British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomazpozrl

Wild cards for Prague GP

German Robert Barth and Czech Antonin Svab received a wild card for 2nd round of 2004 GP series in Prague on May 15th.

Cheers for that Tom, as well as all the other international info you give us.

Can't believe the choice of Robert Barth, should upset at least one Czech rider a helluva lot !

All about money .They want as many german fans to come as possible

Robert Barth and Antonin Svab ???

:angry:

Not good at all!

The likes of Fencl & Suchanek are surely better options as they are two of CZ's top young riders! And what about Topinka who reached the semis last year?!

If the reason for Barth was to put more bums on seats from across the border in Germany, then surely the likes of Schultz are better (in that he is the German champion!)

Guest JY2003

Well done to Toni but i wouldnt have chosen Robert, i would have chose Lubos Tomicek :D:D

Well done to Toni but i wouldnt have chosen Robert, i would have chose Lubos Tomicek :D:D

I don't think we'll have to wait too long before Lubos is in the series proper JY - the guy is an outstanding prospect. :approve:

If the reason for Barth was to put more bums on seats from across the border in Germany, then surely the likes of Schultz are better (in that he is the German champion!)

That was the reason.Its been in the press here for quite a while,but like you say everyone was expecting it to be Schultz or Wolter.Someone who does concentrate on speedway and at least it would give Matze some experience for the future.But it is reasonable to expect the Czechs to want to choose the rider they think will be the biggest draw and as Barth is a World Champ and still the best speedway rider in Germany,thats what happens. Like i said before this could happen more in the future where its which country has the money dominates especially if the company that holds the rights nomnates the wild cards

Edited by iris123

Don't understand people's problem with this. There are already three Czechs in the series proper. I say its good to try and widen the appeal of our sport. Speedway used to be popular in Germany, shouldn't we try and re-generate that enthusiasm? :D

That Robert Barth get the Wild Card ist, I think that he is the World Champ on Longtrack. So I think this was the reason maybe to say Speedway WC against Longtrack WC, if Barth could qualify for Sweet 16. I think Barth is better than Schultz. The best Youngster in Germany at the moment ist (my opinion) Martin Smolinski.

Barth and Smolinski just give up one point in Best pairs Meeting at Neustadt/Donau. Barth has beeten Brhel or Fisher and Janiro like i heard without any problems so i think the Wild Card for Barth is okay.

Falace said it right, there are with A& L Dryml and Bo Brhel three Czechs in Gp and so they said one German to get people from Germany.

But why they didn't took Topinka, i can't understand.

I hope that Barth will have more than two heats in this meeting.

Edited by German Speedway Fan

Guest Snow White

If you restrict the countries from which competitors enter then it is meaningless to have a GP series. The future of this sport relates to the interest generated through the GP series. No German GP. No Italian GP. No French GP. No Spanish GP. No No No No.

Come on, this could be promoted better, lots of Germans, Italians, French and yes Spanish fans are out their. But who is promoting or better still who wants to.

I know several parties who love the sport and are still waiting for that phone call?

Dont call us and we wont call you?

Bet you the Danes (also a neighbour of Germany) don't have a German rider as a Wild Card.

Feel sorry for Topinka, last year he gave a great wild card performance and should have been selected again.

Maybe Sweden could have done with a few extra fans by using a German as a wild card :D

Bet you the Danes (also a neighbour of Germany) don't have a German rider as a Wild Card.

Feel sorry for Topinka, last year he gave a great wild card performance and should have been selected again.

For the Copenhagen GP I would undoubtful prefer Kenneth Bjerre on a Wild Card.

He is one of the future, but let us see if he gets the chance.

There is, unfortunately, a lot of politics in these arrangements, so if your are not the best buddy to the decisionsmakers then you don't have a chance IMHO.

KB is IMO not a rider with the personality that just says yes to everything that comes from the top, unless it fits into his plans, he has his own meaning, and sticks to it. Some people don't like that type of a rider ! ! !

If they want more visitors, they should have invite polish rider as a Wild card!

I don't understand this...

think there are already Polish riders qualified.no need for wild card