British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Likewise for checking engines. A ride with a suspected 'big' engine tends to be tested more by careful selection. I think it still gets out and the rider puts another engine in that conforms. A well known rider at the top of his game reputed to be riding a big engine. Sure enough he was selected, but he just smirked his way throughout the examination. I suggest his club tipped him off. Our rider that was chosen was Dickie Juul. He knew why the other rider was suspected but as he claimed, why should it cost me £400 to put my engine back together when I only get £50 as the rules dictated. I must admit for the first time I agreed with him.

After a meeting at hull back in the 90s I along with Martin Dixon and I think the other may have been David Walsh got engine checked, this was the year when they made you drill a hole from barrel to cases so as they could put a clip through so that you couldn’t take the head off without breaking the clip, we were told after heat 10 I think, I had only scored a couple of points but I got the feeling at the time that they weren’t after me but it had to appear random, anyway I think we were all ok as nobody got banned

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

So correct me if I'm wrong,  Mr Barker failed a drink or drugs test before a meeting                   (a sample)then was seen driving away from the stadium before heat 1, and then has to wait for further tests (b sample) which he also failed.  Who let him DRIVE AWAY before heat 1?

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Likewise for checking engines. A ride with a suspected 'big' engine tends to be tested more by careful selection. I think it still gets out and the rider puts another engine in that conforms. A well known rider at the top of his game reputed to be riding a big engine. Sure enough he was selected, but he just smirked his way throughout the examination. I suggest his club tipped him off. Our rider that was chosen was Dickie Juul. He knew why the other rider was suspected but as he claimed, why should it cost me £400 to put my engine back together when I only get £50 as the rules dictated. I must admit for the first time I agreed with him.

Wilson?

1 hour ago, Petecc said:

So correct me if I'm wrong,  Mr Barker failed a drink or drugs test before a meeting                   (a sample)then was seen driving away from the stadium before heat 1, and then has to wait for further tests (b sample) which he also failed.  Who let him DRIVE AWAY before heat 1?

At the track we were under the impression that he had been driven to and from the track. May not be the case there were several rumours in the night but this seemed to be one that didn’t change as the night progressed.

5 hours ago, Debbi said:

At the track we were under the impression that he had been driven to and from the track. May not be the case there were several rumours in the night but this seemed to be one that didn’t change as the night progressed.

I think there was a post at the time that said he had been driven away and that he had his head in his hands.

9 hours ago, Pinny said:

Wilson?

No. But he was in a van not a Carr. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At Belle Vue one night, a member of a very famous family, was caught using a big carb, it was taken off the bike, but returned to him after the meeting finished, absolute joke.

10 hours ago, Petecc said:

Are alcohol/drug limits in speedway lower than those for driving?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sotonian said:

Yes.  Alcohol is zero.   Not sure how various drugs are checked, as some are in your body all the time naturally, but it is again the equivilent if a zero.

6 hours ago, Sotonian said:

Yes.  Alcohol is zero.   Not sure how various drugs are checked, as some are in your body all the time naturally, but it is again the equivilent of a zero.

Edited by crescent girl

18 hours ago, Petecc said:

Wasn't driving