British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernComet

Weymouth Update?

So what had happened, Dean? And a couple of years ago, before Covid, the people who ran the Weymouth SDL team (and still do - one was the father of Ben Trigger, IIRC) were saying that they had found a site for a new track, and were just trying to find funding for it. What happened about that?

I met them when I took a rider to ride for them in 2017 - with a bike which Dean bought afterwards!

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

So what had happened, Dean? And a couple of years ago, before Covid, the people who ran the Weymouth SDL team (and still do - one was the father of Ben Trigger, IIRC) were saying that they had found a site for a new track, and were just trying to find funding for it. What happened about that?

I met them when I took a rider to ride for them in 2017 - with a bike which Dean bought afterwards!

I don’t know what happened to finding a new track or anyone involved now but the previous promoter and his girlfriend  basically didn’t pay the bills or the land owner who I believe is a builder , I rode for Weymouth under Brian white and I did lots of open meetings in the last season under the guy who took over from Brian ,the last few meeting riders including myself were asking to get paid on the night of meetings as rumours were rife about his team not being paid, not sure if they ever got paid , the girlfriend of the promoter was a previous girlfriend of a rider who had his bike stolen in suspicious circumstances, I was involved in the investigation as I was offered the bike for sale and recognised it and contacted the rider and the police ,I believe there were a few people, sponsors etc who would of took the track on but the builder wouldn’t do it, he flattened the track and used the pits to store his building equipment  

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

On 9/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I don’t know what happened to finding a new track or anyone involved now but the previous promoter and his girlfriend  basically didn’t pay the bills or the land owner who I believe is a builder , I rode for Weymouth under Brian white and I did lots of open meetings in the last season under the guy who took over from Brian ,the last few meeting riders including myself were asking to get paid on the night of meetings as rumours were rife about his team not being paid, not sure if they ever got paid , the girlfriend of the promoter was a previous girlfriend of a rider who had his bike stolen in suspicious circumstances, I was involved in the investigation as I was offered the bike for sale and recognised it and contacted the rider and the police ,I believe there were a few people, sponsors etc who would of took the track on but the builder wouldn’t do it, he flattened the track and used the pits to store his building equipment  

There have been so many neferious (in other words, w*****s) promoting/running speedway over the years! 

3 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

There have been so many neferious (in other words, w*****s) promoting/running speedway over the years! 

Yes but to be fair there have been some really good ones too and some who’s heart was in the right place but maybe their brain wasn’t or the were literally doing it on a shoe string for the love of it, there are also some still in the sport who are like vultures circling a Caracas when there is a whiff of financial trouble 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:53 AM, *JJ said:

Martin Peters (his son Sam rides dev league) and James Tresadern have been running the Weymouth set up since 2016. Not sure what happened to that land, maybe they jumped the gun announcing it. I do know they have tried to get it back to the last venue but theres no chance. As far as I know they are still looking but I suspect that the early fervent determination has turned into a realisation that they could be looking for a very long time

Edited by skydog
Name wrong