British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dick Darstadly

New Cross Speedway

Guest clivehitch

Don't remember any trouble from the notorious Millwall fans at New Cross..i think speedway is more family orientated anyway..can only remember 1 or 2 incidents at all the meetings i have attended.

The away fans in speedway don't follow the team in the same numbers they do at football.

I think there is housing on the Den and Frying Pan sites now,as Millwall F.C. are now at Senegal Fields by South Bermondsey station.

Guest Jim Blanchard

To be honest Clivehitch, I lived just the other end of Cold Blow lane and as well as supporting New Cross speedway (whenever it was in operation..) I went to most of the home Millwall matches with either my dad or my mate, for many years and I can never remember any trouble at either.

Just out of interest,in your day who was considered the main rivals? Wembley,Wimbledon or West Ham i guess

Guest clivehitch

Jim..we used to go to Charlton in the sixties, but most of my mates were Millwall

fans and i found the atmosphere quite intimidating at the Old Den.No away fan or team liked going there.

NO ONE LIKES US WE DON'T CARE!!

Guest Jim Blanchard

Well then - serves you right for going to Charlton. :D You must have had a guilty concious.

I never ever felt intimidated at the Den :approve: I almost lived there....

Guest clivehitch

Yeah but Jim you weren't an 'Addicks fan at the Den..scary mate!!

Guest Jim Blanchard

No true I was not and I am not sure what it was either Clive. Just had a few things come back to me whilst on the subject (the old altzhiemers keeps kicking in...)

A guy used to walk around the pitch on the gravel path with a white coat on selling sweets and crisps from a huge whicker type basket - he was a family friend known as Archie Bullimore. His proper job was driving one of those three wheeled lorries I think they were called Scamels or Scarabs or something like that!

With just a quick walk through the arches in Cold Blow Lane and we were there. So on our doorstep was Football, Speedway and greyhound racing. During either speedway or the dog meetings they used to open the main gates at the Den so that you could walk through the back of the terraces to get to the speedway track. It was a narrow archway that was access to the seating area. It got a bit hectic when the meeting ended and so many people were trying squeezing into it, very claustrophobic. I used to feel very relieved to get out of it. When I got married and cleared off my parents house was eventually demolished at the Deptford end of Cold Blow Lane but they were rehoused at the New Cross end in the Flats just off Monson Road called Barlborough Street.

When visting my Dad once there in the '80's I drove down Ilderton Road to see what had happened to the Frying Pan and it was just a grassy mound with flats all around it but the shape of it was there with a high brow at the pits end like it used to be. Ah what memories.

Millwall wise I am talking in the Joey Broadfoot Keith Weller era. When I got married and moved away in the early 70's I never really ever went back there and have never seen the new Den.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Guest clivehitch

Have visited the New Den..too posh..not intimidating enough!!

There was not a better cure for constipation as an away fan than walking through the maze of back streets to the Old Den!!

Norbold.. just finished reading your excellent "Speedway in London"book..brought back memories.My Dad was a Wembley fan after the war(traitor!he was a sarf'Londoner!)and was in the crowd of 85000 for the WembleyvNew Cross match..20000 locked out!!

Do you think this is a record for a club meeting?

Sad to see the state of speedway in the capital today

clivehitch

Had a couple of friends(Man Utd fans) who went to the Old Den,wandering lost around the back streets and were approached by someone saying "you ain't Millwall fans are ya".They both promptly legged it,in different directions i may add and only one went in to see the match :)

Remember having to produce my season ticket once when i was with a couple of friends who were looking for someone selling ticket for a Chelsea or West Ham game.We walked up to the Cold Blow end,no luck,turned around and was walking back when we were challenged.Great place,great atmosphere.Can't say the same about the new place :(

Sadly, my one and only visit to New Cross was the last meeting in 1963, a 41-37 win against Poole. The next meeting was billed versus Edinburgh the following week but the track closed in that week.

I was in the habit at that time of catching the train to Paddington, after finishing work in Oxford at 4pm, and then getting on the Underground.There was nearly always a bus laid on at the other end to the track. The reverse journey was always a challenge with the train timings but it was good fun cycling home in the early hours with the birds singing.

New Cross was the furthest track across London but I'm glad I made that trip. I was able to get to Wimbledon, Hackney, West Ham and Wembley by this method and always kept the programmes.

Happy days.

Regards

Sadly, my one and only visit to New Cross was the last meeting in 1963,

So it was your fault! :wink:

Norbold,clivehitch or The Artist formerly known as Dick

A question remains unanswered,namely who were The Rangers main rivals?I know at your age the old grey matter isn't what it used to be but surely one of you can remember ;) Or did you think you had already answered

Thanks.Thought you lot would still be having your afternoon kip at the mo' ;)

Guest clivehitch

Richard..i think they lost to Poole 41-37,i can remember Squibbo suffering a rare defeat.I was only 7..does anyone know where i can obtain a programme of that meeting or indeed any other in that fateful year?

Wonder what happened to the Reeves,Penniket,Dugard,Lukehurst,Stevens.?

Bought a 1963 Speedway Star at Belle Vue the other night but their record had been expunged.

Any programmes magazines 40s/50s would be worth a few quid now.

And yes it was your fault