British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

No real surprise sadly. 

Those involved have done the supporters up 'like kippers'.. 

I hope they're proud of themselves.. :nono:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JessicaJones said:

Yes, the speedway management should have been open about it from before they went to that BSPA meeting. I found that snippet purely by chance. 
I phoned my contact at the Adver today and he chased it up which may have forced the press release. It is now in the Swindon Advertiser.

Since I researched the history of Gaming International, I thought it highly unlikely that the stadium would ever get redeveloped. And that, coupled with the growing unpopularity of greyhound racing, made me even more convinced. But every time I came on here to say, I was very unpopular….I debated whether to post that snippet at all because every post I have made got shot down in flames! 
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/22808306.abbey-stadium-closes-doors-swindon-speedway/#comments-anchor

You must be buzzing tonight. Greyhounds will be gone soon.

16 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

You must be buzzing tonight. Greyhounds will be gone soon.

We had already heard a few weeks ago that the greyhound track is likely to close on 23rd December. 

9 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

The best years for me was seeing Leigh in action every week. He's probably my favourite sportsman of all time. We were so lucky to witness that class every week for years. Will always remember the 2012 title as it was the first for ages and always good to get one over Poole! I remember punch ups at Oxford when I was a kid! Punch ups at Eastbourne when I was a bit older! Crumpy going unbeaten for about 7-8 meetings in Div 2 one year. Personally, great memories of going with my grandparents and then taking my niece and nephew and my own boys eventually. Gutted to be honest. Got plenty of other things going on in life and we haven't had speedway for 3 years but this still feels like a massive loss.

To see Briggs,Broady, Ashby, Kilb,  Autrey, Crump (snr)  and Jason , Nilsen, Leigh,  Darcy ( for a treat) Doyley we have been blessed. Also  the lesser lights Malc, Hitchey( so exciting) to watch and Worth every penny a horrible day for me feel  betrayed today feel angry but nothing will change.

• Like 4

It’s clear that today’s statement has come as no surprise to anyone. From the moment the picture of Rosco with a set of stadium plans in his hands with Osborne looking on was published GI has shown absolutely zero intent to press ahead with redeveloping the Abbey & this announcement was always going to be the outcome. ‘Swindon Motorsports Ltd’ is surely some sort of tasteless joke - what a motley crew. Its  just a ‘sop’ to the fans “Look don’t worry about the Abbey, we’ve formed a shiny new company to build a new stadium” 

Not only is this bad news for Robins fans but it has wider implications for the sport in the UK. How long will a 6 team Premiership last? I think the BSPA was banking on the return of Swindon to shore it up but with Peterborough’s uncertain future  it really does look doomed.

Would love to be at the AGM this year. 

2 minutes ago, JessicaJones said:

We had already heard a few weeks ago that the greyhound track is likely to close on 23rd December. 

Well you won then. Congrats. 

Are you you pleased Jessica overall ?  a terrible day.

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Are you you pleased Jessica overall ?  a terrible day.

This is why I don’t post on here! You wouldn’t know about the closure if I hadn’t posted about it. You’re welcome….please don’t take it out on me. Aim your upset at Gaming International. 

• Like 2

Don’t take it out on me. Take it out on the council and Gaming International. 

How am I taking anything out on you? You wanted the dogs gone at Swindon and it has. You were told no dogs meant no speedway and that was correct. Your post yesterday has totally forced their hand today which is appreciated as f*ck knows how long the lies would have gone on for. You have got what you campaigned for. 

3 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

How am I taking anything out on you? You wanted the dogs gone at Swindon and it has. You were told no dogs meant no speedway and that was correct. Your post yesterday has totally forced their hand today which is appreciated as f*ck knows how long the lies would have gone on for. You have got what you campaigned for. 

Ok but not one single person has said thank you for sharing it and I didn’t have to because every time I come on here I just get a load of abuse. 

Your post comes across as aggressive. I don’t know if you mean that to be the case but that’s how it reads. 

We were never against the speedway. I said that from the beginning and the whole reason I came on here is so that we could campaign together. No one was interested. Then the fans decided to do their own campaign a few months ago which was a bit late.

I’ll stop posting now. I’m sorry you are losing the speedway team - for now at least, until a new site is found (if it is). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

I just looked at their website. Wow f*cking wee. What a p*ss take that is. Lists the clubs Osborne was involved in and they all are defunct!!! Some absolute comedy there on a bad day.

Osbourne the devil incarnate along with his dutiful minnions. There's zero chance SBC will sanction land for sports, they hate people having fun, build build build more homes, welcome to our concrete Jungle where everyone stays indoors.

Edited by noggin
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

To see Briggs,Broady, Ashby, Kilb,  Autrey, Crump (snr)  and Jason , Nilsen, Leigh,  Darcy ( for a treat) Doyley we have been blessed. Also  the lesser lights Malc, Hitchey( so exciting) to watch and Worth every penny a horrible day for me feel  betrayed today feel angry but nothing will change.

Yeah that limited time with Ward in the team was unreal. What a rider he was and he definitely got the crowds in. Doyley will always be a Robins legend after leading us to 2 titles as captain. The last year at the reshaped track was probably the best I can remember racing wise as well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JessicaJones said:

Ok but not one single person has said thank you for sharing it and I didn’t have to because every time I come on here I just get a load of abuse. 

Your post comes across as aggressive. I don’t know if you mean that to be the case but that’s how it reads. 

We were never against the speedway. I said that from the beginning and the whole reason I came on here is so that we could campaign together. No one was interested. Then the fans decided to do their own campaign a few months ago which was a bit late.

I’ll stop posting now. I’m sorry you are losing the speedway team - for now at least, until a new site is found (if it is). 

Its not aggressive at all. You were fighting a campaign that you would always win because GI wanted the stadium completely gone. We never had a chance of saving speedway.

• Like 2