British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Missed opportunities with live streaming

Unfortunately no one in authority is listening. A few clubs make the effort and like many On the forum I wish more would stream matches. Few people these days travel to away meetings particularly if it is not a Friday, Saturday or Sunday race day. Many who watch speedway are unlikely to travel a long distances given the unpredictability of the sport being on and as has been said already many would probably subscribe and what better way to put something into the coffers of the sport for the benefit of all clubs. This past weekend was a fine example when streaming may have paid dividends. Sadly nothing can change the dinosaurs in charge who still believe that main terrestrial/ satellite channels are the panacea for speedway.  If that is the case why is Netflix so successful with not a live programme in sight. Streaming and highlights from around the tracks is not beyond the capabilities and frankly delayed streaming by say 15 or 20 mins might solve the problems for some who have concerns that it may affect attendances. After all, in few cases is it worth watching the same race twice as is currently the case on live screenings. What about a subscription streaming service with discounts for buying a certain number of meetings in advance? Something new needs to be trialed rather than let the idea die.

6 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

From 1500kms away I’d pay for streaming. It’s a good job I didn’t fly over for the first few meetings of the season as they were cancelled because of rain. 

Why don't you live in the UK?

Why do you not regard our country as good enough to live in?

I agree with everyone - live streaming is such an obvious thing to do (you'd think...). Now that my team (Somerset) has folded, and with Swindon not running this year, I'm looking at travelling a minimum of 2 hours there and 2 hours back to see any live speedway at my nearest tracks (Poole / Wolverhampton / Plymouth). I'm not really up for going such a long distance on a regular basis, so I'll happily pay for a live feed to watch as a 'neutral' supporter. Had to laboriously trawl through the websites of each and every club just to check who was offering a live stream right now. Answer: hardly any of them! Tuned into Edinburgh's meeting last Friday against Redcar and was very impressed with their presentation. If Edinburgh can do this, why can't many other clubs? Now hoping to watch the Glasgow meeting this Friday.

Surely it may depend on how good the Wi-Fi/broadband system is at each stadium - bearing in mind the ownership of most stadiums it might not be the Speedway Club's fsult.

9 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Surely it may depend on how good the Wi-Fi/broadband system is at each stadium - bearing in mind the ownership of most stadiums it might not be the Speedway Club's fsult.

Could be steamed on a 5G signal without issue.