British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Newcastle 26/06/21

Not your bad at all Iainb. Nothing to do with being an insider.  It's purely a social night (many of us that go are not darts players or members of the supporters club). I think that the cups were brought along purely because there was no other real way of getting a photo opportunity with them, as the season had ended. In addition to the darts evening, the cups were also available for photo opportunities at the end of season prize giving when all of the riders and promotion were there, happily mixing with everyone in attendance. They normally get about 40 - 50 or so people turn up every Wednesday at the darts, including friends who may not have any particular interest in speedway. It's just a great way to break the long winter closed season and I know that many of us missed it last year when regulations didn't allow it. A few kids are there, made welcome inside the pub and are encouraged to play. There is no elitism and if it runs this year (as I hope that it does), why not come along and join in? You'd be made very welcome!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PowerfulPierre said:

Not your bad at all Iainb. Nothing to do with being an insider.  It's purely a social night (many of us that go are not darts players or members of the supporters club). I think that the cups were brought along purely because there was no other real way of getting a photo opportunity with them, as the season had ended. In addition to the darts evening, the cups were also available for photo opportunities at the end of season prize giving when all of the riders and promotion were there, happily mixing with everyone in attendance. They normally get about 40 - 50 or so people turn up every Wednesday at the darts, including friends who may not have any particular interest in speedway. It's just a great way to break the long winter closed season and I know that many of us missed it last year when regulations didn't allow it. A few kids are there, made welcome inside the pub and are encouraged to play. There is no elitism and if it runs this year (as I hope that it does), why not come along and join in? You'd be made very welcome!

Sorry,  if I came across as a bit rude.  I feel quite strongly about it that's all. The promotion have been vocal about the crowd numbers and yet seem to do little to promote the success the club have achieved. 

Why would you not,  a lot of people are attracted by success,  the likes of me and you and probably most on here will turn up week after week,  win lose or draw. 

Look at the website... you really have to dig to see that we achieved anything. 

We should be cashing in on that success

Fair comment Iainb. I take your point fully concerning issues re promotion.  I belong to a byegone Leicester facebook group that often post old pictures of Blackbird Rd and am always surprised at the number of people that comment on how much they miss the speedway, oblivious to the fact that the Lions have now been roaring at Beaumont Park for many years! I'm not defending the lack of extra exposure of the cups to the supporters by the promotion, but maybe, the club have been exceptionally pre occupied with complying with all of the rules, regulations and restrictions set by the council to allow speedway to go ahead this year. W9, if you read any of this, any chance of a word with the gaffer to see if the cups can be brought down to Beaumont Park when restrictions are hopefully lifted at the end of next month, so that supporters can form an orderly queue to have their pics taken with them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PowerfulPierre said:

Fair comment Iainb. I take your point fully concerning issues re promotion.  I belong to a byegone Leicester facebook group that often post old pictures of Blackbird Rd and am always surprised at the number of people that comment on how much they miss the speedway, oblivious to the fact that the Lions have now been roaring at Beaumont Park for many years! I'm not defending the lack of extra exposure of the cups to the supporters by the promotion, but maybe, the club have been exceptionally pre occupied with complying with all of the rules, regulations and restrictions set by the council to allow speedway to go ahead this year. W9, if you read any of this, any chance of a word with the gaffer to see if the cups can be brought down to Beaumont Park when restrictions are hopefully lifted at the end of next month, so that supporters can form an orderly queue to have their pics taken with them?

Thanks for your comments, it's good to have a fair a reasonable debate and I totally take on board what you're saying about covid retrictions etc. Not knowing exactly what's going on behind the scenes I'm not fully aware of what the extra issues are with putting a match on. And I thank you for your invitation to club social events but I like many punters just want to pay my £17 have a good evenings entertainment watching my team win, lose or draw.

I make my comments on here and often seem to be stonewalled by seeming club "insiders" telling me that if I did want to see the league trophy paraded I should have gone to watch a cubs match, attended the end of season do or gone to a darts match and that because I didn't I've missed my chance and that the team that won that championship has been disbanded now so tough. I'm told that the riders didn't do a lap of victory after the Scunny match because they wanted to go home because they were at Newcastle the next day and it looked like it was going to rain... Come on! 

