British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

4 minutes ago, BassoRacingFan said:

Why did Leicester not sign Artem Laguta?

Now signed for Peterborough 

What rubbish show that was! Lions were poor. Track was poor along with some of the riders.  3 home defeats on the bounce. Not good enough I'm afraid. It's amazing on this forum how when the lions are winning all the leicester employees come out on this forum defending every inch of this club along with gloating and now I don't see any.. hmmmmm. Its all gone quiet with SD and some of the riders at the end of the meeting also. Where are they? What a shame and don't blame it on morris either. He could have got injured for all I care. The back up plan was plain right shocking 

• Like 1

The wheels have really come of with a vengeance! I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think the manager must take responsibility. When Nick Morris was suspended Lions could have used rider replacement. Morris wasn't riding all that well, particularly at home, and it would have made sense to see if the rest of the team could cover for his absence. If only just in the short term while an adequate replacement was found. Instead it seemed as if panic set in and Batchelor was quickly signed as replacement. That didn't work out so there was more panic with Bomber and Batchelor departing and Richie Worrall and Craig Cook arriving. Richie does his best but he's only a middle order rider and there's not much I can say about Craig. He used to be more or unless unbeatable at Beaumont Park but the Manager, who must know everything there's is to know about him, still signed him despite his form in the Premiership in recent seasons. My view, for what it's worth, is that it would have been better to have tried the R/R route and, if another heat leader to replace Morris, couldn't have been found, continue with that to the end of the season.

43 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

The wheels have really come of with a vengeance! I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think the manager must take responsibility. When Nick Morris was suspended Lions could have used rider replacement. Morris wasn't riding all that well, particularly at home, and it would have made sense to see if the rest of the team could cover for his absence. If only just in the short term while an adequate replacement was found. Instead it seemed as if panic set in and Batchelor was quickly signed as replacement. That didn't work out so there was more panic with Bomber and Batchelor departing and Richie Worrall and Craig Cook arriving. Richie does his best but he's only a middle order rider and there's not much I can say about Craig. He used to be more or unless unbeatable at Beaumont Park but the Manager, who must know everything there's is to know about him, still signed him despite his form in the Premiership in recent seasons. My view, for what it's worth, is that it would have been better to have tried the R/R route and, if another heat leader to replace Morris, couldn't have been found, continue with that to the end of the season.

The trouble with R/R is that it's OK when the team are riding good, if somebody gets injured during a match or a rider is having an off night it can all come unstuck pretty quickly, seen it many times. 

Like you say maybe in hindsight it would have been better not to have chosen 2 riders the rest of the league had already turned their noses up at. 

Of course we also don't know what budget the manager is working to

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

r/r wasn't particularly strong though, Harris, Sedgmen & the two reserves available to take the rides. Although that looks decent now we've seen Batchelor & Cook struggle, it didn't look a strong option at the time. Of course dropping Harris has been the biggest mistake & it's hard to justify it.

One other issue Leicester have was their insistence on using Morris at 5, when he wasn't one of their top 3 riders. Had he been at 3 or 4 with Harris or Lawson at 5, then his average would likely be higher (no heat 13s) & possibly better replacement options would have been available?

2 hours ago, BassoRacingFan said:

Why did Leicester not sign Artem Laguta?

In place of who? He couldn't replace Cook!

Just got home after accident closing the motorway but Leicester just do not have enough current top end support for Max Fricke when it comes to racing the opposing 1&5 we come unstuck especially in heat 13 & 15

The strength in depth option has not worked and now all the GP stars that wanted to do UK have signed elsewhere so anyone incoming is likely to riders released by other clubs as they strengthen for the Play Offs .

Unfortunately after tonight I feel this may have been one home loss too many to get into the Play Offs and Fan support is going to drop now so Monday will most likely be the last Lions Premiership meeting at home 

4 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Just got home after accident closing the motorway but Leicester just do not have enough current top end support for Max Fricke when it comes to racing the opposing 1&5 we come unstuck especially in heat 13 & 15

The strength in depth option has not worked and now all the GP stars that wanted to do UK have signed elsewhere so anyone incoming is likely to riders released by other clubs as they strengthen for the Play Offs .

Unfortunately after tonight I feel this may have been one home loss too many to get into the Play Offs and Fan support is going to drop now so Monday will most likely be the last Lions Premiership meeting at home 

Chin up ,not over yet,big turn around at aces 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BassoRacingFan said:

I would have replaced Lawson and Cook with Laguta & 1 other.

Laguta was poor at Beaumont earlier in the season. Tbf, I know he hasn't rid all UK tracks but he was poor anywhere but AFA and NSS. 

6 hours ago, flagrag said:

We were discussing this at Foxhall Thursday, max rode his socks off all night but it must get disheartening sitting on the start with the like of Emil and Doyle either side of him in heat 13&15 and no genuine support from a teammate. He’s a top rider but max is always gonna get beat up trying to beat both on his own

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

We were discussing this at Foxhall Thursday, max rode his socks off all night but it must get disheartening sitting on the start with the like of Emil and Doyle either side of him in heat 13&15 and no genuine support from a teammate. He’s a top rider but max is always gonna get beat up trying to beat both on his own

On the bsn coverage max didn’t even know Leicesters league position in the table or even if they were in the playoffs. 
and I’m sure many riders are the same as none of them know the team score during the meeting but always know their personal score. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89buttons said:

It’s a number ones job

7 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

Just got home after accident closing the motorway

can i just send my best wishes to anyone who may have been hurt in the accident.

• Haha 1