British Speedway Forum
Kryten

Stuart Bamforth

Been on the forum for many years (mostly reading) but not seen much about this guy. He was in charge of the Aces in my early years (and I believe chairman of whatever was the governing body in the 80s for a time). Many people blame him for the loss of Hyde Road, I did at the time but I was only 11. But sadly Hyde Road was a relic of the past and would have become a H&S nightmare that would have gone anyway within a few years. He threw money at the Aces in the 80s (not always in the right direction but his intentions were good). I’d like to hear other peoples opinions 

• Like 1

He was not popular at Oxford when Belle Vue visited in 1985 for a Knock-Out Cup match when he put in a last minute protest regarding Oxford's intended use of Melvyn Taylor (own asset) in place of the still absent Klaus Lausch. It was a question of hats as Bamforth was then Chairman of the BSPA and would have known beforehand the issue but chose to wait just before the commencment of the meeting when wearing his Team Manager's hat put in a protest. Okay Oxford should have got the paperwork sorted but it rankled that he was playing one position of office against the other and Bernard Crapper after the meeting (won by the "Cheetahs" incidently) had some very strong words to say over the public address system and no doubt got fined in the process...as he often did!

Edited by steve roberts

Stuart Bamforth was astute Businessman with an eye for a bargain and longer term profit. This was the case when he purchased Belle Vue speedway and the Hyde Road stadium in 1982 relatively cheaply.

He knew the land would be valuable but in fairness he also knew that the speedway could move to the greyhound Stadium down the road.

That said he put his money where his mouth was in buying the stadium when it looked on a downward spiral, ran one of the best promotions at the time and was a solid Chairman of the BSPA. 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, DazS said:

he was a down to earth millionaire, not many of them about.

Certainly there was a clash of personalities when he acquired Hyde Road which led to Eric Boocock resigning his post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DazS said:

which give other riders a chance to get second half rides.

Sorry I don't understand?

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Certainly there was a clash of personalities when he acquired Hyde Road which led to Eric Boocock resigning his post.

Both Boocock and Bamforth were feisty, in your face characters who both said what they thought regardless of whether the opinion was rude or not and liked to have their own way so the chances of them two not clashing were minimal at best! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

Both Boocock and Bamforth were feisty, in your face characters who both said what they thought regardless of whether the opinion was rude or not and liked to have their own way so the chances of them two not clashing were minimal at best! 

Interesting observations made by Eric Boocock in his autobiography regarding Bamforth...the spilling of coffee over Eric's programme notes without any regard or apology for example.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, DazS said:

which give other riders a chance to get second half rides.

Are you Daz Sumner who used to ride in the odd second half at Hyde Rd?

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Are you Daz Sumner who used to ride in the odd second half at Hyde Rd?

...would be interesting to know? He rode for Oxford during the Nielsen years.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, steve roberts said:

Sorry I don't understand?

heres where Bamforth  business brain kicked in, only those with fastest times in the training schools got in the second half's.

• Thanks 1

older than him,, but did ride against him when i left the colts and went to Halifax.

4 hours ago, DazS said:

older than him,, but did ride against him when i left the colts and went to Halifax.

Now I'm intrigued! One of the Clegg brothers? David Clay? Trying to think which of the colts I subsequently saw at the Shay. 

well done good memory, its Garry clegg. now bloody 62 years old. And still enjoying my speedway. I thought i might have been remembered for all the tracks that closed down after i rode for them,:rofl:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2