British Speedway Forum
Fortythirtyeight

Northern Junior League 2023

The Northern Junior League will once again run in 2023 ( 14 continuous years ? ) and the good news is that both Workington and Glasgow will be re-entering make it a six team league once again.

Teams competing ;

Glasgow

Armadale

West Lothian ( based at Edinburgh )

Workington

Berwick 

Redcar

There will be no ‘ Teesside ‘ team this year due to lack of 125cc riders.

The NJL AGM has decided that due to a lack of new riders being available riders from the NDL with an average of 5 or below will be allowed to compete in the NJL as long as their 500 partner is not an NDL declared rider , or a rider with an average of 3 or below in the NDL can be used with a non NDL rider.

This is aimed at giving current NDL riders extra track time .

Squads will be named before the season commences.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 2:36 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

The NJL AGM has decided that due to a lack of new riders being available riders from the NDL with an average of 5 or below will be allowed to compete in the NJL as long as their 500 partner is not an NDL declared rider , or a rider with an average of 3 or below in the NDL can be used with a non NDL rider.

Not sure I quite understood that. Can a 5.00 NL rider partner with a 3.00 NL rider?

18 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure I quite understood that. Can a 5.00 NL rider partner with a 3.00 NL rider?

Usual speedway rules, clear as mud.

My understanding is yes, but only if the 3 rider is not in a current NDL team.

18 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

If a rider is 3 at the start of the year can he continue if his average goes over 5 during the season

4 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

If a rider is 3 at the start of the year can he continue if his average goes over 5 during the season

Yes but , if he’s that good, why the hell would he ?

30 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Yes but , if he’s that good, why the hell would he ?

To be able to ride Glasgow and Redcar who are not In the Ndl 

20 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

To be able to ride Glasgow and Redcar who are not In the Ndl 

Go to Redcar on a practice day or amateur meeting , no good riding against wobblers if your averaging more than 5 in the NDL, and your lad has done umpteen laps around Redcar anyway.

15 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Go to Redcar on a practice day or amateur meeting , no good riding against wobblers if your averaging more than 5 in the NDL, and your lad has done umpteen laps around Redcar anyway.

Need tape time not just laps sadly practice sessions don't offer this. plan is to do amateur meetings as well to get the racing sharpness 

11 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Need tape time not just laps sadly practice sessions don't offer this. plan is to do amateur meetings as well to get the racing sharpness 

So just to practice three starts ? I’m sure Workington can let you use their tapes.

4 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So just to practice three starts ? I’m sure Workington can let you use their tapes.

Can't see them bringing there tapes to Redcar when you already have some . First season as a 500 rider so need the race situation at the tapes as often as possible regardless of the opposition you can't recreate it in a  practice 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:36 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

The Northern Junior League will once again run in 2023 ( 14 continuous years ? ) and the good news is that both Workington and Glasgow will be re-entering make it a six team league once again.

Teams competing ;

Glasgow

Armadale

West Lothian ( based at Edinburgh )

Workington

Berwick 

Redcar

There will be no ‘ Teesside ‘ team this year due to lack of 125cc riders.

This is aimed at giving current NDL riders extra track time .

Squads will be named before the season commences.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:31 PM, szkocjasid said:

On 1/14/2023 at 8:50 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

So a 5.00 or below rider can ride with an non NL rider or a rider at 3.00 or below can ride with a non NL rider?

Is that not the exact same rule? Simply a 5.00 or below rider can ride with a non NL rider? There is no need to add "or a 3.00 or below rider" (as they are 5.00 or below rider)!

No wonder the rulebook so so long in speedway lol!

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

So a 5.00 or below rider can ride with an non NL rider or a rider at 3.00 or below can ride with a non NL rider?

Is that not the exact same rule? Simply a 5.00 or below rider can ride with a non NL rider? There is no need to add "or a 3.00 or below rider" (as they are 5.00 or below rider)!

No wonder the rulebook so so long in speedway lol!

The detail is…if the 5 or 3 rider is in a declared NDL team then his partner needs to be a non NDL rider.

So, for example , Berwick can field Mason Watson ( below 5 in a declared NDL team ) with Kyran Douglas ( a 3 NDL average but currently NOT in a NDL team )…..I think.

But if they decide to field to field a current 3 average NDL  rider then his partner still should be a a non NDL rider …..I think.

But then they COULD field two current NDL riders just to give them rides but one of them won’t have his points count , as some sides did last season !

it’s speedway rules, your not supposed to understand them!

On 1/15/2023 at 7:05 PM, phillwhitewasmad said:

Can't see them bringing there tapes to Redcar when you already have some . First season as a 500 rider so need the race situation at the tapes as often as possible regardless of the opposition you can't recreate it in a  practice 

Agree, practicing helps to a point but experience under race conditions is so valuable and can not be replaced by endless practice. .   Learnt that for myself when I had a go at road racing & am certain same holds true for speedway.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fina said:

Agree, practicing helps to a point but experience under race conditions is so valuable and can not be replaced by endless practice. .   Learnt that for myself when I had a go at road racing & am certain same holds true for speedway.

Thing is we have a plan and a process that we follow which doesn't include doing a million laps of irrelevant practice where the only thing you learn os how to change tyres. Sadly most training days are booked solid so it's difficult to get a decent amount of time per session to be able to stop and talk to the rider whilst they are on track it's no criticism it's just an observation. 

On 1/16/2023 at 7:50 PM, phillwhitewasmad said:

Thing is we have a plan and a process that we follow which doesn't include doing a million laps of irrelevant practice where the only thing you learn os how to change tyres. Sadly most training days are booked solid so it's difficult to get a decent amount of time per session to be able to stop and talk to the rider whilst they are on track it's no criticism it's just an observation. 

Another challenge to the development of young riders that needs sorting out to help secure the future of the sport.  As far as I know one I give a bit of help to does not have a junior team place  this season, after getting first guest booking at NDL end of last which is a real shame as its bound to have a negative effect on his progress