British Speedway Forum
Przemek

1956 WC continental zone qualification

Hello,

I'm looking for the results of 1956 world championship continental qualification rounds.

I have the results of semifinal held in Warsaw, but no idea where and when the second continental SF was staged. From the list of participants of the Continetal Final I could only infer that mystery second SF featured the likes of: German Hofmeister, Seidl, Siegl, Wiesent, Aberl Pole Krzesiński, Dutch Cardang, and the two unlucky Austrian Kamper, and Dirtl.

I believe that results @dlprezes.pl and edinburghspeedway sites are wrong. In fact, they gave the results from Abensberg 1957 SF.

Above-mentioned sources say that there was also Continental Qualifying Round @ Crikvenica (Yugoslavia, nowadays Croatia), but it's really uncertain if that meeting was actually WC qualifier.

I would be grateful for any information.

Regards, 

With the amount of Germans listed, I wonder if the other semi-final was held in Germany?

The other thing I found strange was that Kjell Carlsson seemingly went through the Continental rounds, rather than the Nordic rounds like the other Swedes.

The final was held in Oberhausen, Germany. The meeting when Fritz Dirtl had his fatal crash. Won by Kjell Carllson ahead of Seidl

A piece of film from the meeting can be seen here from around 10:25

https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/586229?q=speedway

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Dirtl

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

OK. Thanks to invaluable Christian Weber I have now the full results.

As iris mentioned Continental Final was held in Oberhausen and yeah, that was the one with crash of Dirtl and Kamper

There were also two semifnals: in Warsaw and in Crikvenica. But the system of qualification was really weird.

From Warsaw advanced 7 riders (though, some of them were replaced by other riders in the Final) and according to Christian from Crikvenica qualified only a winner - one of the Sidlo brothers, although he didn't appear at Oberhausen oval.

8 riders, including Kjell Carlsson (nominated by SVEMO) were seeded directy to Continental Final.

BTW. Ridiculous case of Pole Janusz Suchecki. He advanced from Warsaw, but soon had been suspended for smuggling ... fork, pencil and cigarette case and some parts of watch... and he wasn't able to participate in Oberhausen. The bizarre end of that story is that after retiring he started a career in notorious Polish police and he was a colonel when retired from the service... 

Edited by Przemek
  • Like 2