British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Newcastle 26/06/21

4 hours ago, justathought said:

Looks like a poor Newcastle team to me. If Leicester don’t win this, then we really do have problems. 

You may have just given the lions the kiss of death as the diamonds team spirit is worthy of a trophy alone

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

You may have just given the lions the kiss of death as the diamonds team spirit is worthy of a trophy alone

We’ll soon find out. 

I emailed Leicester Speedway a few weeks ago about getting tickets to this meeting.. 

Although the meeting was advertised, you couldn't buy tickets at the time, so we couldn't book hotel rooms. 

No one bothered to reply, so despite driving straight past Leicester on our way back from Sheffield vs Ipswich earlier today, we decided we couldn't be bothered either.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

I emailed Leicester Speedway a few weeks ago about getting tickets to this meeting.. 

Although the meeting was advertised, you couldn't buy tickets at the time, so we couldn't book hotel rooms. 

No one bothered to reply, so despite driving straight past Leicester on our way back from Sheffield vs Ipswich earlier today, we decided we couldn't be bothered either.. 

Didn't miss much by the sounds of it

31 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

28 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Didn't miss much by the sounds of it

Although it is frustrating for folk, especially within speedway,,, but honestly, not just speedway, lots of other businesses need to adapt to the new digital era and catch up with technology, cos it ain't going away. :t:

'Come to work, don't come to work',,, forget about your contracted hours, get paid for what you do!

Edited by ruffdiamond

Pretty much a no contest last night with the Newcastle team being woefully understrength... took me back to watching the Invaders in the mid 80's.

Both the twins really impressed with Joe being a bit more on the pace this week and both of them showing a real knack with the Leicester track.

Presentation was better this week with the riders leaving their helmets in the pits for the opening parade and although there was no victory lap at least the riders came out to the centre green for a chat to the fans... All they've got to do now is acknowledge that we're actually the reigning League Champions, wasn't mentioned once last night, perhaps some of the smoke that is blown up the special one's bottom every week could be spared for the club that won the championship. Maybe with the return of the 2019 skipper next week it may be the ideal opportunity to show the fans the trophy that they paid for the club to win?

Not a lot of dirt, so not a lot of lines! Not much passing.

I had a good night though.

• Like 2

I actually thought the racing was ok last night, despite the one sided scoreline.

Edited by BrizHeathen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Markone said:

Not a lot of dirt, so not a lot of lines! Not much passing.

I had a good night though.

Yes, I noticed that... was watching the grader going round during the interval and there wasn't much to grade... And I assume that the unholy noise coming from the grader was it scraping the base of the track. It's not been the same since Glyn Taylor went, whatever happened to him I wonder?

2 hours ago, BrizHeathen said:

I actually thought the racing was ok last night, despite the one sided scoreline.

Exciting changes coming up.

... but surprisingly there were some good on track tussles

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Pretty much a no contest last night with the Newcastle team being woefully understrength... took me back to watching the Invaders in the mid 80's.

Both the twins really impressed with Joe being a bit more on the pace this week and both of them showing a real knack with the Leicester track.

Presentation was better this week with the riders leaving their helmets in the pits for the opening parade and although there was no victory lap at least the riders came out to the centre green for a chat to the fans... All they've got to do now is acknowledge that we're actually the reigning League Champions, wasn't mentioned once last night, perhaps some of the smoke that is blown up the special one's bottom every week could be spared for the club that won the championship. Maybe with the return of the 2019 skipper next week it may be the ideal opportunity to show the fans the trophy that they paid for the club to win?

Iain
I thought it was a decent meeting if I am honest .

I heard them mention twice the Paul Chapman & Son’s arena the home of the reigning league  champions .

As for the trophy it has been paraded , shown & shared with the fans. I can only assume you missed the meeting where they displayed & paraded the trophy the day after that fantastic evening in Glasgow ?

1 hour ago, Lenny Lion said:

Iain
I thought it was a decent meeting if I am honest .

I heard them mention twice the Paul Chapman & Son’s arena the home of the reigning league  champions .

As for the trophy it has been paraded , shown & shared with the fans. I can only assume you missed the meeting where they displayed & paraded the trophy the day after that fantastic evening in Glasgow ?

Lenny Lion,

Yeah, there were some good tussles on track but as a contest between 2 teams it was a non event really, you can only beat what is there though I suppose.

I must admit I don't hang on the announcer's every word, what I'm getting at is the fan experience, now I don't know if you're on the paid/volunteer staff but as a punter paying £17 you have to ask if you're made to feel as if you're watching something special. Because winning the Championship title is something special, double special if you're a Leicester fan I would say. Rather than it being mentioned by chance by the announcer where is the big banner on the entrance to the stadium "YOU ARE ENTERING THE LIONS DEN - LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!", where is the parade music, Queen - We Are The Champions... cliched I know, but it does what it says on the tin, so cliched it's not a cliche... Why isn't Ryan Douglas coming round on parade every week holding the trophy aloft?

As for the parading of the trophy... Are you referring to the cubs match the night after Glasgow? Now if I'm honest, I saw the lads get presented with the trophy at Glasgow as I was fortunate enough to be there, if you're really trying to suggest that showing and sharing with the Cubs fans a trophy that was won by the Leicester Lions is reward enough for the Lions fans... you're sounding a bit like a politician caught with his trousers down lol. Judging by the crowd numbers there are a lot of fans that don't attend both teams matches. Where is the opportunity to have your picture taken with the trophy? All of that costs nothing, except maybe the banner, which you could get sponsored. Where's the self promotion?

We seem to be ashamed that we won the damn thing!

Edited by iainb

Jesus it was 2 years ago now, no ones bothered, you got rid of your full team just about? Different season, different riders, different goal, should be concentrating on winning it again not getting riders to be showing off a trophy they didn’t win 

1 minute ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Jesus it was 2 years ago now, no ones bothered, you got rid of your full team just about? Different season, different riders, different goal, should be concentrating on winning it again not getting riders to be showing off a trophy they didn’t win 

Jealous! :rofl:

There speaks the fan of a team that has never won a professional league title :t:

Whilst I don't recall opportunities at the track being given to have your photo taken with the cup (probably because, after all, it was won right at the end of the season and then Covid buggered up the following season), the supporters club ran an informal darts night every Wednesday at the local pub throughout the winter (when regulations allowed it), and the cups were brought up to those events for everyone to have their photos taken holding them.  Hope that clarifies the situation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PowerfulPierre said:

Whilst I don't recall opportunities at the track being given to have your photo taken with the cup (probably because, after all, it was won right at the end of the season and then Covid buggered up the following season), the supporters club ran an informal darts night every Wednesday at the local pub throughout the winter (when regulations allowed it), and the cups were brought up to those events for everyone to have their photos taken holding them.  Hope that clarifies the situation.

OK... I get it,  you obviously have to be an insider to be allowed to enjoy the victory. What was the attendance at the darts nights? Many kids there? Any riders there?

I just don't get why the fans that go along every week to support the Leicester Lions and aren't members of the supporters club seem to be ignored. The trophy has been paraded in front of Cubs fans and darts fans lol

I'll shut up about it now... why would we want to try and attract anybody to come along and promote the team?

why would you try and encourage people to come along every week to watch a team try and win a competition that you then don't really celebrate when you do win.

Edited by iainb