British Speedway Forum

No Government Support?

3 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

It's a forum say what you think unless your jenga in disguise and will cry outside the turnstiles 

just like to add that a pro sport is classed if you are paid for your time . taxi drivers are classed as pro drivers . so if you make a full time living from it , you should be classed as a pro  and the sport should be able to get funding for it !

hope this post is nice enough for you phil ...

34 minutes ago, jenga said:

just like to add that a pro sport is classed if you are paid for your time . taxi drivers are classed as pro drivers . so if you make a full time living from it , you should be classed as a pro  and the sport should be able to get funding for it !

hope this post is nice enough for you phil ...

Unfortunately as has been recently stated by Ellis Perks you don't make a living from it and don't cover costs so is definitely not professional 

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I am not Jenga in any shape or form

i can vouch for that .

3 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Unfortunately as has been recently stated by Ellis Perks you don't make a living from it and don't cover costs so is definitely not professional 

he must be one of the very few , him and sarge !

14 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

In fairness I think you will find it's not a one man show as I understand it the majority of clubs vetoed Plymouth last year he is just the one who has to say it in public because he is the chairman. 
personally I would like all votes to be transparent so everyone can see who voted for what then see who really is pulling the strings . Instead of just blaming the person who announces it

Yep, nothing to do with the fact that Philips is a wrong ‘un I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep, nothing to do with the fact that Philips is a wrong ‘un I’m sure. 

I wouldn't know that I have no information to back it up.

1 hour ago, lewy said:

And godfreys not!!

not in any dealings I have had with him. Got to speak as you find .

53 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The sport is full of them with degrees of wrongness I’d say :D 

I remember when # Name Removed #, Pavitt and Ronnie Russell came in “to save the day” at Somerset in 2009. It was like they see a golden egg and just wanted to try and rinse it as quick as they could before they were ousted. Wrong’uns!

2 hours ago, John Scrutton said:

If football can run with no crowds every week paying out the huge wages that they do to top clubs then they should not be getting any money

at all rather the other way round,

They aren't all the money for football is going to non-league clubs and the women's game.

• Like 1

The bail out isn’t anti speedway, it’s titled up as a Winter Sports bailout and the key condition was that to qualify for a payment the Sport must be in its normal season, this is why major sports such as Cricket don’t appear on the list.

I am not saying it’s not wrong that Speedway hasn’t had any money, just explaining why nothing has been allocated tomSpeedway

14 hours ago, Turnleft said:

The bail out isn’t anti speedway, it’s titled up as a Winter Sports bailout and the key condition was that to qualify for a payment the Sport must be in its normal season, this is why major sports such as Cricket don’t appear on the list.

I am not saying it’s not wrong that Speedway hasn’t had any money, just explaining why nothing has been allocated tomSpeedway

No there’s a number of summer sports included in the bail out. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

No there’s a number of summer sports included in the bail out. 

Remember  this money is only a loan and the monies “allocated” for each sport still require individual clubs/organisations  (they who will have responsibility for paying back the loan) to apply for their own individual loan. In doing so one of the criteria they will need to meet is to demonstrate the losses they will make from not having crowds in attendance or similar forms of income such as sponsorship I.e. no event/crowd no (reduced) sponsorship money. They will also need to show how the loan will be paid back. 
The term “winter sport” is a bit of a red herring and only applicable because of the period of time the loans will be available the “winter” months of Dec - March. Clearly some sports operate throughout the year both indoor & outdoors  thus this latter element is not a consideration for the eligibility of applying for a loan. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...