British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

2 hours ago, Gasser90 said:

The only hope is that the new developers of the showground  set up a meeting with the club in the summer when they officially get the keys to the show ground as such, maybe if they start building down the bottom corner they can keep the track for another year if the club pay them some rent or something ? 

what I don’t understand is why dhl inside track have just got a 5 year lease to store cars on the showground, surely if your going to develop the site into what the plans look like you don’t what hundreds of cars being stored there ? 

They only submitted a planning application last week, they’ll be lucky to sink a brick in the ground before 2028, if at all.

30 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

They only submitted a planning application last week, they’ll be lucky to sink a brick in the ground before 2028, if at all.

And that's why I can't understand why the club is not making more of a fuss, unless it is behind the scenes of course?

The council doesn't have to spend anything but it should be ensuring that it's own local plan is adhered to. One last time as I'm fed up of posting this:

Policy LP30: Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities (Existing Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities)

The loss, via redevelopment, of an existing culture, leisure, tourism or community facility will only be permitted if it is demonstrated that:

k. The facility is demonstrably no longer fit for purpose and the site is not viable to be
redeveloped for a new community facility;  - which it is

l. The service provided by the facility is met by alternative provision that exists within
reasonable proximity: what is deemed as reasonable proximity will depend on the nature
of the facility and its associated catchment area; - is Kings Lynn or Leicester alternative and reasonable?

m. The proposal includes the provision of a new facility of a similar nature and of a similar or
greater size in a suitable on or off-site location. - it doesn't unless AEPG have included it in their application? So they should pay for the land and construction?

Looking at the report on the public meeting last night regarding the DHL situation, AEPG will need taking to task. Hopefully there are some councillors with bottle: "By the end of the three-hour meeting on (April 17) many residents were left disappointed by the response of the Showground operator AEPG (Asset Earning Power Group) to their concerns."

"And both sides understand the strength of the other’s opposing position. But their overall attitude suggests they will just push on with this regardless and they are not interested in residents’ feelings." - which doesn't sound positive for us?

Cllr Stevenson said: “I fear that residents will be less interested in giving up their time for future meetings given how poorly this one was managed.

"At one point AEPG asked residents not to discuss matters on social media, which shows a lack of understanding of the world we now live in.

Edited by Crump99

4 hours ago, TTT said:

Agree.

Just got to hire out a few of those Just Stop Oil Actors and put them in #BusterOUT / #TomalinIN T-Shirts for the evening and give them specific instructions to glue themselves to the starting gate in a show of support for Michael Tomalin.

That'll get a reaction out of Buster...........Just kidding ;)

It would.You would be closed asap :)

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

And that's why I can't understand why the club is not making more of a fuss, unless it is behind the scenes of course?

The council doesn't have to spend anything but it should be ensuring that it's own local plan is adhered to. One last time as I'm fed up of posting this:

Policy LP30: Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities (Existing Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities)

The loss, via redevelopment, of an existing culture, leisure, tourism or community facility will only be permitted if it is demonstrated that:

k. The facility is demonstrably no longer fit for purpose and the site is not viable to be
redeveloped for a new community facility;  - which it is

l. The service provided by the facility is met by alternative provision that exists within
reasonable proximity: what is deemed as reasonable proximity will depend on the nature
of the facility and its associated catchment area; - is Kings Lynn or Leicester alternative and reasonable?

m. The proposal includes the provision of a new facility of a similar nature and of a similar or
greater size in a suitable on or off-site location. - it doesn't unless AEPG have included it in their application? So they should pay for the land and construction?

Looking at the report on the public meeting last night regarding the DHL situation, AEPG will need taking to task. Hopefully there are some councillors with bottle: "By the end of the three-hour meeting on (April 17) many residents were left disappointed by the response of the Showground operator AEPG (Asset Earning Power Group) to their concerns."

"And both sides understand the strength of the other’s opposing position. But their overall attitude suggests they will just push on with this regardless and they are not interested in residents’ feelings." - which doesn't sound positive for us?

Cllr Stevenson said: “I fear that residents will be less interested in giving up their time for future meetings given how poorly this one was managed.

"At one point AEPG asked residents not to discuss matters on social media, which shows a lack of understanding of the world we now live in.

The cynic in me wasn’t surprised the meeting took place at the same time as Panthers were flopping against Belle Vue. AEPG have for over a year now portrayed this mantra that it’s all a done deal, the majority of local residents didn’t even realise that a planning application had not been submitted until last week. The underhand DHL storage deal for which AEPG have now submitted a retrospective planning application has stirred the residents, they are not happy with the increased traffic movements and they are now beginning to take more notice.

It’s worth noting that the Haddon development which is about the same size as the Showground has only now started to be developed many years after the planning application was submitted.

FWIW I thought AEPGs plans were fanciful and when I first saw them I thought to myself there was no chance of them succeeding and I’ve seen nothing since to change my mind.

