British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Newcastle Championship - Friday 15 April 2022 7.30pm

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

Is Poland really that big a problem though? In the past we've had Danny King, Robert Lambert, Richie & Stevie, Lewis Kerr but apart from Lambert now in Poland, the others haven't returned for various reasons and last season we tried for Batchelor and he wasn't riding Poland and Vissing didn't ride at all last year but Birmingham signed him so why couldn't we? Nicholls doesn't ride in Poland and he joined a team that's just been brought back no one knows how that will go so there's an element of risk attached to that. 

I can't imagine BWD and Congreve being cheap usually with Aussies or NZ they generally want air fair paid, plus a van, and somewhere to stay during the season. Now your'e not telling me if you tried to go for Nicholls for example if you dangled a few extra pounds in front of him or Harris yes he rides in France sometimes but I'm sure we could've worked around his schedule he has to pass Newcastle to get to Berwick!

Don't underestimate the problems you have of just getting riders based anywhere near the south of England to Ride for a Northern Club. Plymouth have the same problem the other way. the Geography isn't an easy one to overcome without £££, and that's getting worse now with fuel prices and more restrictive Van mileage impositions by rental companies. If you live in the South not only do you have a 6-8 hr drive to Newcastle, but the same return, a 600 mile round trip, but also all your fill in fixtures are often geographically based there, northern group this and that Tyne tees trophy etc etc. 

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

Just to say well done to the Glasgow riders. Everyone said it would be a comfortable win but they still had to go out and perform on the track and they did. Felt sorry for Paul Starke who had bike problems whilst Clegg, Wethers and Wright showed some fight and Complin will come good once he gets match fit, he's still got a thrilling way of riding. Felt the Newcastle manager could have used him better. Find a no.1 and add someone like Sedgmen and you'll become a lot more competitive. Well done to Glasgow, good crowd and hopefully all back for more on Friday. 

Seems to be a constant theme, you can't be unlucky every meeting 

2 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Is Poland really that big a problem though? In the past we've had Danny King, Robert Lambert, Richie & Stevie, Lewis Kerr but apart from Lambert now in Poland, the others haven't returned for various reasons and last season we tried for Batchelor and he wasn't riding Poland and Vissing didn't ride at all last year but Birmingham signed him so why couldn't we? Nicholls doesn't ride in Poland and he joined a team that's just been brought back no one knows how that will go so there's an element of risk attached to that. 

I can't imagine BWD and Congreve being cheap usually with Aussies or NZ they generally want air fair paid, plus a van, and somewhere to stay during the season. Now your'e not telling me if you tried to go for Nicholls for example if you dangled a few extra pounds in front of him or Harris yes he rides in France sometimes but I'm sure we could've worked around his schedule he has to pass Newcastle to get to Berwick!

You could ride in as many leagues in different countries as you liked then, you are limited now.

55 minutes ago, StevePark said:

You could ride in as many leagues in different countries as you liked then, you are limited now.

Yeah I get that, but the riders I named don't ride in Poland and probably not abroad at all, throw in the likes of Richard Lawson, Cook, Wells, Howarth, Barker, Wright and Ostergaard who we've previously had and there are plenty of riders there.

1 hour ago, wtf said:

Don't underestimate the problems you have of just getting riders based anywhere near the south of England to Ride for a Northern Club. Plymouth have the same problem the other way. the Geography isn't an easy one to overcome without £££, and that's getting worse now with fuel prices and more restrictive Van mileage impositions by rental companies. If you live in the South not only do you have a 6-8 hr drive to Newcastle, but the same return, a 600 mile round trip, but also all your fill in fixtures are often geographically based there, northern group this and that Tyne tees trophy etc etc. 

But if you look at it the same way Masters has done it for seasons travelling from the midlands to Scotland and back, Stevie Worrall has done it the last couple of seasons going to Poole and back and last season for us Barker who has also ridden for Berwick and Glasgow so riders will do it. 

2 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

But if you look at it the same way Masters has done it for seasons travelling from the midlands to Scotland and back, Stevie Worrall has done it the last couple of seasons going to Poole and back and last season for us Barker who has also ridden for Berwick and Glasgow so riders will do it. 

Danyon Hume be racking up the most miles in the league this season? Remember guy from the deep south travelling to Edinburgh every week for not many points. Gary Phelps maybe? But it has been difficult in the past to entice southern based riders to the northern outposts 

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

He was never half a lap behind in any race, except when his back wheel shifted and he still got a third place.. He couldn't gate, but was mainly on the pace towards the end. Archie had been asked to be No 7, but refused as he knew he wasn't ready. After all the other 7's were found to be useless Rob asked Archie to fill in for the rest of the season to get more experience and got a guarantee not to be dropped. The deal was get to that experience this year(2021) and be given a teamplace next year (2022).

