British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Sheffield -V- Wolves Thursday 4th aug OFF

I agree, totally shambolic.

How could the promotion  possibly let the stadium owners do work on the stadium that they own and that had nothing to do with the speedway track and, despite not being involved in any way, fail to prevent the workman, who they had no control over, from damaging the track fence, thereby harming their own business. Disgusting behaviour.

10 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It's always someone else's fault!! :rofl:

Bottom line is the buck stops with the promotion for a series of shambolic incidents

Let's hope that the saying that things come in 3s is true and no more are to follow :P

It’s not Sheffield speedway’s fault that there was work to be canaries out on the dog track. But the stock cars were aware month’s ago and moved there big world semi finals to Bradford. This meeting should have changed ages ago and not wait till nearly race day - that is the promotion’s fault 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dill said:

It’s not Sheffield speedway’s fault that there was work to be canaries out on the dog track. But the stock cars were aware month’s ago and moved there big world semi finals to Bradford. This meeting should have changed ages ago and not wait till nearly race day - that is the promotion’s fault 

Hit nail on head. 

stock cars diddnt take the risk. They find a solution to a worst case scenario. 

in speedway, as shown Monday in British final. As shown with sheffields air bag fiasco. It’s we will cross that bridge when we get to it. And when they get to it they haven’t got a clue. It’s the fans that suffer. And they don’t care. 

there’s only ever a plan A

• Like 2

Most on here are such speedway experts and laying the blame for everything thing has gone wrong lately firmly at the feet of the Sheffield promotion but its hardly there fault when there told they have access to the track to prepare for the meeting and find that there is damage done by others that prevents them  from doing just that.

The starting tape problem was frustrating but again was it the promotions fault when it was tested before the meeting (I asked that question) but when the referee got hold of the buttons it all goes wrong. Over the years how many of us have witnessed the tapes packing up part way through a meeting? It happens get over it.

The air bag problem again frustrating but it happens, I'm sure if Danny King had busted any other air bag other than the one covering the gate the problem wouldn't have been so great but it was and again rubbish happens get over it. Maybe you would have been happier  if the track staff left the bag off put a couple of strips of hazard tape across the gap and told the riders to avoid that section of the fence if they find themselves in trouble on the track and just get on with the meeting?  

The bottom line is all you so called experts here really know sweet FA and just  enjoy knocking the promotion (any promotion) for the sake of it. If god forbid a rider got seriously injured or worse due to a faulty safety fence post or wrongly fitted air bag then yes the promotion would be responsible hence the reason they want everything done correctly even if its time consuming.

We all have a moan about a club or promotion at times and sometimes they deserve it but a lot of you on here are blaming and moaning for the sake of it and I'm afraid the sound you are all making is coming out your rear orifice.

Rant over.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Hit nail on head. 

stock cars diddnt take the risk. They find a solution to a worst case scenario. 

in speedway, as shown Monday in British final. As shown with sheffields air bag fiasco. It’s we will cross that bridge when we get to it. And when they get to it they haven’t got a clue. It’s the fans that suffer. And they don’t care. 

there’s only ever a plan A

Makes you wonder what goes on in the heads of those in charge. Dodgy air bags, knackered starting tapes, broken fence posts.... whatever next?... a plague of frogs?

Of course, it's NEVER their fault. Sheffield's woes are down to ill fortune on a biblical scale. They must have committed some really heinous offence in the past that has really upset the Almighty!

Let's put this in perspective. If my daughter was getting married on Saturday morning and British Gas turned up the week before and dug an enormous hole on the path outside my house, there would be no question of my daughter having to climb into the limo wearing her wedding dress and wellingtons. Even if it meant me staying out all Friday night with a shovel, that hole would be filled in and the pathway cleared. Some things are just too important to leave to chance. So how important is a Thursday night speedway event in Sheffield? Clearly, their solution is to cancel the wedding. Tells you a lot.

Sheffield Speedway has a duty of care to its customers, employees, contractors and stakeholders and should be moving heaven and earth to protect its interests. So I just don't believe this "we were given our first access back into the stadium today (Wednesday)" statement; the Speedway Office is inside the stadium - they should have been out there checking for damage every hour of every day and insisting the contractors don't leave until everything is ship shape long before Thursday night.

I'm afraid three major disruptions on the trot shows that somebody is just not up to the job.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tonyd said:

The way I understand this is that the work on the greyhound track finished last night and the speedway had access from today and they found several safety fence posts damaged and needing work / replacing. This gives them less than 48 hours before tomorrows match to find a contractor to possibly break out the posts, concrete in new ones, allow the concrete to cure / harden and then re-hang the safety fence and possible have to have a track inspection of the works carried out before they can race.

I am no track expert but I have worked in construction and to get a contractor, get all that work done and signed off  in under 48 hours is a tall order which I think the management realise hence the early call off. Give the management team a break I'm sure they want to lose a race day even less than we do, especially for rectification a problem that is no fault of there's.

