British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Edinburgh SGB Championship KO Cup 1st Rnd 1st Leg Sun 17 Apr 5.30pm

31 minutes ago, Dicko said:

I know the diamonds got beat today but you can’t fault the effort by the lads, watching Pickering was value for money on its own but Max’s win over Masters and Pickering was just class, I accept we aren’t going to win many matches but I just like to see speedway at brough and the lads giving their all.

I second that, was a thoroughly enjoyable meeting with some good racing. An outside line and riders prepared to go there. Lee Complin was getting back to race pace tonight and was on for a further 5 points had bike issues not came into the equation. He came through the pack and was inside and outside to get through was brilliant to watch then his bike gave up the ghost on 2 occasions.

For all the negative folk out there to be honest I don’t think our lads did much wrong tonight, we didn’t get the points needed from no 1 and obviously George is still trying to find his feet. Was a match of circumstances tonight had Complins bikes not gave up he would have scored 8! And if you got 12 from a number 1 (which should at least be expected from home) it would have been a different story and that’s including a number 7 who’s trying to find his way in a new league! 

Only small negative on my end was the reserve swaps, swapping to give Congreve the easier race still didn’t return any points therefore worked against us, had Complin been left in I think would have returned some points (bike issues aside).

Some people need to give their heads a wobble, support the team, support you still have a club and only that way will we get back to what we’ve previously had! Our team and our lads didn’t do much wrong tonight and raced their guts out and even in defeat some of the best racing I’ve seen in 2 years at Brough Park tonight.

Edited by speedy19902006
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think he listens to advice.

It's been a bit of an embarrassment since he bought the club he might be a great businessman but some of his speedway decisions leave a lot to be desired, the managerial merry go round before last season and it also seems he's not the best at building speedway teams.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, speedy19902006 said:

I second that, was a thoroughly enjoyable meeting with some good racing. An outside line and riders prepared to go there. Lee Complin was getting back to race pace tonight and was on for 5 points had bike issues not came into the equation. He came through the pack and was inside and outside to get through was brilliant to watch then his bike gave up the ghost.

For all the negative folk out there to be honest I don’t think our lads did much wrong tonight, we didn’t get the points needed from no 1 and obviously George is still trying to find his feet. Was a match of circumstances tonight had Complins bikes not gave up he would have scored 8! And if you got 12 from a number 1 (which should at least be expected from home) it would have been a different story and that’s including a number 7 who’s trying to find his way in a new league! 

Only small negative on my end was the reserve swaps, swapping to give Congreve the easier race still didn’t return any points therefore worked against us, had Complin been left in I think would have returned some points (bike issues aside).

Some people need to give their heads a wobble, support the team, support you still have a club and only that way will we get back to what we’ve previously had! Our team and our lads didn’t do much wrong tonight and raced their guts out and even in defeat some of the best racing I’ve seen in 2 years at Brough Park tonight.

It's alright saying if we'd got 12 from Harris we didn't we got maybe what BWD would've got and if Complin hadn't retired he would've got 8 he didn't either. That's like saying if Clegg had made the gate 5 times he would've got a 15 point max... facts are he didn't. 

The simple fact is the team is just not good enough. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

It's alright saying if we'd got 12 from Harris we didn't we got maybe what BWD would've got and if Complin hadn't retired he would've got 8 he didn't either. That's like saying if Clegg had made the gate 5 times he would've got a 15 point max... facts are he didn't. 

We’re 3 home meetings in, and tonight being the first wheels spun in anger, we were on pace, and mixing it for the most part. People are shouting for change - the lads who ride and belong to Newcastle tonight done us proud and were great to watch. Apart from a few mechanical issues the Newcastle riders were spot on. Yes we need points from number 1 - we haven’t had that so far including tonight (on what should have been a strong guest), stick fire power on that team and it’s a totally different story. No wholesale change needed at all maybe a slight tweak and we’ll be tough to beat at home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Oh and for hypotheticals on what was my analysis of tonight,,, nothing more hypothetical about changing teams and riders and guessing what their mythical scores may be in future…

1 minute ago, speedy19902006 said:

We’re 3 home meetings in, and tonight being the first wheels spun in anger, we were on pace, and mixing it for the most part. People are shouting for change - the lads who ride and belong to Newcastle tonight done us proud and were great to watch. Apart from a few mechanical issues the Newcastle riders were spot on. Yes we need points from number 1 - we haven’t had that so far including tonight (on what should have been a strong guest), stick fire power on that team and it’s a totally different story. No wholesale change needed at all maybe a slight tweak and we’ll be tough to beat at home.

