British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

Novelty match races

Hazy memories admittedly, but does anyone remember a character who called himself the Black Knight touring NL tracks in the late 80s to take on local juniors in match races? I have the name Jon White in mind. He'd be all decked out in black and would give out chocolate to fans. 

Also, at the other end of the scale, Hans Nielsen toured NL tracks taking on the local No1 in match races around a similar time... perhaps even early 90s?

Interested to see any results from these and any other novelty match races. :)

Jon Jon White was part of the Glasgow junior set up from late 1986 to 1989. He was always decked out in black with a tartan scarf. Even his machinery and van were black. His first appearance at Glasgow was in the Junior Grand Prix meeting in 1986 scoring an impressive 10 from 5. He was given a couple of outings for the junior side and was non-riding #8 for the senior side at Rye House. Ever friendly and determined to make it as a rider, this snippet from the Glasgow programme summed up his enthusiasm for the sport:

"Junior Jon Jon White travelled from his Lake District home to be our #8 at Rye House, did the big end of his van on the way, hired another, and all for a second half ride and the grand sum of a fiver for his troubles!"

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think a bad accident at King's Lynn in 1990 curtailed his racing career.

Hans Nielsen appeared at Shawfield in 1988 to take part in a series of match races - he easily defeated Shane Bowes, Steve Lawson and Kenny McKinna. A planned 4-rider race ended up as a match race after Bowes & McKinna piled up at the first corner leaving Hans to defeat Phil Jeffrey in what was then a new track record of 65.6.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, falcace said:

Hazy memories admittedly, but does anyone remember a character who called himself the Black Knight touring NL tracks in the late 80s to take on local juniors in match races? I have the name Jon White in mind. He'd be all decked out in black and would give out chocolate to fans. 

Also, at the other end of the scale, Hans Nielsen toured NL tracks taking on the local No1 in match races around a similar time... perhaps even early 90s?

Interested to see any results from these and any other novelty match races. :)

Hans was a real ambassador and visited several tracks. If I recall a visit to Berwick was postponed due to rain after he had made the journey only to return at a later date.