We watched them try to fix an airbag which took an hour or so. Maybe they'll have the fence fixed by end of next season :D

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, tonyd said:

Most on here are such speedway experts and laying the blame for everything thing has gone wrong lately firmly at the feet of the Sheffield promotion but its hardly there fault when there told they have access to the track to prepare for the meeting and find that there is damage done by others that prevents them  from doing just that.

The starting tape problem was frustrating but again was it the promotions fault when it was tested before the meeting (I asked that question) but when the referee got hold of the buttons it all goes wrong. Over the years how many of us have witnessed the tapes packing up part way through a meeting? It happens get over it.

The air bag problem again frustrating but it happens, I'm sure if Danny King had busted any other air bag other than the one covering the gate the problem wouldn't have been so great but it was and again rubbish happens get over it. Maybe you would have been happier  if the track staff left the bag off put a couple of strips of hazard tape across the gap and told the riders to avoid that section of the fence if they find themselves in trouble on the track and just get on with the meeting?  

The bottom line is all you so called experts here really know sweet FA and just  enjoy knocking the promotion (any promotion) for the sake of it. If god forbid a rider got seriously injured or worse due to a faulty safety fence post or wrongly fitted air bag then yes the promotion would be responsible hence the reason they want everything done correctly even if its time consuming.

We all have a moan about a club or promotion at times and sometimes they deserve it but a lot of you on here are blaming and moaning for the sake of it and I'm afraid the sound you are all making is coming out your rear orifice.

Rant over.  

The tapes have been faulty for years 

17 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Not the point I was making. If you travel from further afield you often need to book trains to get best deal and book hotels. Hotels can be cancelled but trains rather more tricky.

Agree with that, but this is speedway, we booked to see Sheffield at Edinburgh a few seasons ago, only for it to be postponed and they rode against Glasgow instead, still had a good weekend however, it isn't only Sheffield who do this

So perhaps all travelling supporters need to be wary, no matter where are booking for

12 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It's always someone else's fault!! :rofl:

Bottom line is the buck stops with the promotion for a series of shambolic incidents

Let's hope that the saying that things come in 3s is true and no more are to follow :P

How can the buck stop with the promotion, it wasn't their fault the work overran and then damaged the fence posts as well

Its like saying it was Belle Vues fault Monday was rained off, they knew the rain was forecast, so should they have started an hour earlier and got the meeting finished, after all the buck stops with the promotion no matter what the fault is

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dill said:

Yes we should have ran the meeting at Scunthorpe, problem solved

they were assured the work would be completed, it was, but no one expected the damaged fence posts, and why should you

49 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Makes you wonder what goes on in the heads of those in charge. Dodgy air bags, knackered starting tapes, broken fence posts.... whatever next?... a plague of frogs?

Of course, it's NEVER their fault. Sheffield's woes are down to ill fortune on a biblical scale. They must have committed some really heinous offence in the past that has really upset the Almighty!

Let's put this in perspective. If my daughter was getting married on Saturday morning and British Gas turned up the week before and dug an enormous hole on the path outside my house, there would be no question of my daughter having to climb into the limo wearing her wedding dress and wellingtons. Even if it meant me staying out all Friday night with a shovel, that hole would be filled in and the pathway cleared. Some things are just too important to leave to chance. So how important is a Thursday night speedway event in Sheffield? Clearly, their solution is to cancel the wedding. Tells you a lot.

Sheffield Speedway has a duty of care to its customers, employees, contractors and stakeholders and should be moving heaven and earth to protect its interests. So I just don't believe this "we were given our first access back into the stadium today (Wednesday)" statement; the Speedway Office is inside the stadium - they should have been out there checking for damage every hour of every day and insisting the contractors don't leave until everything is ship shape long before Thursday night.

I'm afraid three major disruptions on the trot shows that somebody is just not up to the job.

So we should have had a construction team on standby, in case any unforeseen matters occurred, they they could have worked all Tuesday night, sure the local residents would have loved the noise, and if filled in a hole dug by a utilities company you would be in serious trouble, as well as the potential danger

2 hours ago, tonyd said:

Rant over.  

People just post on here with no facts to back up their story. Doom merchants. Our track staff have a ridiculous small amount of track time to prep it. Mondays and Thursdays there is dog racing in the daytime along with the night meetings   To excavate and replace fence post takes time plus time for concrete to cure. It’s not just putting a garden fence up   These lads will hit the fence at 50 -60 mph so it’s going to have to be passed fit before track can be used. I can’t understand why Belle Vue and Ipswich fans are getting wound up about it as it doesn’t concern them. How many wolves fans have come on here moaning ? 

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

British Gas would never come and dig up your path as the gas company is Cadent gas. British Gas only do internal work. If cadent dug up your path they have got to make sure you have access to your property so would cover it with a board   We do have a speedway office at the track but I’m not sure it is manned every day. Non of the promotion are from Sheffield and have other work.