I've been following Leicester since the late 70's so I'm pretty hardened to being taking for granted by Speedway promotions by now, it's just that these things are easy wins at little or no cost and imo go a long way to building up a relationship and rapport with fans. If I'm honest, like I said I was at Glasgow on the night and have seen the trophy but I know the vast majority of fans probably haven't and it's not like we're habitual winners lol

I just want to see Leicester Speedway thrive and for the place to be packed with fans and for it to be around for many years to come

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iainb said:

es, I noticed that... was watching the grader going round during the interval and there wasn't much to grade... And I assume that the unholy noise coming from the grader was it scraping the base of the track. It's not been the same since Glyn Taylor went, whatever happened to him I wonder?

The track grading was laughable to be honest; I wasn’t clear what the strategy was? And yes I agree the noise on the back straight was indeed the track base scraping.

First meeting this season for us. Must say was a little disappointed when seeing the visiting team line up looking woefully weak. No surprise then by the Lions raced to a record home victory over 15 heats. Leaves you to wonder why 6 days earlier they actually failed to pick up a point in the away fixture !

Thought the racing was okay considering the opposition and was really impressed by the Thompsons especially Dan who seems to be hitting a good patch of form and making coming from behind at BP look easy. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fullmax said:

First meeting this season for us. Must say was a little disappointed when seeing the visiting team line up looking woefully weak. No surprise then by the Lions raced to a record home victory over 15 heats. Leaves you to wonder why 6 days earlier they actually failed to pick up a point in the away fixture !

Thought the racing was okay considering the opposition and was really impressed by the Thompsons especially Dan who seems to be hitting a good patch of form and making coming from behind at BP look easy. 

6 days earlier at Newcastle we deserved the points as proctor Morris & Douglas let Leicester down as they didn't fancy attacking the track & I was well impressed with the Thompson twins but not surprised after seeing them numerous times at Scunthorpe in amateurs 

15 hours ago, iainb said:

Thanks for your comments, it's good to have a fair a reasonable debate and I totally take on board what you're saying about covid retrictions etc. Not knowing exactly what's going on behind the scenes I'm not fully aware of what the extra issues are with putting a match on. And I thank you for your invitation to club social events but I like many punters just want to pay my £17 have a good evenings entertainment watching my team win, lose or draw.

I make my comments on here and often seem to be stonewalled by seeming club "insiders" telling me that if I did want to see the league trophy paraded I should have gone to watch a cubs match, attended the end of season do or gone to a darts match and that because I didn't I've missed my chance and that the team that won that championship has been disbanded now so tough. I'm told that the riders didn't do a lap of victory after the Scunny match because they wanted to go home because they were at Newcastle the next day and it looked like it was going to rain... Come on! 

I've been following Leicester since the late 70's so I'm pretty hardened to being taking for granted by Speedway promotions by now, it's just that these things are easy wins at little or no cost and imo go a long way to building up a relationship and rapport with fans. If I'm honest, like I said I was at Glasgow on the night and have seen the trophy but I know the vast majority of fans probably haven't and it's not like we're habitual winners lol

I just want to see Leicester Speedway thrive and for the place to be packed with fans and for it to be around for many years to come

Are the trophies still at Leicester?

36 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

Are the trophies still at Leicester?

Do they even still exist? Or have they gone the same way as The Golden Hammer? :rofl:

I was talking to someone last week & he was telling me he used to go to Blackbird Road & loved speedway. His next comment was "it's a real shame Leicester hasn't got a track now". He was amazed when i told him they did have one & it had been there for over a decade.

Sadly, speedway is the best kept secret in Leicester. It's never mentioned on either of the Midlands local news stations, or anywhere else for that matter, not even when we did the double in 2019.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liontamer said:

Sadly, speedway is the best kept secret in Leicester. It's never mentioned on either of the Midlands local news stations, or anywhere else for that matter, not even when we did the double in 2019.

Shhhhh! :nono:

• Haha 1

Got to say, I thought the attendance was good on Saturday night. Can’t be far short of the last season’s attendances?

57 minutes ago, Honey Monster said:

Got to say, I thought the attendance was good on Saturday night. Can’t be far short of the last season’s attendances?

I've thought the same for all of the matches I've been to this season,  so I was quite surprised when the promotion came out voicing their concerns at ticket numbers. As they don't publish attendance numbers I suppose we'll never know

Edited by iainb

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I've thought the same for all of the matches I've been to this season,  so I was quite surprised when the promotion came out voicing their concerns at ticket numbers. As they don't publish attendance numbers I suppose we'll never know

I thought the concern was regarding the Cubs fixtures attendances?