British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dick Darstadly

Did Mauger Race With Peter Craven

I can recall that the great Ivan Mauger claimed somewhere in an article, or in one of his books that he never ever raced with Peter Craven. I have collected many photo's over the years and this one I printed myself from a negative supplied by Alf Weedon. It features Dick Fisher and Peter Craven leaning on the fence at what looks like Southampton. (Anyone confirm that much?)

To me between them looks like a young Ivan Mauger. I would be very interested if anyone can throw any light on this. My motive is not to make Ivan look anything other than perhaps unaware that he might have raced the great PC at sometime in his illustrious career.

http://freespace.virgin.net/pete.craven/fisher_craven.JPG

Hi DD

Yes does look like Ivan, however,it still may be he did not ride against him in the meeting!

Nice to see the leathers instead of Kevelars or football shirts!

Hi CHK,

Of course that's possible but what are the circumstances of the photograph. World Championship qualifying round perhaps at Bannister Court?

Anyone throw anylight on it.

World Championship qualifying round perhaps at Bannister Court? Anyone throw anylight on it.

I think it's a League Match - wrong race jackets for a qualifier, although it does look like Banister Court.

If it is - I cannot remember Ivan riding there in anything other than a second half, and in any event, if there is ONE rider in the world he would never forget riding with it would be Peter Craven I'd have thought.

Ivan was tagging along with Wimbledon back in those days, so why would he have been at Southampton for a second half ride, in what looks like a Belle Vue League Meeting.

Just for the record - this is from a programme that I still have:

Saints V Wimbledon

June 25th 1963 - National League

Final Score: Saints 44 - Dons 34

This Programme contains in Heat 2 of the Second Half,

a then, pretty much unknown Rider in his ONLY Ride of the night,

who was wearing an old No8 Wimbledon Jacket.

The result of that Race was:-

1 Barry Briggs

2 Peter Vandenberg

3 Jim Tebby

4 Ivan Mauger

TIME:- 64 secs.

That was, of course, Southampton's last Season and not long before Peter's tragic crash, so again, there is a time element that precludes too many opportunities for him to have raced against Peter.

Sorry - not trying to be argumentative :rolleyes:

Crouch.

Ivan was tagging along with Wimbledon back in those days, so why would he have been at Southampton for a second half ride, in what looks like a Belle Vue League Meeting.

Sorry Crouch I disagree with you.

In 1963 Ivan Mauger won the Provincial Final of the World Championship rounds at Edinburgh with 14 points, he also won the Provinicial League riders championship the same year, so he was hardly uknown.

Also, according to his book 'Triple Crown Plus' he took part in World Championship qualifying round at Southampton on the 4th of July 1963 and scored 5 points. Peter Craven was also in the same round as was also Dick Fisher. That is that qualifying round in my photo I would say.

"In my first ride I crashed heaily with Dick Fisher and had a very bad shaking and was quite dizzy and dazed for the rest of the meeting".

His other rounds were at Swindon and Oxford.

He must have raced against Peter Craven......and forgot :o

Edited by Dick Darstadly

Maybe the fact he was dizzy for the rest of the meeting explains why he forgot?

Maybe, its as good as any I guess. I would have thought that someome would have the report from that qualifying round on the 4th of July 1963 in an old Speedway Star. I've looked but I do not have it.

2nd July 1963 World Champ Qual Round, Southampton

Heat 17, Craven, Briggs, Mauger, Ashby

Thanks Frigbo. The date in Ivans book is the 4th. Which is obviously error.

That is definitely Ivan in the photo.

Ivan joined Newqcastle and PCs brother Brian was also riding for Newcastle.

Incidentally I am putting a website together with old stuff from Newcastle. I started watching at Newccy in 1961, probs I got is earlier years. Apart from Ken Le Breton and Farmer Grant I know little about 1929 to 1951 newccy riders anyone help me, please?

email

Dantodan@btopenworld.com

I've got a few programmes from '46, '49 and '51 from Brough Park. I could post the Newcastle teams on here if it's any use to you. Maybe this weekend when I have more time.

Maybe Ivan meant he never RACED with Peter Craven as in battling out for position on the track????

There's bound to be the odd race won by Craven with talented young upstart Mauger towards the back. However, being in the same heat and actually racing him are two different things.

All the best

Rob

Edited by robpeasley

Well I am sorry chaps - looks like 'ole Crouch has opened up the throttle with no fuel in the tank.

Maybe that's why he rode in the second half on the 25th June ---------

he had the qualifier coming up and hadn't riden the track before?

Still don't understand the race Jackets though.

I thought all the qualifiers we had were riden in green Race Jackets with a yellow world globe on them.

Must be wrong about that too - I must keep out of the Pub ??? or perhaps, on the other hand, maybe I should go more often.

:approve:

Crouch.

I thought all the qualifiers we had were riden in green Race Jackets with a yellow world globe on them.

I think you will find that the globe was yellow with a blue background Crouch. They could have used them for some earlier qualifying rounds though most of the pictures I have of PC he wore his Belle Vue one at the end of his career. Did they use them at the International and the Laurels perhaps etc? Anyone know?

http://freespace.virgin.net/barry.briggo/bb_3.JPG

Briggo wearing one.

Edited by Dick Darstadly