, Jock Pryde and Fred Rowe.  (Miller also won the Hamilton Cup, from Dykes, McKinlay and Gordon).  I suspect some of the 'Select' riders may also have taken part on 27th May.  

I maintain a Glasgow results history file so my dilemna is whether or not to include the match in the results. The 13th May fixture is already included. 

22 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

I maintain a Glasgow results history file so my dilemna is whether or not to include the match in the results. The 13th May fixture is already included. 

Speedway World June 7th 1950 included a report headed 'Lorry on fire spoilt match'.  The report continued:

The High Beech team's first proposed visit to Scotland ended disastrously.  On the way north the transport lorry caught fire at Leicester and the Londoners had to call off their match with Bothwell Bulls.  

At short notice a challenge match was arranged against a Glasgow selected side and after 14 closely-contested heats of racing the Bulls won their first real test by two points, 41-39.

Highest scorers were the two White City novices, Willie Gordon and Gundy Harris and Jim Black and Bob Lindsay, two of the lads that have done a big part of the work towards getting the Bulls properly started as a racing outfit on their home-made track.

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Speedway World June 7th 1950 included a report headed 'Lorry on fire spoilt match'.  The report continued:

The High Beech team's first proposed visit to Scotland ended disastrously.  On the way north the transport lorry caught fire at Leicester and the Londoners had to call off their match with Bothwell Bulls.  

At short notice a challenge match was arranged against a Glasgow selected side and after 14 closely-contested heats of racing the Bulls won their first real test by two points, 41-39.

Highest scorers were the two White City novices, Willie Gordon and Gundy Harris and Jim Black and Bob Lindsay, two of the lads that have done a big part of the work towards getting the Bulls properly started as a racing outfit on their home-made track.

I think that's enough evidence for the result to be included in the Glasgow list. Good work, sir.