British Speedway Forum

Sad to see our long time Barry ( in the box ) Wallace on look north tonight talking about the end of a era at Newcastle.. 

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Sad to see our long time Barry ( in the box ) Wallace on look north tonight talking about the end of a era at Newcastle.. 

Just not enough desire for it, to warrant its survival? :(

• Like 1

I came to a couple at Newcastle and i found the place quite friendly so I feel for all the fans also I have never seen so many food vans in one place it was like a food convention , hope you all get the chance to shout for your team again

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001b22h/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-evening-news-09082022

21 minutes in.

Nice shot of Joe Owen in there (winning of course).

Edited by Bear_Bottom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

I thought Barry had passed away when I seen sad to see.Pleased it was not,I once gave him a lift to the silverlink once to save his wife picking him up from brough as was going that way.

Nice piece shame its gone,barry done a good job at derwentpark for a couple of seasons hope he gets the chance to carry somewhere else!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Nice piece shame its gone,barry done a good job at derwentpark for a couple of seasons hope he gets the chance to carry somewhere else!

That would be after Michael Max I suppose ?

Barry is one of only 4 announcers  to be the voice at Newcastle Speedway, an earlier one was Maurice Morley.

15 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Barry is one of only 4 announcers  to be the voice at Newcastle Speedway, an earlier one was Maurice Morley.

Barry and Bernard Gent were/ are excellent. It was only when you travelled down country and heard others you realised just how good they were.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

No he done the first 2 seasons when they returned in 1999.

• Thanks 1

Just now, geoff100 said:

Am sure he was the voice at " st james park " aswell.?

He was at St James Park for awhile working alongside Alan Robson of "Night Owl, Fame from Metro Radio. Something happened with Alan, and Barry was then dropped as well with a new presenter coming in.

6 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

No he done the first 2 seasons when they returned in 1999.

Yes thanks, got it the wrong way around. Barry at Worky was better in the box, as he didn't seen to have the same confidence when out with the mic on the centre green.

I've known Barry since his first stint in the 60 's at Newcastle, and played Darts with him for many years in the 60's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

He was at St James Park for awhile working alongside Alan Robson of "Night Owl, Fame from Metro Radio. Something happened with Alan, and Barry was then dropped as well with a new presenter coming in.

Was it not a attempt to have a sporting club like they do in Barcelona with Speedway,Basketball and Ice Hockey and a few other teams involved.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

The infamous "Shearer hat-trick" if I recall.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Yes thanks, got it the wrong way around. Barry at Worky was better in the box, as he didn't seen to have the same confidence when out with the mic on the centre green.

I've known Barry since his first stint in the 60 's at Newcastle, and played Darts with him for many years in the 60's.

Barry also done Berrington Lough when us Bandits raced there

• Like 1