Why do they want to end the Speedway and every other event? It’s obvious really, they want it to become a desert wasteland full of cars and vans, that becomes an eyesore and so they hope the council will eventually approve the plans to develop it. All depends how big the councils balls are I guess.

Edited by Mick Bratley
  • Like 4

Panthers feel they could ride at the showground for another 2 years but need a new lease from new owners who takeover in July 

10 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

The cynic in me wasn’t surprised the meeting took place at the same time as Panthers were flopping against Belle Vue. AEPG have for over a year now portrayed this mantra that it’s all a done deal, the majority of local residents didn’t even realise that a planning application had not been submitted until last week. The underhand DHL storage deal for which AEPG have now submitted a retrospective planning application has stirred the residents, they are not happy with the increased traffic movements and they are now beginning to stir.

It’s worth noting that the Haddon development which is about the same size as the Showground has only now started to be developed many years after the planning application was submitted.

FWIW I thought AEPGs plans were fanciful and when I first saw them I thought to myself there was no chance of them succeeding and I’ve seen nothing since to change my mind.

Why do they want to end the Speedway and every other event? It’s obvious really, they want it to become a desert wasteland full of cars and vans, that becomes an eyesore and so they hope the council will eventually 9approve the plans to develop it. All depends how big the councils balls are I guess.

Who is putting the cars and vans on the site.Anything to do with MT?

Edited by Bald Bloke

2 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

The cynic in me wasn’t surprised the meeting took place at the same time as Panthers were flopping against Belle Vue. AEPG have for over a year now portrayed this mantra that it’s all a done deal, the majority of local residents didn’t even realise that a planning application had not been submitted until last week. The underhand DHL storage deal for which AEPG have now submitted a retrospective planning application has stirred the residents, they are not happy with the increased traffic movements and they are now beginning to stir.

Why do they want to end the Speedway and every other event? It’s obvious really, they want it to become a desert wasteland full of cars and vans, that becomes an eyesore and so they hope the council will eventually approve the plans to develop it. All depends how big the councils balls are I guess.

I thought exactly the same when I read that.

I know my local councillor well so will bend his ear. It's out of his patch but the citywide plan isn't so I'll ask some questions and he can liaise with the local lot. The local plan is reviewed after 5 years (& every 5 years thereafter) so it may change then. I don't think that hope is lost for 2024 unless Buster agreed to something when he took the club over. He only gave us a couple of years at that time.

9 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Panthers feel they could ride at the showground for another 2 years but need a new lease from new owners who takeover in July 

The new owners are AEPG but are actually only custodians for the Agricultural Society. My understanding is that they won’t actually pay for the Showground until development begins. Of course Panthers could ride there for a number of years until the track is swallowed up, but that, I believe is not what AEPG want. I engaged with the CEO at an open day earlier this year (he had no idea who I was) and I slowly turned the conversation to Speedway, it was clear he didn’t want it, he even said the rent for the Speedway was a peppercorn rent per meeting (it isn’t) and that he should be charging 10 times more per meeting (that would make the rent circa £20k per meeting)! He’s either a very shrewd businessman or he’s away with the fairies. I’m leaning more towards the latter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

So nothing to do with MT

I believe he does have a small involvement with car storage there but his auction house, garages and processing is no longer on the Showground. 

DHL now have a huge presence on the Showground with vehicles, garage and paint shops although I’m not sure the latter are in place yet.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

The new owners are AEPG but are actually only custodians for the Agricultural Society. My understanding is that they won’t actually pay for the Showground until development begins. Of course Panthers could ride there for a number of years until the track is swallowed up, but that, I believe is not what AEPG want. I engaged with the CEO at an open day earlier this year (he had no idea who I was) and I slowly turned the conversation to Speedway, it was clear he didn’t want it, he even said the rent for the Speedway was a peppercorn rent per meeting (it isn’t) and that he should be charging 10 times more per meeting (that would make the rent circa £20k per meeting)! He’s either a very shrewd businessman or he’s away with the fairies. I’m leaning more towards the latter.

Rent of £2k per meeting is a pretty low price.

A decent wedding venue costs you £5k - £10k to hire.

Edited by BassoRacingFan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I thought exactly the same when I read that.

I know my local councillor well so will bend his ear. It's out of his patch but the citywide plan isn't so I'll ask some questions and he can liaise with the local lot. The local plan is reviewed after 5 years (& every 5 years thereafter) so it may change then. I don't think that hope is lost for 2024 unless Buster agreed to something when he took the club over. He only gave us a couple of years at that time.

I’m pinning my hopes on planning being refused and AEPG baleing and someone getting ownership of The Showground and putting on quality events that appeal to locals as well as people who travel from afar. Then again I’ve been pinning my hopes on Posh reaching the Premiership for far to long lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BassoRacingFan said:

Rent of £2k per meeting is a pretty low price.

A decent wedding venue costs you £5k - £10k to hire.

If you think a venue costs that, then you should take up a new job as a wedding planner asap. You could buy the Panthers in no time..

• Like 1