British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

On 4/6/2023 at 8:44 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Great shout i shamefully forgot about Martins involvement with Long Eaton although not part of the promotion. Buxton's withdrawal from the MDL was costly for them as it was a great brreeding ground for potential riders especially when competing against clubs with deeper pockets. I think riders would appear from everywhere for the chance to ride at Belle Vue even with midweek fixtures but any experiences with Stoke and speaking to many others is that the promotion treated the second half riders poorly and would be the most likely track to not stage the even despite being a weekend venue. 

I do slightly disagree about things at stoke. Things did improve (abet with the aid of volunteers) everything was done to help when carmarthen ran as the mdl team. The ghost teams were  destroyed by the BSPL premier junior league which has now been kicked deep into the long grass. 

Edited by Petecc
I'm an idiot
  • Like 1

As controversial as it may sound I do think the BSPL were right to pull the plug on Ghost teams. I agree it has had a knock on effect with regards to the number of teams operating in the MDL but it did need to be done. I speak from experience with my involvement in the early days of the MDL. There were several ghost teams back then. Some were run by genuine enthusiast who wanted to provide a platform for youngsters whilst keeping alive a not too distant name from the past. Sadly though there was a small minority of ghost teams run by unsavoury ego obsessed muppets who were far more interested in using the best riders within the rules to fill their own trophy cabinets. It was very embarrassing for the league IMO when one of these teams got a 30-6 whitewash and boasted about it - all too easy when you fielded 4 NL standard riders against 4 juniors. That said a couple of MDL teams fielded by the established clubs were run by unsavoury characters as well.   

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

As controversial as it may sound I do think the BSPL were right to pull the plug on Ghost teams. I agree it has had a knock on effect with regards to the number of teams operating in the MDL but it did need to be done. I speak from experience with my involvement in the early days of the MDL. There were several ghost teams back then. Some were run by genuine enthusiast who wanted to provide a platform for youngsters whilst keeping alive a not too distant name from the past. Sadly though there was a small minority of ghost teams run by unsavoury ego obsessed muppets who were far more interested in using the best riders within the rules to fill their own trophy cabinets. It was very embarrassing for the league IMO when one of these teams got a 30-6 whitewash and boasted about it - all too easy when you fielded 4 NL standard riders against 4 juniors. That said a couple of MDL teams fielded by the established clubs were run by unsavoury characters as well.   

Having run teams in both the Initial MDL and in NJL leagues with a view of reintroducing a venture in Halifax, this particular team gave opportunities to now established riders and sadly ones who walked away from the sport.

In and around West Yorkshire the publicity not only kept the name alive but an interest that sadly now has waned.

Some of the meetings had more than normal in attendance as lapsed fans returned for a look at what was going on.

Unfortunately it was not to be in Halifax with a council hell bent on not allowing a return, but whilst the Ghost team ran so did riding opportunities.

Given the prospect of any potential return from a Ghost team, then why not allow them to run on the proviso of a planning application.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dukes said:

Having run teams in both the Initial MDL and in NJL leagues with a view of reintroducing a venture in Halifax, this particular team gave opportunities to now established riders and sadly ones who walked away from the sport.

In and around West Yorkshire the publicity not only kept the name alive but an interest that sadly now has waned.

Some of the meetings had more than normal in attendance as lapsed fans returned for a look at what was going on.

Unfortunately it was not to be in Halifax with a council hell bent on not allowing a return, but whilst the Ghost team ran so did riding opportunities.

Given the prospect of any potential return from a Ghost team, then why not allow them to run on the proviso of a planning application.

I remember you running in the initial MDL. You were one of the genuine ones. Sadly it was the minority running under the Ghost team banner that let it down for everyone else. I do agree though that maybe they could be allowed to run again but under very strict criteria. 

16 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Who? That wasn't my experience, though that may have been later on.