No one is really calling for a wholesale changes, most people agree that Max, James, Matty, Paul and Lee are good... It's the other two who need replacing. A little tweak, we need a new number 1 anyway... And to save money or raise money for a big hitting number 1, something from left field you know, bring in the much cheaper and better Ben Morley or even Archie (even though he's no where near ready) just to get a bit of top end firepower... George ain't scoring anything anyway...

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

Clearly the points limit needs reducing, to reduce the 'standard' of riders in this league, but pushing the goal post of rider standard together to allow the standard of the RACING to improve, I would watch 2 newbies racing eachother, as long as it was entertaining and close, passes, who remembers those? It will also allow enough riders for each team to build to the limit... Also, the race format desperately needs looking at. The 6s and 7s should not be racing against the 1s and 5s. The reserves challenging races should be against the other teams second strings at most... George Congreve vs Sam Masters is an insult to the public imo... I can't be the only one to think this, surely?

But these changes are all down to the powers of the sport... Who apparently have nothing to do with the embarrassing state of the sport these days

Should use the Elite League's "fast track" format, reserves didn't meet heat leaders in that!

1 minute ago, speedy19902006 said:

Trouble is that’s the Team that Granty thinks is OK.Nobody is criticising the effort the lads are putting in.BWD is never a No1. for starters.

• Like 2

Just now, szkocjasid said:

Should use the Elite League's "fast track" format, reserves didn't meet heat leaders in that!

Yes... I have a race format that I've put together where the races are much closer than they currently are. If I knew how to share it here I would, but there's a limit to what it allows me to send...

As pointed out, nobody is criticising any of the lads (even George, you can see he's giving it his all, he's just not ready yet) it's just the construction that is not good enough and ultimately that is down to not enough riders being available for the current rules in place... And no out of the box thinking, like Plymouth did last season...

Edited by Diamonds85

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Trouble is that’s the Team that Granty thinks is OK.Nobody is criticising the effort the lads are putting in.BWD is never a No1. for starters.

Didn’t Roy even say tonight on the mic they are searching everywhere they can to get a suitable number 1?…

Edited by speedy19902006

4 minutes ago, speedy19902006 said:

Didn’t Roy even say tonight on the mic they are searching everywhere they can to get a suitable number 1?…

We'll see... The things Rob Grant has promised in the past and not delivered on, I'll be the first to congratulate him though if he pulls a rabbit out of the hat, good luck to him. I hope he can find someone suitable...

56 minutes ago, speedy19902006 said:

No one is suggesting wholesale changes, Matty, James, Max & Paul and maybe Complin with a few more meetings should be fairly competitive at home but the fact is the team is too weak to carry 2 riders who've scored about 10 points between them in 4/5 meetings. 

37 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

Actions speak louder than words so we’ll see in the week ahead……however haven’t we heard this before 

The point is you can't just pull a Number 1 rider out of thin air who isn't committed to a Polish club and riding on a weekend. The following link might help you realise who might have been available without a permit and isn't tied up in Poland.  I can't think of anyone even before you think of cost.

Continental European Speedway Teams 2022: PGE Ekstraliga squads 2022

The annoying thing is that this was all foreseeable and avoidable at the point the rules for 2022 team building were set. But clubs are looking after their own interests rather than the bigger picture.  Interesting to see what the one match subscription figures were for last Friday night.

The BSPL talk about increasing income from streaming and increasing supply of riders but have done little to support it.

• Like 1