British Speedway Forum
Coraldon

Redcar v Leicester

A good match last, some great racing. Lions getting a point was the right result I think. Nick Morris is a true racer, as for his 'chat' with the ref, I see no problem with it, a stern word from the ref should have sufficed as a slap on the wrist. How many remember Geoff Pusey's visits to the refs box, climbing over the fence, stomping through the crowd, certainly got the crowd going. We need riders like Morris, racers who entertain. Both sides raced hard last night to make a great meeting.

Edited by redlead
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, redlead said:

A good match last, some great racing. Lions getting a point was the right result I think. Nick Morris is a true racer, as for his 'chat' with the ref, I see no problem with it, a stern word from the ref should have sufficed as a slap on the wrist. How many remember Geoff Pusey's visits to the refs box, climbing over the fence, stomping through the crowd, certainly got the crowd going. We need riders like Morris, racers who entertain. Both sides raced hard last night to make a great meeting.

I believe, Nick Morris was initially ejected from the meeting, for his starting gate actions, then reinstated after several phone calls

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I believe, Nick Morris was initially ejected from the meeting, for his starting gate actions, then reinstated after several phone calls

Then that's poor refereeing on two counts, ejecting him from the meeting for something that was relatively minor, and secondly for  being talked into changing his mind.

Edited by redlead
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, redlead said:

Then that's poor refereeing on two counts, ejecting him from the meeting for something that was relatively minor, and secondly for  being talked into changing his mind.

Three when you count the decision that sparked the incident.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

In your opinion of course.

Yes - an opinion based on my own eyes (from a perfect position to see who crossed the line first). Saying it as I saw it, as I always do and try to be fair to both teams.

Everyone around me actually laughed when the result was announced.

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Yes - an opinion based on my own eyes (from a perfect position to see who crossed the line first). Saying it as I saw it, as I always do and try to be fair to both teams.

Everyone around me actually laughed when the result was announced.

That would be from your position about a 100 yards away on the back straight. 

39 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

That would be from your position about a 100 yards away on the back straight. 

Yes that’s the one. Directly in line with the start and finish line. 

72.18 yards away according to google maps. :)

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yearbyred said:

Yes that’s the one. Directly in line with the start and finish line. 

72.18 yards away according to google maps. :)

If its such a good view, then I suggest, we put the refs box there.

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Good idea. Might stop them making rubbish decisions.

But I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I presume that view doesnt have a fence blocking the finish line, like some fences do at tracks...?

With sometimes the wheels not visible depending on how near they are to the fence as they cross the line, meaning the refs give their "best guess" result based on the riders crossing the line, not their bikes..

Sometimes being directly opposite the finish line with nothing blocking the view can be far more accurate.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I presume that view doesnt have a fence blocking the finish line, like some fences do at tracks...?

With sometimes the wheels not visible depending on how near they are to the fence as they cross the line, meaning the refs give their "best guess" result based on the riders crossing the line, not their bikes..

Sometimes being directly opposite the finish line with nothing blocking the view can be far more accurate.. 

Aye, if ye can see that far!

• Haha 1

Just now, ruffdiamond said:

Aye, if ye can see that far!

Should maybe have someone on the centre green in line with the tapes? 

Let the ref have the panoramic view for the incidents and the person on the centre green give the 51/49 verdicts...

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Should maybe have someone on the centre green in line with the tapes? 

Let the ref have the panoramic view for the incidents and the person on the centre green give the 51/49 verdicts...

Yeah, as long as he stays in a fixed position, looking at the start/finish line,,, otherwise he might get dizzy and fall over.

Just now, ruffdiamond said:

Yeah, as long as he stays in a fixed position, looking at the start/finish line,,, otherwise he might get dizzy and fall over.

Cycle speedway do it well...

And they have to spin around and ref the whole race...

Not seen one throw up yet...:D

• Haha 1