Pity you spout rubbish on here all the time without checking for the truth. At Newcastle we all know Archie's potential, like also Edinburgh and his new team Belle Vue does..

Its not spouting rubbish he wasnt then and isnt now anywhere close to being ready for CL.. he wont be ready next year either unless he has a major up turn from somewhere!! He might have talent but stop trying to destroy a rider before hes ready 

• Like 4

3 away meetings against 3 top teams is never going to be a favourable start. The promotion highlighted at the start of the season that we would be competitive at home with home track advantage, which I still believe, and hopefully keeps the fans coming through the turnstiles. One thing I noticed at Ashfield on Friday was Connor Bailey still in his race suit going around the bar speaking to everyone and anyone. Absolutely first class fan engagement from the young lad. Does this happen at Brough? A bit of rider/fan engagement will probably go a long way right now.

3 minutes ago, Wardey said:

3 away meetings against 3 top teams is never going to be a favourable start. The promotion highlighted at the start of the season that we would be competitive at home with home track advantage, which I still believe, and hopefully keeps the fans coming through the turnstiles. One thing I noticed at Ashfield on Friday was Connor Bailey still in his race suit going around the bar speaking to everyone and anyone. Absolutely first class fan engagement from the young lad. Does this happen at Brough? A bit of rider/fan engagement will probably go a long way right now.

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Wardey said:

Connor is well liked at Glasgow. He's a decent young man, he's attracted lots of sponsors because he puts in the effort and clearly appreciates the support he has been given. He's also a brilliant young prospect with loads of ability. If he stays injury free, I'd say the sky's the limit and he'll ultimately make the GPs.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

That's twice I've seen Ben Morley and Jack Smith mentioned, but no one mentions Connor Coles, who is better than both imo, especially at Brough. Ben Morley is alright, but I don't rate Jack Smith at all... And it's still too early for Archie, but I know Dave has been involved with him since he was little, so of course he'll be a little bit biased...

If Justin Sedgmen is coming over, get him signed for George and start looking for someone to replace BWD. Even if it's something like Ondrej Smetana or a new 4.00 Dane (the Basso signing of 2022 possibly?) Something different please... George Congreve needs a season of second halves around the country I think, if he can afford it...

What's Josef Franc doing these days, I bet he'd still be a solid rider, and what happened to Christian Henry's comeback, was it just a few rides in Aussie just for fun, or something more?? Dare I mention Davey Watt? :rofl: Just to trigger the older fans...

Ludvig would be ideal if he was truly there the other night...

1. Ludvig Lindgren

2. Matthew Wethers

3. James Wright

4. Max Clegg

5. Paul Starke

6. Lee Complin

7. Justin Sedgmen/Ondrej Smetana

Doesn't William Lawson normally ride Newcastle well?

Could do a job at reserve although I think Newcastle's main concerns are further up the riding order i.e a number 1.

5 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Doesn't William Lawson normally ride Newcastle well?

Could do a job at reserve although I think Newcastle's main concerns are further up the riding order i.e a number 1.

He is an ex Newcastle rider, yes. But I'm not sure he's the rider he used to be... Also, I agree the problems are much further up, but still doesn't mean we can't upgrade the bottom end either... And no offence to George, he looks like he could be alright eventually, but we can't afford to carry loads of passengers this year...

On 4/16/2022 at 6:18 PM, Noelinho said:

Can't say I've ever noticed anyone else struggle with that. It's only a 20 second run at most and the top is in easy hollering distance. They just weren't interested.

Thanks for the comment in regards to ramp to pits distance

11 hours ago, bloom89 said:

I didn’t say no one would do it. I said it puts some off. It’s not for everyone. And those you mentioned are likely to be earning more than a 4 point reserve on £50 a point 

12 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Its not spouting rubbish he wasnt then and isnt now anywhere close to being ready for CL.. he wont be ready next year either unless he has a major up turn from somewhere!! He might have talent but stop trying to destroy a rider before hes ready 

Archie has bags of potential & talent but he must be allowed to progress at his own pace as if there's to much pressure put on him to perform he may ( hopefully he doesn't ) get sick & call it a day.. he had a tough 1 at in a challenge match at the home of the fen Tigers today but it's another learning curve for him 

• Like 1